ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

2 micron fuel filter kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jbremount
I noticed you are living in Canada. You may want to retrofit the fuel system on your truck a little different than a guy in sunny Florida,USA. That said, AFAIK, The Mopar Severe duty fuel filter kit is the only kit with a heater. It will also give your truck a 2nd water in fuel sensor that can be enabled with the truck's ECM. It has the 1-14 filter heads so you can use the other popular filters such as (Baldwin, Donaldson, Caterpillar), on this Mopar unit, but you will have the heater.

View here: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/steve-white-motors/450588-new-mopar-severe-duty-fuel-filter-235-s-h.html

Maybe you guys can see where I am going with this........... if one is on a road trip and fills up with diesel that has high level of water in it, the sensor on the Mopar severe duty fuel kit will cause the 'water in fuel signal" on your truck to go off. With the other fuel filter kits in the previous posts without a sensor or alarm, the water separator filter will stop the water until it reaches it's limit and then pass the water through to your stock filter. Your stock filter will have to signal the driver when it sends the water in fuel signal.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Is the filter terminology you guys are think of Absolute and Nominal? All filters are rated in one or the other. You want absolute though. 2 MIC absolute. detroit has them cat has them for the big trucks, I'm sure cummins does too.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the GDP kit because of location. Are these available in Calgary or Alberta somewhere?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
Is the filter terminology you guys are think of Absolute and Nominal? All filters are rated in one or the other. You want absolute though. 2 MIC absolute. detroit has them cat has them for the big trucks, I'm sure cummins does too.
I was thinking absolute. You figure there is something for our trucks with this rating?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eat Beef
Wow! Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the GDP kit because of location. Are these available in Calgary or Alberta somewhere?

The Vulcan Performance under the horn kit is cheaper ($119+5.00) than the GDP kit, and located in Washington State.
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-...-CR-p/uifk.htm

Name:  100_1819-1.jpg
Views: 9994
Size:  84.3 KB
Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM

This is basically the kit I built for my truck. I left the factory fuel filter in place for water seperation etc. (but switched to the Baldwin cartridge).
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM

No I don't think theres a drop in 2 mic filter for the dodge cummins application. I reasearched once way back, that drop in filter is a 10 mic. you have to convert to a spin on setup. you can build your own. or buy a prefabed kit. either or. The detroit series60 primary heads have a built in push button primer pump. thats handy. the secondary heads don't, but I'll be running both. and by passing all other fuel filters on my truck.

NAPA has them too. I put 2, two mic filters in series and pumped my waste oil through it to burn in my car. first through giant MTU 2000 series primarys, then those 2 NAPA filters I'm am sure they are 2 mic.

Name:  Oilpump004.jpg
Views: 5302
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I linked to this spreadsheet earlier. The ratings & the different msmnts can be confusing. Not all manufacturers use the same rating system, not all release that info.
Like everything, your favorite brand name filter may not be the best filter for the application. Just like the Amsoil fuel filter discussion we had in an earlier thread.

Name:  FilterData.jpg
Views: 10464
Size:  197.0 KB

The Glacier Website has a link for Canadian dealers.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/sh...s.asp?pid=1017

Big Dog & DPS in Calgary plus Peak in Langley.
Call them all & then call Glacier directly & then perhaps someone is doing a Montana run.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by winkdemon
i use baldwin bf7633 with a bf 1212 water remover
The BF1212 is a great f/w sep and what I run, but the BF7633 is a 7um filter on the same standard the Fleetguard version is a 5um, the Cat a 4um, and the Donaldson a 3um.

No I don't think theres a drop in 2 mic filter for the dodge cummins application.
Correct, the best filter for the OEM canister is the Baldwin PF7977 at 5um.

NAPA has them too. I put 2, two mic filters in series and pumped my waste oil through it to burn in my car. first through giant MTU 2000 series primarys, then those 2 NAPA filters I'm am sure they are 2 mic.
Be careful with Napa (WIX) filters, everyone I have looked at has a lower rating than the filter they cross too. It's also impossible to get good data out of them. Look at their OEM replacement filter, 8um absolute when min OE spec is 7um absolute.

There are no 2um filters (absolute) from any mfgr, the best the standard allows is 3um absolute of which Donaldson is the only one I have found with an absolute 3um filter. The P551313 is what I run, it's 3um absolute. The Wix equivalent is 2um nominal, nominal is normally 50%, but anywhere less than absolute.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jbremount
The Vulcan Performance under the horn kit is cheaper ($119+5.00) than the GDP kit, and located in Washington State.
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-...-CR-p/uifk.htm

Decided to go with this unit. Ordered one today. I'll use the Donaldson 551313.
Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 AM

For those of you interested, this kit can be made very easily. Here in Alberta, go get a couple of supplies...

Acklands Grainger: Baldwin Filter Base. Part#FB1311. Cost $20.00

Finning Cat: Fuel Filter part #1RO750. Cost $22.00

Get a piece of 4"x4"x1/4" aluminum angle, about 4" long. Mount it to the back of the air horn (there are two holes there already). Metal supermarket works, as will most any welding shop. I've done two this way, and two with broken (bent) aluminum.

You will need two 90 degree elbows for the filter base to whatever fuel line you choose. Push on fuel line works, but I used hydraulic line (diesel safe) for a bit more money. I believe it is #10 orb for the FB. If you are using the factory canister, you need a metric fitting, same as the one on the cp3 IIRC. Easy, and inexpensive. If you already have push on fuel line, it is very easy to do.

When I get around to an aftermarket lift pump, I will be running it to the factory canister, with a baldwin cartridge in it. I'll be upping the fuel line diameter too.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
The BF1212 is a great f/w sep and what I run, but the BF7633 is a 7um filter on the same standard the Fleetguard version is a 5um, the Cat a 4um, and the Donaldson a 3um.

Correct, the best filter for the OEM canister is the Baldwin PF7977 at 5um.

Be careful with Napa (WIX) filters, everyone I have looked at has a lower rating than the filter they cross too. It's also impossible to get good data out of them. Look at their OEM replacement filter, 8um absolute when min OE spec is 7um absolute.

There are no 2um filters (absolute) from any mfgr, the best the standard allows is 3um absolute of which Donaldson is the only one I have found with an absolute 3um filter. The P551313 is what I run, it's 3um absolute. The Wix equivalent is 2um nominal, nominal is normally 50%, but anywhere less than absolute.
Thanks for the info! You always do the hardwork for everyone, much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Decided to go with this unit. Ordered one today. I'll use the Donaldson 551313.
Thanks for all your input.

Good choice Andy. The underhood filter was my choice also.
Easy to install & service, & easy to upgrade the rest of the fuel system if you choose to down the road.
It also keeps the stock fuel heater & filter cannister in place.

As you can see from AH64ID's filter chart, the Donaldson 551313 fuel filter is one of the best for that application.
It is pricey locally so perhaps order an extra or 2 from Vulcan at the same time you order the filter kit.

Since the new filter is huge & after the stock cannister filter, it will last a long time.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 PM

How much are these filters locally and who sells them?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I paid about $14 for my P551313 at a truck shop.

Quick Reply: 2 micron fuel filter kit