ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Here are some of my thoughts regarding my truck,, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I let him know.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:28 PM

I talked it over with Kelly, and we figured we might as well just do it. We can always pay taxes later,, LMAO
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by dvst8r
The bent CR rod you have is from injector hang hydro lock for sure. There is no way combustion pressure did that, and iirc the piston attached to that rod looked like a marshmallow.
Not sure about that Brett. That motor has been apart a few times. I wanted to say it spun a bearing first, than smashed the piston into the head. The shop that did the machine work says its common failure, same goes for the cam bearings issues.

Probably one of the worst failure we seen, besides that 12V we got. Thinking about how the oil poured out still makes me laugh with its marshwellow burnt looking piston.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:03 PM
"Swole It like ya Stole It"

Hey Morkable!!

Just subscribing...

You know my combo.. Lightened, polished VP rods and Monotherms..
But fuel only at 850 ish..
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM

yeah, the big difference between yours and mine is that mine is a 6.7 block, which changes the angles etc. I am also considerably heavier fueled than yours. If I was building a 5.9 it would be like yours though for sure
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I'm still putting together a CR engine parts list & procedures that came from discussions on a local CR engine failure/rebuild earlier this year.

While Kevin's race truck is way beyond anything that most of us will ever have, would the forged 12V rods be fine on the street for a good running, dead reliable 600HP CR?

What other reasonable rod options are out there?
Joe, I even thought about pulling those CR rods out of my 2010 6.7L and throwing in a set of 24VP rods, just haven't found time yet to do it. Also would like to fix a few other common CR engine issues.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Not sure about that Brett. That motor has been apart a few times. I wanted to say it spun a bearing first, than smashed the piston into the head. The shop that did the machine work says its common failure, same goes for the cam bearings issues.

Probably one of the worst failure we seen, besides that 12V we got. Thinking about how the oil poured out still makes me laugh with its marshwellow burnt looking piston.
So even then it wasn't the strength of the rod, that was the issue.

Yeah that 12v was gross, it was like black whipped cream.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Joe, I even thought about pulling those CR rods out of my 2010 6.7L and throwing in a set of 24VP rods, just haven't found time yet to do it. Also would like to fix a few other common CR engine issues.

The crazy idea of pulling my engine & fixing the CR weakpoints has crossed my mind.
It would soooo easy on an engine that's in good shape. Quick hone on the cylinders, 2003 coated pistons, new rings with greater end gap, 2003 nozzles,
machine off the cast intake, balance it all. Done!

Doing that in a controlled fashion rather than reacting to an engine problem or failure would be so much better, but who has the time & money to do that?

Back to connecting rods...

It looks like the Cummins forged rods would be a nice peace of mind upgrade for a low power engine that tows a fair bit like mine.

They're available everywhere for reasonable cost. Plus prep plus balancing.

http://www.motorsportdiesel.com/stor...-10721529.aspx

Are there any rod options between the $2500 R&R's or Carillos & the OEM forged rods?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Are there any rod options between the $2500 R&R's or Carillos & the OEM forged rods?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM

The crazy idea of pulling my engine & fixing the CR weakpoints has crossed my mind.
It would soooo easy on an engine that's in good shape. Quick hone on the cylinders, 2003 coated pistons, new rings with greater end gap, 2003 nozzles,
machine off the cast intake, balance it all. Done!

Doing that in a controlled fashion rather than reacting to an engine problem or failure would be so much better, but who has the time & money to do that?

Back to connecting rods...

It looks like the Cummins forged rods would be a nice peace of mind upgrade for a low power engine that tows a fair bit like mine.

They're available everywhere for reasonable cost. Plus prep plus balancing.

http://www.motorsportdiesel.com/stor...-10721529.aspx

Whats your end goal Joe? For a 500 hp tow truck, I think what you're looking at is way over kill. 625's is way over kill. All the more power to you if thats what you want to do, but unless you're flirting with 4 digit power, most stock components are fine. The early piston/injector combo would definitely be a step in the right direction. But thats a lot of work to fix an issue that normally doesn't show its face unless you're running a Smarty and dual CP3's. If you're gonna pull a CR, put a 12v back in it, if you're looking for reliability and simplicity.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:18 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Tate
Whats your end goal Joe? For a 500 hp tow truck, I think what you're looking at is way over kill. 625's is way over kill. All the more power to you if thats what you want to do, but unless you're flirting with 4 digit power, most stock components are fine. The early piston/injector combo would definitely be a step in the right direction. But thats a lot of work to fix an issue that normally doesn't show its face unless you're running a Smarty and dual CP3's. If you're gonna pull a CR, put a 12v back in it, if you're looking for reliability and simplicity.
I agree with Tate, for a daily driver it isn't required. I wanted my 2010 to be able to handle around 800-1000rwhp and still use it as a daily driver. I'm still waiting on someone to build a RFE68 (reasonable priced) so I can least try to hang with the 12V DD trucks. Hate to throw this out, but lots of guys have run near stock trucks and make big power with them.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
All excellent points & good discussion guys but wait until I start a new thread instead of cluttering up Kevin's race truck discussion.

Sorry about that Kevin, back to the original topic...
Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 PM
The Guru

Joe, these things need to be discussed. If you melt down at some point, I hope you would feel comfortable to allow us to get you back so you can run again. Aftermarket rods in a daily driver non puller/non drag truck is over kill. I would wait till something occurrs, throw in a set of 12V's rods.

I want a 6.7L to make some local Alberta power. Way to many have heard way to many stories of 6.7L issues, but don't believe any of them.

I will be building a 5.9L with the works. If you want to stop by and ask whats up, you bring the beer. Those banks intakes plenum cost around $700.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ighlight=42747