ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Legalities of selling a deleted truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legalities of selling a deleted truck?

Ok so this thought has been rolling around in my head for the past while. Down the road I know we in Alberta will have emissions testing, its bound to happen like it or not. Its just the way we're going in the world. With that said if I ever had to sell my 2012 what legal ramifications are possible for selling a deleted truck? Or is there any at this point and time?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think you will find the burden will lay on the buyer when they go to get it registered and pass their first inspection. A savvy buyer might be aware that it will cost them a couple grand to bring the truck back up to legal standards and try to get that cost removed from the selling price before buying it.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
JFN

Originally Posted by NoSparkplugs
Ok so this thought has been rolling around in my head for the past while. Down the road I know we in Alberta will have emissions testing, its bound to happen like it or not. Its just the way we're going in the world. With that said if I ever had to sell my 2012 what legal ramifications are possible for selling a deleted truck? Or is there any at this point and time?
I will assume you have all the removed parts, so I would do 1 of two actions, either re install the parts, or tell the new owner and let him decide if he wants it as is along with the parts, or does he want it back to factory configuration. I am speaking in general terms, as I don't have a clue what is done to delete.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by JFN
I will assume you have all the removed parts, so I would do 1 of two actions, either re install the parts, or tell the new owner and let him decide if he wants it as is along with the parts, or does he want it back to factory configuration. I am speaking in general terms, as I don't have a clue what is done to delete.
We kept our parts and will return to stock, you might need the parts for the next truck. lol. I can see the delete kits being passed down through the families now.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this does go through in the future...Would that mean that I would have to re-install all the emissions back on my 77 Pontaic including the CAT..?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I think you will find the burden will lay on the buyer when they go to get it registered and pass their first inspection. A savvy buyer might be aware that it will cost them a couple grand to bring the truck back up to legal standards and try to get that cost removed from the selling price before buying it.
in california the SELLER must smog the vehicle. the buyer can pay for it but the seller must make sure it will pass smog. remember, it is against federal and state law to remove or alter ANY smog equipment !!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jtamulonis
in california the SELLER must smog the vehicle. the buyer can pay for it but the seller must make sure it will pass smog. remember, it is against federal and state law to remove or alter ANY smog equipment !!
Yeh, we have some bits off right now being serviced, something to do with the CEL on and O2 sensors if that makes any sense. The instant the parts are serviceable for the climate they were intended to operate in they will be installed.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Additionally in CA, the buyer is entitled to cost of repairs to return the vehicle to legal after transaction if at time of transaction the vehicle was altered even if buyer know it!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:19 PM

I highly doubt it will be anytime soon that we will see regulations like that here in Alberta. I really doubt you will even own the truck long enough for those laws to be a reality
Old 12-01-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by morkable
I highly doubt it will be anytime soon that we will see regulations like that here in Alberta. I really doubt you will even own the truck long enough for those laws to be a reality
Agreed. Pretty hard to lead the charge in the oilfield/oilsands and deny their emissions, then try and crack down on vehicles.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM
The Guru

Tate, its a bigger issue than just a few older oil field equipment. Our coal power plants are the one of the province biggest CO2/NOX emission emitter. Just like our friends down south. Most of those older plants will be grand fathered and any of the new emissions regs will not apply.

Any new industrial equipment has to be up the NEB/AUB emission standards (its is very strict and probably the most time consuming part of the application/approval of any new industrial equipment). This explains why the recent big shift in equipment purchases have been electric motors, as they emit no local emissions but the really power plants are biggest emitter of emissions.

As for our vehicles, I can see that if we ever get smog regulated, it would only apply to relatively new vehicles. I really have a hard time seeing any changes to Alberta vehicle emission regs for 10 to 20 years down the road. Any even then I'm sure sure we will ever be at the same level of yearly emission testing as Vancouver or California.

Right now I can live with some gobal warming six months of winter gets old very quickly.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:56 PM

About two years ago I saw an 09 ford on the dealers lot for sale.( ford dealer) The truck was well kept with about 30,000 miles on it. After looking I saw that it had been deleted & a H&S programer put on it. The dealer said it was a trade for a new 6.7. No warranty even with less than 36,000 miles. So my point is that I don't think the dealer could have sold it as is if the law says it must meet emissions. Just thought I'd throw that out.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Currently, some heavy truck dealers are being told by their parent companies, that they are not allowed to take a deleted truck in on trade, period. Basically the dealers trying to cover their own butts on this one
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM

I can see dealers haveing an issue selling a deleted truck, they have to sell under amvic laws in alberta, unless you sign an amvic waiver, wich basically means you buy the vechle as is were is. I don't see emissions testing on diesels comeing up in alberta for a long time, we don't even test gas vechiles. Dealers in GP are putting delete kits on brand new trucks when you buy them.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by rage_blue
amvic laws in alberta
Biggest joke going right there..