ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

5th Gear Nut Tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Gear Nut Tool

Anybody have one I could borrow? Luke can't find his, and just having 4th gear is starting to be a bit of a drag.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could borrow mine...I built mine with overkill in mind...Never be able to break it...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:21 PM
The Guru

How did you make out Brett? Any updates? Been out of touch, would be cool to see what the truck can do with five gears.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 PM

I was going to do it this weekend, but ended up with company from out of town. Last night I was just lazy, so tonight I finally made it out to the garage. Pulled the bottom and top PTO cover bolts, and went about pulling the driveshaft, got that out of the way, and it was still draining, so I had a beer, still draining, so I had another, still draining... Of course it is 8c outside and it is thick like snot. So I gave up for the night and went inside, left it to drain till I get off work tomorrow, then I will get it at least apart. Hopefully welded up and on it's way back together too.

While I was under there I did notice I am missing the following bolts:

1 x 12pt tail shaft cover bolt (not missing just the head broken off)
4 x Transmission cross member to frame bolts and nuts, only two holding per side
2 x Driveshaft center bearing support bolts and nuts
1 x Transmission to belhousing bolts, yes one of the BIG 1 of 4 that holds it together...

So if anyone reads this and happens to have a bucket of extra dodge bolts, let me know. If not I will be off to the wrecker / fastnal / dealer
Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 AM

this is my 5th gear nut socket........ it has been M.I.A for a loong time now..........

Has anyone seen it?????????

Name:  5thGearnutsocket.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  31.4 KB
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Big thanks to Steve (ram4by) him and his son Sirus (sp?), they stopped by for a couple hrs last night, and helped me get to the point of tightening the nut on. Just need to make a couple quick welds tonight, let it cool and put it all back together.

Diesel Dave2 The nut tool worked awesome, However silly me forgetting that 2wd have a bigger output shaft... So the holder tool didn't work for me. It really would have saved a lot of time

We had to use a combination of putting the driveshaft back on putting it in gear, and pulling so hard I thought the ratchet was going to break, but we got it on and done. It is prepped and ready to weld.

The radio mentioned it was just after 11pm when I got the welder out and prepped to go, so I said tomorrow night. Looking back I wish I would have just kept going and got the welding done, as now I will have to weld tonight, and then wait for it to cool before starting reassembly. I have a feeling that will be at least a 3 beer ordeal.

Hopefully by Friday this will be a done deal.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 PM

If you took your shifter out, you could have put it in two gears at once and it would have locked the tranny up.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:07 PM

yup 2 gear is good. I stuffed a rag in the 5th gear.... gear.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Rag in the gear would have been a great idea, oh well, it is done now.

Well other then I need to go find some oil. I think I will get some Amsoil, or Torqco, or Redline, I just don't believe that I need the redonkulusly priced factory stuff. After all I did just weld the nut, that isn't recommended either.

Speaking of the weld, that was an adventure in and of its self. I sure wish I hadn't of sold my mig when it got to that, I was half way between my back and side, as I didn't have the truck high enough to get right on my side, and then I had to reach over the output shat with the filler rod, as I couldn't get at it from below at the only angle I could seem to get at the nut to weld. All of that combined with needing to use the finger amp control, as there was obviously no way to use the foot control in that scenario and the fact I haven't done any tig welding in almost a year. Lead to one arm falling asleep, and a weld that is better left hidden under 4L of oil and a tail shaft housing. I have no doubt that it will hold, just wasn't very pretty.

Also need to make a trip to the JY and see if I can't find all my missing bolts... Hopefully this won't be to hard.

Oh one more silly thing I did, is manage to knock the cross member right out when I was trying to move it back in place, don't ask... Lucky the neighbor had a porta-power and we were able to push the frame back out to get it back in.

It was quite the adventure, and it was dirty as can be, between the old oil leak, and the new diesel leak, there was gunk that resembled undercoating, but made up of oil, diesel and road sand...

Just need to add oil and missing bolts and this adventure is 100% complete.

So stay tuned to for the next adventure: "Trying to find the big fuel leak, from somewhere behind the IP, but in front of the bellhousing."
Old 07-16-2010, 01:27 AM

oh heya, oil. I used Penzoil GL4 synthetic 75-90 was the cheapest compatible oil I could find. in the red truck, and we all know I beat the snot out of that baby. I've got some left. if you want to check it out.

tips for reinstall on that cross member. bang it all the way out right off the bat. stand it on end out of the truck, take your favorite linear torque applicator and tweek the uprights of the crossmember "IN" towards the center. dont be shy. it'll pop right back in. and the bolts have no problem sucking it tight again after.

tips direct from a couple chrysler mechanics I know. thats how I did mine too. smooth as silk.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:34 AM

x2 on the Pennzoil-I have some sitting at home waiting for the change on Dad's truck one of these days. Good tip on the x-member Luke-I never thought of that one-cheaper than a portapower for sure.

Jason
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Hmm well then maybe I will just go visit the local autoparts place at lunch, and see if I can't find this penzoil.

Thanks for the tip about the crossmember, I will keep it mind for when it is time to do the clutch.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
Hmm well then maybe I will just go visit the local autoparts place at lunch, and see if I can't find this penzoil.

Thanks for the tip about the crossmember, I will keep it mind for when it is time to do the clutch.
Those crossmembers in the 94-97's are cake, since they are so much smaller than the 98+. I've used my trusty 2-1/2 lbs. baby sledge for knocking them in and out. Only exception was the dually, since that was the first one I did and thought that the porta-power was requirement.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM

This crossmember when out of the truck was a full 3/8" wider then the inside of the frame... No amount of 4lb hammer (it's what I had) was going to get it in, how ever Luke's idea probably would have worked fine.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:39 AM
The Guru

I used a floor jack to get my transmission brace back in and then a 10lb hammer to beat into position. It went in pretty easy, but mines been out a few times. The hammer does a pretty good job removing the brace as well.

Quick Reply: 5th Gear Nut Tool