ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

2 micron fuel filter kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:52 AM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 micron fuel filter kit

Anyone know where to get one of these set ups in Calgary? Have to install one on my truck before I get too many miles on it.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eat Beef
Anyone know where to get one of these set ups in Calgary? Have to install one on my truck before I get too many miles on it.
I use a Racor 500 fuel filter on mine with the 2 micron filter, you can fine them on ebay, it has a plastic bowl and water seperator, you can drain from the bottom.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
make one for $60 we mount the filters just forward of the fuel tank. we run a fleet of dodges and recently installed one on a 06. there is two bolts through the floor board for a rear seat option at this location. some of our trucks use them others do not. get a 2" x 3" piece of angle iron 6" long. make a card board template that the two bolts and keeper nuts will go through hold the template on the inside against the 2" part and drill the two holes they will be about 5/8" i think and about 3 7/8 " between. center the holes on the 2" and near the edge on the 2" hold the angle iron over the bolts with the 3"part the furtherest away from the tank and drill a 1/4" hole between the two holes, keep drilling through the floor board. now after you mount the filters to the angle iron just simply mount it with a 1/4 grade 8 bolt. this is the only hard part the other items is easy. the total time including building the bracket is about 1 1/2 hours. i will give you napa numbers but they can cross reference to wix or car quest. the two bases are 4770 the water separator pre filter is 3374 if you think you must have a drain on the separator use 3406 the 2 micron filter is 3674. use a 3/8" nipple with about 1/2" space in the middle connect the two bases together observing the in and out. because of this the mounting plate on one filter base is about 1" further out than the other. install two 90* 3/8" barbed fittings on the bases and temporary bolt the angle iron up and hold the filters up to it. make sure everything clears and mark the one base that touches the plate to drill the three holes to mount the filters. next cut the feed fuel line at this location and bend the lines out a little and install 3/8 hose over the lines and to the barbed fittings. i put a small amount of flair on the steel lines. but i do not think it is necessary. Bleed the air out through the stock filter before trying to start it. use a gauge and do not change the filters until you see a four pound drop this should be about every 150,000 miles and the stock filter will never need to be changed. Cheapest place is http://www.fleetfilter.com/filters/w...ter-bases.html

your filter base has two inlets and two outlets on each base be careful to connect the nipple between the outlet of the first filter to the inlet of the second. only one of the bases get's the bolts as the offset places the second base about a inch away from the plate. we use to make spacers on the first ones and then decided they were not needed
Old 02-18-2012, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into making one.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wasn't there a recent change on the filter ratings where they are no longer 2 micron? I thought I read on here somewhere that the rating changed. I will try and find out on Tuesday at the Baldwin Distributor here. Last time I was in there, the closest I could get was a 4 micron.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Wasn't there a recent change on the filter ratings where they are no longer 2 micron? I thought I read on here somewhere that the rating changed. I will try and find out on Tuesday at the Baldwin Distributor here. Last time I was in there, the closest I could get was a 4 micron.
I think you're right Scotty. I just called it that because that's a term everyone is used to and that is what it is referred to.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 2 micron filter i used is a wix sub for the cat 1R0749 if you want to use a cat filter
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Didn't we just have a discussion thread on Cummins common rail additional fuel filtration a little while ago? I can't seem to find the thread..

The 1st question for Andy is what are his long term goals for his truck.
Keep it forever? Keep it stock or high hp upgrade plans for it in the future?
This will determine whether to upgrade your fuel pump & system at the same time incorporating fuel filtration & a fuel pressure gauge.
The money invested in extra fuel filtration is worth it IMO.

If your truck is going to stay fairly stock there are now tons of fuel filtration options. Under the truck, in the engine compartment. Buy a complete kit or piece together your own kit.
If your truck has the stock in-tank lift pump, these have been reliable & no need to upgrade that if your truck is going to stay fairly mild.

The Glacier kit is pricey but Glacier stuff is of very high quality & tons of options. As Carl mentioned you can piece together your own kit for less dollars.

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=08-002

Vulcan has a cheaper kit:
http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-...-CR-p/uifk.htm

Wicked kit:
http://www.motorsportdiesel.com/stor...pt-270415.aspx

This link has a spreadsheet of fuel filter data:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...lter-data.html
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM

i use baldwin bf7633 with a bf 1212 water remover
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM

How about this:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-...Kit-p/drff.htm
Old 02-20-2012, 01:45 AM

I bought mine from XX-Fuel, but if your handy with metal, they are a simple setup. I went to these since they tie with your front seat rear bolts and hides real nice as in the pictures. I never liked tying to my frame. To buy them like I did, I'll admit they are a bit pricey.
Attached Thumbnails 2 micron fuel filter kit-setup-1.jpg  
Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM

I went with a homebrew version of the glacier product, as discussed in Cummins forum (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...water-sep.html). I also read the thread originators many posts on filters, and concluded the cat filter was definitely the better choice for me. Parts to do this locally are available at AcklandsGrainger, RedL, Bosch Hydraulic and Cat.

Acklands for the base, RedL for the fuel line and non-metric fittings, Bosch for the metric, and Cat for the filter. To mount the base, I used a piece of 4"x4" Aluminium angle, with mounting holes to mount to the air horn.

I also chose to stay with the factory filter, but change it over to the Baldwin cartridge, due to it's water seperation qualities, and it isn't a bad filter in it's own right. The fuel gauge and the pump upgrades haven't yet been completed.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Eat Beef

I noticed you are living in Canada. You may want to retrofit the fuel system on your truck a little different than a guy in sunny Florida,USA. That said, AFAIK, The Mopar Severe duty fuel filter kit is the only kit with a heater. It will also give your truck a 2nd water in fuel sensor that can be enabled with the truck's ECM. It has the 1-14 filter heads so you can use the other popular filters such as (Baldwin, Donaldson, Caterpillar), on this Mopar unit, but you will have the heater.

View here: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/steve-white-motors/450588-new-mopar-severe-duty-fuel-filter-235-s-h.html

Name:  Severedutyfiltrationkit-1.jpg
Views: 22307
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 02-20-2012, 09:40 AM

pic of the one i have. no pic of it in sorry
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM

FWIW, myself and another fellow have been driving a cat setup as I mentioned above in Edmonton for two winters (granted this winter hasnt been exactly tough). I haven't ever had an issue. I do make sure I've got fresh fuel in before the first cold snap...

Quick Reply: 2 micron fuel filter kit