ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swamp, I would up size your camshaft size some, if your gonna hack off the intake and fly cut the pistons. Its all a question of money. You could only just use the ported head route as a starting point and see. The only reason I'm doing my engine if I can every start the build, is that I'm doing most of it myself. I might just fly cut the stock pistons and see what happens. Its only parts. How bad are the cylinders? Can you re-use the old pistons? The 370's just have a wider combustion chamber for the bigger nozzle spray pattern. They are not a true forged piston. What compression ratio you going to run? Ross had pistons that are cut and coated for nearly the same money. Thats a true forged piston built to your specs. The coatings are for extreme duty, what every that is.

You want to see money being spent go to a sled puller event. They are spending tons of $$$ by each foot they drag that sled.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:35 AM

Just a pic of my engine after 6 thou was taken off the block and the cylinders were honed......
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-engine-1.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 AM

And a little bit of a closer look...... LOL
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-engine-2.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 AM

A look at my 1st cut into the block with the o-ring tool. This cut was .020 deep. If Cyl #2 o-ring grove looks rough, no fear it is just lint from paper towel!
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-engine-3.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 AM

O ring tool at work....... kinda!
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-engine-4.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 AM

Pic of o-ring installed and one cut .033 deep waiting for o-ringing..... If you have a good eye you will see about .007 0-ring protrusion. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-1st-o-ring.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:59 AM

Trying to do a micro macro whatever pic of the o-ring gap. This is not the final one, it was just a test one to get the feel for things. Have to install safety wire after the pistons are in.........
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-o-ring-gap.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:01 AM

Just another pic of the o-ring on the cyl on the right. I am very pleased with the results so far
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-o-ring.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 AM

Some clean parts after about 4 hours over the varsol tank....
Attached Thumbnails Donkey Power.  Engine build getting out of control.-cleaned.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 AM

I just ordered a 913 pump, and a fluid damper today, along with the pistons....... I have officially lost my mind! Maybe I have not lost my mind yet. I think that will happen on about hour #30 when porting my head.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
John you're cracking me up! Been there done that..

1. My "$8000" slicks for my Mustang.

Bought slicks, but needed new rear wheels. If new wheels, should go to 5 lug, if going to 5 lug should go to rear discs, then must upgrade axles to 31spline, then need 31 spline differential, then might as well go to C-clip eliminators. Then must change to 5 lug on the front too, then go to bigger discs up front, then need 5 lug road race wheels, then might as well stuff the biggest tire/wheel combo under the car which required a complete new aftermarket suspension....

2. My buddys wife's "$40000" cooking lessons.

She takes cooking lessons, no problem right. But the lessons are in this really swanky kitchen which made their old appliances & kitchen seem lame in comparison. So they decide they need new kitchen toys & appliances. But then they might as well freshen up the kitchen, well then might as well move things around better. Then might as well go to a gas range, which requires HVAC changes, which turns into a $40000 kitchen reno.

Lol.. I hope my wife never takes cooking lessons!!

Oh well it's only money!! ...Joe

Yes, this is exactly how my build is going! I am this far into it and my friend helping me is really wearing me down on a head that will flow some air. Keeps telling me what is the use of putting on a old stock head when I have plans for a who's your daddy head over the winter. Why not do it now?

I feel like I am really drunk right now and whats another shot of whiskey going to hurt... and another and another. When will I stop? What if I don't pass out?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:16 AM

You are going to be kicking my butt by next spring by the looks of it! Looking good John, keep it up
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
The Guru

Good job buddy. You gonna re-size the rods? Are you planning on any balancing of the rotating mass? I would sandblast as much as you can and do a good clean job with small wire brushes afterwards getting out all the sand. What are your plans for the 913 pump? Whats your plans for the head?
Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Kevin,

I don't think I will be anywhere near you.......

Mike,

No to the re-sizing of rods and balancing of rotating assembly. I have to draw the line somewhere! LOL He does have a sandblaster in his shop.......

Pump for right now all I will be doing is taking the 191 Delivery valves and fuel plate and Gov spring kit out of my 180 pump and putting it in the 913. That will be about it for this year. As for the head, I guess we will see how long my buddy wants this engine cluttering up his shop for! But the head I will have the intake milled off and do some home old school porting and build up an intake for it with the flange purchased from ZZ fab.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 PM
The Guru

Swamp, just break the 1000rwhp on fuel barrier, I think that you'll have everyone's jaw on the floor. Worst case, just throw a ton of drugs at the truck, until you do. Its all fun, the more broken parts the better.

Quick Reply: Donkey Power. Engine build getting out of control.