ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

03 is a little sick

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m not much for shopping at the dealership,there prices seem so high.If I was to replace the injectors with stock ones from dealership they wanted $800.each.I am surprise at the price I will do some online window shopping over the next fews days.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 AM

Not butting in at all Andy-I would be happy to supply you info etc....

Here's an open question which is kinda stupid....does an '03 spit out codes like my '01 by cycling the key 3 times? And if so, when did they quit doing it-or did they? I would assume with the switch to CANbus in '06 those trucks will no longer do it-but will any year of DR truck?

Thanks
Jason
Old 03-14-2008, 09:52 AM

See if these codes point you guys in the direction of my issues!

P0237 Turbocharger Boost Pressure Sensor Low
P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High
P2269 Water in fuel condition
P0340 Camshaft position sensor circut
P0341 camshaft Position Sensor Performance / Rationality
P2127 Pedal Validation Switch 2 Low
P2121 Pedal Position Sensor 1 Performance / Rationality
P0652 Sensor Reference Voltage 2 Circuit Low

In the last 30 or so starts it has done it to me twice. Both times I was sitting for awhile listening to music draining down the batteries some. When I jumped in the truck I just fired it up and take off all the time never waiting for the grid heaters to cycle. The alternator is not charging both times while this was happening. It does charge after 20-30 seconds. I have a smarty coming to clear codes and think I am going to clean battery posts and grounds etc and see what happens!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 PM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Originally Posted by JHansen
Not butting in at all Andy-I would be happy to supply you info etc....

Here's an open question which is kinda stupid....does an '03 spit out codes like my '01 by cycling the key 3 times? And if so, when did they quit doing it-or did they? I would assume with the switch to CANbus in '06 those trucks will no longer do it-but will any year of DR truck?

Thanks
Jason
I don't know. I need to learn all that yet.
Andy
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 PM

Wow....I am not a 3rd gen guy-so I will reserve final judgement for one of the gurus. Here is what I think: 1st and foremost, if you're taking it in for service, you best get the codes cleared as the "water in fuel condition" will surely nullify any warranty you may have left as far as injectors go. Did you have a box on it once upon a time? Maybe that would explain the low boost and high rail pressure codes....I don't understand the camshaft and APPS codes though. The DRB-and probably some fancier aftermarket ones like Snap-On or OTC (who actually make the DRB) can tell you how many starts since each was set-I would wager they were not all set at the same time-but possible I suppose. I would try cleaning connections etc. 1st as the easiest thing to try....

Hopefully someone with more CR brains than me will chime in. I wish I was closer to offer a more direct hand...plus I'm sure we would both learn something.

Jason
Old 03-14-2008, 07:24 PM
The Guru

Clear your codes. See what code comes up when it does the funny idling sound. Have you checked for fuel pressure? You could have a faulty engine speed sensor. You need that to fiqure out when to fire the injectors, its all computer controlled not mechanical like mine. I would see if the well the injectors flow path looks and replace the crank engine sensor. My truck its not to hard to pull that engine rpm sensor, its right under the injection pump.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:10 PM

No warranty to worry about on the 04.5 I have had a Juice with Attitude on it for the last 3 years. It has the hot program if that matters. As for the water in fuel, I have no idea why that code came up. As soon as I figured out what the code was I took a sample from the fuel filter and it was pure diesel. 205,000 kms on it anyways! Been buying from UFA for the trucks whole life and never had a problem before. Guess there is always a first time...... Also been using amsoils diesel fuel conditioner every tank for the last 6 months. I believe it separates the water.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:21 PM

You should have seen a water-in-fuel light anyways if it was real...I just figured you might still be under warranty. 205K-man, do you ever stay home? Poor old Silver only has 413K on it and it's an '01...

I have run UFA fuel for the last few years-if it wasn't convenient for me I probably wouldn't-I got better mileage and better power out of Petro-Canada down here-and it was cheaper than UFA-but when they shut the cardlock down that made it all irrelevant.

I have turned my DragCOMP on about 4 times in the last 2 years but I got some flaky stuff out of it at times-wonder if it is contributing to the problem or if it is something else? The no-charge situation makes me wonder about a flaky ground etc....

Jason
Old 03-15-2008, 02:48 AM

The no charge situation, I'd be looking at either the cam sensor, or the crank sensor if they have them. Since you have a cam sensor code, that would be my guess at that. It may also explain the high rail pressure code, since it would be seeing rail pressure when it thinks there shouldn't be any (engine running, no cam sensor signal, thinks engine is off).
Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the shorted wire thread on 2003-2007 DTR (top sticky). Souds awful amiliar to your problem.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=81936

Cya

Last edited by billie; 03-15-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added thread link