ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

ATS 3k/5k Twins are in!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good Joe!. I spent a weekend last august installing the same kit. Truck also got F1 camshaft, springs, 125hp injectors, Floor-it stg3 pump, bd intecooler. Before that put in studs, air dog. Running smarty race & mp8, makes max boost of 62lbs. Played with gate abit, seems max pressure this kits makes. Chatted with couple people about these turbos. Like your truck its used to pull the camper, bobcat around, etc. Should have sent exhaust pieces to top gun like you did. As coating that was done in edmonton has flake off. Info wasnt the best, but the pics werent too bad. Happy boosting.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM

The kit looked great on the floor of your garage Joe, but it looks awsome installed. Nice touch with the ceramics. Thanks also for sharing some of your research.

Have you put the trailer away for the winter or are you thinking of trying a short pull to see how they work pulling before the snow flies?
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM

Joe what year is your truck? If I remember correctly it is a 03 or 04 right? I used to have the same problem on my truck (a long long time ago,, lol) The only thing that actually fixed it was when I put the Dr P box on it. Never had that code again after that
Old 10-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Diesel Nut
Lol, you have the ARP 625s on there joe, I'd be very disappointed if you didn't push it past 50 pounds of boost
I think I am actually about to agree with Greg. You've got the studs for a 1200hp engine, you've got a clutch for 800hp, so you should be able to push it past 500 now. Crank the Smarty up and let it rip.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Atta boy Joe!!!! Looks sweet. How mucheeeeee????
Old 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice install Joe.. Very clean and pro with the coatings I see in the pics. Nice kit.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Thanks guys & Daniela !!

Bumped up the Smarty to level 4 (90HP) tonite & easily got the twins up to 45 PSI with no issues. So far it's still good.
It's so nice to see the pyro move slowly rather than matching the tach previously.
I was using my exhaust brake & I don't notice much if any more delay than before. No exhaust leaks anywhere with the brake on at idle, which is nice.
I had trouble with pre-brake exhaust leaks when I 1st installed it 4 years ago.

The air filter is included in the twins kit. It's branded ATS but looks exactly like a AFE Pro-guard 5. I have an AFE pre-filter sock on order to keep the bugs out of it.

Probably not, but haven't totally ruled it out yet. I haven't installed the included ATS boost fooler & I got an "Overboost" DTC code tonite.
I have a used Edge EZ on the way & want to use that for boost fooling as well as a bit of in cab adjustable fuel rail pressure.

Pm sent but keep it kinda quiet..

Thanks Mike. Only 1 boost gauge so far. I'm hoping I don't have to add another one. At this point I don't plan on going past 50 PSI, so I should be fine.

Hi Brett, sorry but I plan on keeping the stock turbo (it's still bolted to the CR exhaust manifold) for a while. As I mentioned if it all goes wrong or something catatrophic happens I can easily go back to stock.

Thanks again for helping me decide to go straight to twins Brad. I appreciate the time you took & the test drives!
I look forward to comparing & further discussion. This kit is not perfect, no kit is, but so far so good.

Plus I have more questions for you...

...Joe
I have a MP8 that would work way better than that edge Joe........
Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM

I have a brand new dr p also. LOL
Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks guys...

Several folks have asked me how much I paid.. I don't want to post that as ATS requested, since I bought direct from them, but I will say in person.

Well my luck must have run out as I have a couple of issues...

1st up is a small exhaust leak at the turbo elbow. I can see the soot & it must be only under heavy exhaust brake use since it doesn't leak at idle with the brake on.
I will have to take it apart, check the seating & likely a new V-band clamp.

Next up, which is more concerning, is that I turned up the Smarty (standard Revo) to Level 6 (130HP) no timing, the rest default, and I have some popping out the exhaust.
It only does it once in a while, only when I jump on the throttle & the tach is moving fast from 2k-3k rpm. For example, in 2nd gear hard on the throttle.
It will stutter a little & the occassional pop out the tail pipe.
You can barely notice it & the truck runs hard other than this. Light or even semi-agressive it will not do this at all. Won't do this in higher gears either.

It must be the famous rail pop but that usually only happens with the 03-04 305HP engines, not the 04.5 up (325HP) engines like mine

Strange since my rail is capped, I have the Arson III kit installed in my CP3, my rail gauge shows excellent rail pressure & I only have 50HP injectors.
I just checked, no fuel in the oil at all.

When it stutters or pops, it is pouring smoke out since I am hard on the throttle at 2000rpm. It almost seems like too much fuel at that point.

My truck has never done this & was fine on level 4 last nite.

PD steps:

- Go back to level 4 and try that.
- Some Smarty settings to try:
- add rail pressure?
- add some timing?
- more aggressive torque mgmnt?

Install my boost fooler or wait until my Edge EZ arrives & install that?

Any thoughts guys? I guess if it was easy we would all be driving 1000hp trucks...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 PM

The edge ez will fix your popping problem.. if you would like I could bring a dr p box for you to try no charge. It might even go away with a little extra timing, as on level 5 or 7 on your smarty
Old 10-14-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
The edge ez will fix your popping problem.. if you would like I could bring a dr p box for you to try no charge. It might even go away with a little extra timing, as on level 5 or 7 on your smarty

Thanks Kevin, you nailed it.. A little rail pressure, a little timing, both via the Revo settings in the Smarty, got rid of all the stuttering & popping.

If you did want to bring your Dr P pressure box & if you have time & if it's not too time consuming to install, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

For the Edge EZ, the module is different for the 03-04 trucks vs. the 04.5+ trucks. Is this the same for the Dr. P pressure box?
The Dr Performance website is terrible...

Anyway... the truck sure runs well on level 7 (130HP, TQ stock, timing on 2 moderate, rail pressure on 3 moderate). EGT's are not an issue.

The exhaust leak is very minor so who knows maybe I will end up on the dyno!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:25 AM
The Guru

Joe buddy, hey what you going to do with your old intercooler? I want to see if it fits into my 2010.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 PM

The exhaust leak is very minor so who knows maybe I will end up on the dyno! [/QUOTE]

Make sure the leak at the v-band clamp is not blowing on your firewall....mine was leaking right at the connection/coupler of the clamp, blowing straight up(that was the easiest way to install the clamp)onto my firewall, caught the sound deadending insulation on fire. Not Good.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
Thanks Kevin, you nailed it.. A little rail pressure, a little timing, both via the Revo settings in the Smarty, got rid of all the stuttering & popping.

If you did want to bring your Dr P pressure box & if you have time & if it's not too time consuming to install, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

For the Edge EZ, the module is different for the 03-04 trucks vs. the 04.5+ trucks. Is this the same for the Dr. P pressure box?
The Dr Performance website is terrible...

Anyway... the truck sure runs well on level 7 (130HP, TQ stock, timing on 2 moderate, rail pressure on 3 moderate). EGT's are not an issue.

The exhaust leak is very minor so who knows maybe I will end up on the dyno!
You're right Joe, 03-04 and 04.5-07 are different for pressure boxes.