ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 PM
krh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto to manual swap

Cant stand it anymore. the auto is driving me nuts. I spent all kinds of cash and upgraded to a goerend and it still doesnt provide the satisfaction of rowing through gears. Been trying to sell my truck and i feel like i'll have to give it away. Brutally frustrating.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a tranny swap on a common rail? Anyone interested in trading a billet-ed goerend tranny and flex plate for a 6 speed w/ clutch and pedal setup? Any links? Anything? I cant find much searching.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i had all the pieces to do it to my 07 5.9. Just sold the tranny yesterday to a member here.

it can be done but not cheap.

tranny
headlight to dash harness
tranny to t case harness
steering column
shifter
tranny to engine adapter (yes they are different between the manny trany and auto)
drive shafts
programming for the truck to make the ecm think its a manual (see you have a smarty and Bob can help you there)
clutch
hydros
pedals
shifter boots (there are 2, a lower and the upper)

I still have everything but the tranny and adapter still but my headlight to dash harness is for an 06-07 (cause of can bus and the tipm are different from 05).

once you remove your center console and carpet, you will see the trans tunnel is dimpled for the manual trans so all you have to do is cut that out and your golden for trans tunnel massaging.

the cross member is the same as the auto. thats why the mounting slots from the xmember to the trans are slotted so far due to the length difference of the 2 tranny's. many people think that you have to rekey the truck (if you have the gray key for sentry chipped key) but you don't. you will swap the sentry module out of your column and into the new column along with the ignition cylinder. keeps sentry programmed and not have to spend more money. the column i bought is out of a wrecking yard. came complete minus air bag. Its a couple day job with help but it can be done. it depends on how much you want to spend and how bad you want a manual. i have over $3500 invested in just the parts (minus the clutch and hydros) so it can get expensive fast if you have to have someone do the work.

I am sure I forgot a couple items and will try to remember and post added items.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 AM

How about a manual VB?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ya you could do like a previous member here did and do a center console type shifter (hurst gated shifter) and mount it on the center console (if your truck has a center console). he did it up pretty nice.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
krh

im afraid that just wont do. Ill have to kind of lie in wait on it, see if i can come across a rollover or something. If anyone hears anything, let me know.