Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Changed compressors and now i have issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed compressors and now i have issues?

I changed compressors in my 98 T800 in my sig, it was getting old and starting to leak so it was just time, however now after I got it changed out it builds air like it is supposed to, cuts out when it is supposed to, but when it looses a wee bit of pressure (down to 110-112 psi) it sounds like i have a good size air leak under the hood that last approx 2 or 3 seconds, then it stops making funny noises and then a couple seconds later the compressor cuts in and runs up to 120-125 psi where it cuts out again. I dont know whats causing the air leak sound im hearing or where its coming from because i cant get it to duplicate these issues when its sitting still..... I will try it later today at 1200 or 1300 rpm to see if it will do it again for me, I didnt change the Governor or pressure relief valve when i did the compressor.... unsure what to try over the weekend but i will try to diagnose and fix on tuesday..........

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any chance it could be an automatic blow off to help exhaust moisture from the tank?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:29 PM

at this point in time I dont think its an air dryer issue but i will have a look, there is a check valve in the dryer that may or may not have anything to do with it haha
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be the governor, they are less than $30.00 here. It could also be a lazy discharge on the air dryer. Let us know when you check it out later.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Could be the governor, they are less than $30.00 here. It could also be a lazy discharge on the air dryer. Let us know when you check it out later.
So how do I properly diagnose a lazy discharge? just listen to see if it keeps hissing longer than it should?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006BLKMegacab
So how do I properly diagnose a lazy discharge? just listen to see if it keeps hissing longer than it should?
Yes, with the engine running wait by the air dryer. When it spits or discharges see how long it takes to shut off. If it does not shut off immediately after discharging push up into the center of the discharge hole with you finger to reset the valve. If that works you can remove the lower valve assembly dismantle it on a bench the clean and lube it. Do you have a scew on filter on your air dryer? If so you should replace that as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Yes, with the engine running wait by the air dryer. When it spits or discharges see how long it takes to shut off. If it does not shut off immediately after discharging push up into the center of the discharge hole with you finger to reset the valve. If that works you can remove the lower valve assembly dismantle it on a bench the clean and lube it. Do you have a scew on filter on your air dryer? If so you should replace that as well.
It was hard to find because it was very faint at 8-900 rpm but at 1400 the lazy discharge became very noticeable...... im thinking it might just be an easier fix to just go get a reman air dryer because trying to push the valve up to reset it didnt help for some reason, and it is definitely the dryer that is discharging when it isnt supposed to be that drops the pressure and is causing the compressor to cut in early
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM

Ok, I installed a new Reman Bendix Air dryer and governor (for the $18 i wasnt going to not do it anyway) and it still has a lazy discharge, when i push up on the valve to reset the old fashioned way it will stop but it seems to have the same discharge at approxametly 115 psi that the old dryer-governor combo had although this one is a lot shorter of an event and doesnt seem to cause the compressor to cut back in......going for a drive later tonight to see what happens at speed and will advise