ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Looking for house lot

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for house lot

Just though i'd see if anyone has spotted good deals on land lately. I'm looking for a lot in or near Edmonton, like within 10km or so of city limits. My big problem looking is money, I need a small lot for a small starter home that is like $50-75,000(the cheaper the better). The only one i've found so far is in Onoway and not to picky about there, hoping for something closer in. If anyone knows of anything let me know
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Ummm....................you and me both.

Let you know if I find and vice versa!

Also, if you find just a shop on some land, let me know.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
Ummm....................you and me both.

Let you know if I find and vice versa!

Also, if you find just a shop on some land, let me know.
Not exactly local but lots of storage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Cave-Home...|39:1|240:1318
Old 02-22-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Not exactly local but lots of storage:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Cave-Home...|39:1|240:1318

That is unique..................note the city "Festus". Kinda has a nice ring to it eh?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Wow that is pretty odd.

Got a few leads but still looking, the cheaper the better. As long as I can build a garage that I can park my truck in, i'm happy
Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mocho
Wow that is pretty odd.

Got a few leads but still looking, the cheaper the better. As long as I can build a garage that I can park my truck in, i'm happy
Wow! You're starting to sound like me with that statement. I just want a shop with living quarters...........worry about the house later.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 PM

Wow! You're starting to sound like me with that statement. I just want a shop with living quarters...........worry about the house later.
Hah. Anything is better then living at home. Not to mention, having a house to myself, I don't need anything big. Even before I lifted my truck and could clear the garage door, there was never any room in there, can barely walk. Now the driveway is full of crap and I can barely park on there to do anything, I am just so sick of it. I was outside the past few weeks when it was -15C installing my new system freezing my a$$ off I am really considering the lot in Onoway they are only asking $65k, it is pretty big so I could have myself a decent size garage, like 26x26, just would prefer in Edmonton. The only thing is, my budget doesn't allow for much, I need a lot and money to build like 150k max. So I have to be cheap on the house part for a good garage I will only finish 1 bedroom if I have to

Don't worry I will build as big of garage as I can, gonna be building the house myself so it doesn't cost much more
Old 02-23-2009, 09:36 AM

You could try Thorsby..My wife drives to the city every day and it is quite affordable...We live on a farm outside of Thorsby but I know there are some pretty good deals on lots in town!

Shayne
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Hah. Anything is better then living at home. Not to mention, having a house to myself, I don't need anything big. Even before I lifted my truck and could clear the garage door, there was never any room in there, can barely walk. Now the driveway is full of crap and I can barely park on there to do anything, I am just so sick of it. I was outside the past few weeks when it was -15C installing my new system freezing my a$$ off I am really considering the lot in Onoway they are only asking $65k, it is pretty big so I could have myself a decent size garage, like 26x26, just would prefer in Edmonton. The only thing is, my budget doesn't allow for much, I need a lot and money to build like 150k max. So I have to be cheap on the house part for a good garage I will only finish 1 bedroom if I have to

Don't worry I will build as big of garage as I can, gonna be building the house myself so it doesn't cost much more

I have a house in the city. But, alas even at just the city assessment and the good guy deal, it is more than double of what it appears you're thinking.
I have a 24x26 garage. I thought it would be big enough when I bought this place, but I can hardly walk around things and it contains no frilly items from the woman.

So needless to say, that is why I'm up to the shop with living quarters now. My time is limited, so I need to move around projects that may or may not be apart at any given time.

I found this ad, but there are a numbers of ideals wrong with it: http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/reo/1045699788.html
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM

I have a house in the city. But, alas even at just the city assessment and the good guy deal, it is more than double of what it appears you're thinking.
I have a 24x26 garage. I thought it would be big enough when I bought this place, but I can hardly walk around things and it contains no frilly items from the woman.

So needless to say, that is why I'm up to the shop with living quarters now. My time is limited, so I need to move around projects that may or may not be apart at any given time.

I found this ad, but there are a numbers of ideals wrong with it: http://edmonton.en.craigslist.ca/reo/1045699788.html
Well the thing is, since I would be doing most of the work myself, it would be very very cheap to build. I'm pricing it out roughly and 100k would build a pretty decent house. Currently working with my dad building a house outside the city, 2300 sq/ft bungalow 28x32 garage, probably going to build it for around 200k, for everything done, and this is like a 800k house and the lot was only 180k.

I know you can't buy anything for 150k, but that's why I want to buy a lot and build myself and I know in reality it would end up around 170k or so. I am pursueing the lot in Onoway for 65k, it's been for sale for quite some time and maybe they will take a really low offer and it's big enough for a big garage! I would like to afford more, but I would never qualify and i'm just going to be living alone anyway. I wouldn't even get 150k mortgage until my truck is payed for, which I need to do before I can even start building.

Concrete and framing is probably the most expensive things and I can do it all myself, the only things I would need to hire out is finishing work.

My plan for now is to buy a lot when they are cheap, get my truck payed for and pay down the lot a bit then build it and pay for a lot of it as I go, so the mortgage at the end is low. Wouldn't even start building for atleast a year and a half.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Concrete and framing is probably the most expensive things and I can do it all myself, the only things I would need to hire out is finishing work.
My buddy is a finishing carpenter..............and **** good if I may say - he gets called out by most builders to fix up others' mess ups. When you are ready, let me know and I'll PM his number.