Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM

Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control.

Man, I thought to myself I sure would like some twin turbo's. So I bought a set. Then the next step was that I probably need a head gasket and o-ringing of some sort. Then I thought while I have the head off, it might be a good time to put in a cam. Then I have this hair brained idea that I will o-ring the block myself. So out comes the perfectly running engine. After taking it apart, I figure a set of bearings and rings wont hurt anything. Now I have just today ordered a set of 15.3 - 1 pistons for it. Have I lost my mind? Can't even remember the rest of the goodies I have for it. 4000k gsk, now I have the 60lb valve springs. Had to get rid of the 50 psi boost gauge and get a 100 psi. Poor me! LOL Will post pics as I go. Here is another extra thing I ordered, a frost plug, because I hear the one at the back of the block is a pain to change if it blows. Oh and the other cool trick pieces I ordered were a water pump and a vacuum pump seal kit. Studs..... ARP are also in the mix. A nice new head will be my winter project, with a milled off intake and some home grown porting. What can be done with my injection pump..... Send mine out or buy a stupid one? Pump probably also a winter time deal. Been slowly compiling all these parts over the last 6 or 7 months. Any ideas or tips are always welcome.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM

Balance everything when it is apart.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM

For the frost plug make a bracket that will hold it in place. You dont need to replace it, there are 2 bolt holes on either side of it, and then make a little plug with a bar to make sure it stays in there.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Buy shares in a tire company...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 PM

Dump the 4k and get a 5k gov spring kit. May as well dump the 215 and get a 13mm while you're at it.

Have you looked into the aftermarket intakes? Hellmann has some nice pieces. I'd go to that rather than zzfab I think. ZZ does have some nice porting pics on their website. in the 4bta project.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM

This thread, reminded me of this thread: http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=61576 Lots of ideas there.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:13 AM

I have looked onto aftermarket intakes. ZZ fab tells me they will just sell the flange for one of their intakes for a amount. Might go that way and build the rest myself. As for my pump I still have the stock 180 hp....... Might investigate to what can be done with mine or do the stupid thing.

dvst8r, That thread could be good reading. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 AM

Tate, I thought I was getting out of control with a 4,000k gsk!
Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
The Guru

Swamp, go 5k's absolutely. You might want to upgrade the valve springs. The intake stuff, is only if you want to rev/and pull hard till 5000k. I would do a real nice valve porting, you'll not to far down on HP. That zz intake is pricey buddy, and you can home build one. You going with nos/methanol spray? Which pistons did you buy? Any coatings. Man, I'm so jealous. I'm still at the starting blocks. You cutting the pistons and camshaft you going with? 13mm pump, but you need the billet camgear plate/and have to drill the camshaft deeper. If it was my money, just run a stock bottom-end. Run a big camshaft non fly cut, as the big camshaft will hurt bottom-end power, but make killer power on the top end. If your drag racing, you'll need a different converter/gear ratio to run the race only stuff. A stock engine is good for 5k. Worst case is you buy another 12v engine.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 AM

I read somewhere on the net that at 4200 or so rpms there is some funky harmonics or something going on, so for this build I kinda want to stay under that rpm if the rumor is true! As for the intake, I am looking at just getting an intake flange so all the guess work is taken out of how to attach the Swamp Donkey Custom one to the head. The pistons I ordered from Harry @ Peak are what he described as Mexican Hat pistons. I think they are just and industrial bowl piston so nothing real exotic other than it lowering my CR. And as for the Nitrous and Meth I say yes to both!

My year end is coming up ((June 30th) right away for my little business so I will know in a little bit if a inj pump is in my future or I have to give all my money to Uncle Steve.

Camshaft is this one.... http://www.peakdieselperformance.com...91/6462776.htm
Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
The Guru

The marine 370's make for a nice piston for the bigger nozzles. Guys run stock engine up to 5k lots. Just get one off those fancy fluid dampners. Sounds like an awesome build buddy. Just keep the foot on the floor.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 AM

Engine is now @ machine shop. Just for a block deck resurface and hone. And I am hot on the trail of a few 913 pumps......

Mike,

The 913 pump is not a direct replacement of what I now have????

Just cut and pasted this from your reply. Could you expand on this?

13mm pump, but you need the billet camgear plate/and have to drill the camshaft deeper.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
The Guru

http://haisleymachine.com/product_in...oducts_id=2354

I guess that a few Haisley customers had issues with the camgear walking off the camshaft, when you run the 13mm pump. Talk to Harry, he has a spare 913 pump laying around.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM

John you're cracking me up! Been there done that..

1. My "$8000" slicks for my Mustang.

Bought slicks, but needed new rear wheels. If new wheels, should go to 5 lug, if going to 5 lug should go to rear discs, then must upgrade axles to 31spline, then need 31 spline differential, then might as well go to C-clip eliminators. Then must change to 5 lug on the front too, then go to bigger discs up front, then need 5 lug road race wheels, then might as well stuff the biggest tire/wheel combo under the car which required a complete new aftermarket suspension....

2. My buddys wife's "$40000" cooking lessons.

She takes cooking lessons, no problem right. But the lessons are in this really swanky kitchen which made their old appliances & kitchen seem lame in comparison. So they decide they need new kitchen toys & appliances. But then they might as well freshen up the kitchen, well then might as well move things around better. Then might as well go to a gas range, which requires HVAC changes, which turns into a $40000 kitchen reno.

Lol.. I hope my wife never takes cooking lessons!!

Oh well it's only money!! ...Joe
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM

That describes my truck to a "T" I started out looking for just a little more power for pulling my 5th wheel,,,, ooopppsss,, took a wrong turn there somewheres

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.