ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Need an engine for a 2003 3500 or a rebuilder in Calgary

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You really should pull the injectors, there is a great chance of hitting the tips of them as the head comes off & out. The fuel lines, transfer tube lines, then exhaust rockers, then the injectors come out with a small heel type bar. More than likely the hole with the dropped valve, then injector tip will be damaged. Like was said hopefully only the piston is damaged, can only bore the block 0.5mm. Valve seats can be replace if the head is okay.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I've got the head 99% off, I couldn't pull the 4 rear most pushrods. They hit the cowling at the back. Tried to pull the head anyway(using an engine hoist) but it hangs up on those dang pushrods.

I did however get it up enough to look in the #1 cylinder. The piston is toast. Whats left of two valves are imbeded in it with lots of shrapnel. Not sure about the cylinder wall, piston was at TDC. Oh yeah when I took intake heater off there were large pieces of valve laying in there.

Once I get the piston off how do I roll the engine over?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:11 PM

The pushrods should come out through access holes in the cowl like the BR-style trucks. You'll have to pull the wiper cowl off, then there should be rubber plugs that you remove to allow the pushrods to come out.

So it killed at least one intake valve? If there's pieces in the intake manifold, there is the very real possibility of pieces crossing over to 1 or more other cylinders. Not good...think happy thoughts!

You should be able to roll the engine over with a barring tool-the one that pops in the hole on the passenger side of the flywheel adapter that's covered with a rubber plug. They're a fairly common tool to find.

Jason
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM
The Guru

I've never put those plugs back into the cowling. You can wiggle out the push rods and studs out thru them.

I got 245k out of my hubs. If I can get another 245k, I would be happy with that. I'm kinda split between forgetting about it or doing some PM on it every few oil changes. So far the forgetting is winning the battle.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 PM

I kinda end up running on the forgetting schedule as well.....
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 PM

The rubber plugs pop out from the bottom, no need to take the wiper cover off. Just lift the push rod straight up into the hole and then you can tilt down and out.

All 4 valves in cylinder #1 had dropped in. I saw 1 or 2 small flecks in the other cylinders which I cleaned out. Piston was a bugger to get out as it had cracked in half. Had to push it up from the bottom with a floor jack and all my 1/2" extesions stacked on each other.

Cylinder walls looks amazingly good. I think I can clean it up and shove a new piston in it. Whats the difference in effect between a ball hone and regular stone hone?

Oh yeah two push rods were bent as well.

Sorry I left the injectors in, #1 injector is toast and I'm thinking of going for new performance injectors anyway. Although the rest do look like they came out unscathed.

What should the headgasket look like? The one that came out almost looks like 4 gaskets stacked together.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Pretty sure the CR engines use a MLS headgasket-Multi Layer Steel-but one of the 3G guys will have to confirm.

Did it bend the connecting rod as well? Probably worth a close inspection just to make sure all is well. All 4 valves broken-that's something. Did it drop a valve seat? Imagine it made a mess of the head anyways. Hopefully the cylinder wall will clean up for you.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Carnage pics!

Old 09-28-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That doesn't look good!
How is the cylinder?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM

That is way better than what Iwas thinking. I have seen way worse get rebuilt better than new. As long as the cylinder wall didnt get beat up too bad, good to go...

Kevin
Old 09-28-2008, 06:39 PM

Cylinder wall looks good, I'm thinking ball hone and call it good.

Ant tips on finding a re-man head? Cummins direct? I'm guessing that one is not rebuildable. Does a reman head come loaded with valves/springs/rockers?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Chapter President

I have an 04 engine i need to sell. you can call me Len @ 404-839-1018.
No turbo with it, but includes exhaust manifold.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:05 PM

I'm guessing GA stands for Georgia? Couldn't get much farther from here without getting wet.....
Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM

LOL, ,mind you if the price is right,, trucking might only be a couple hundred dollars. Heads are hard to come by, (at least reasonably priced ones) I seen one on compd for a thousand complete. a little high, but workable

Kevin
Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
LOL, ,mind you if the price is right,, trucking might only be a couple hundred dollars. Heads are hard to come by, (at least reasonably priced ones) I seen one on compd for a thousand complete. a little high, but workable

Kevin
compd?....

Quick Reply: Need an engine for a 2003 3500 or a rebuilder in Calgary