ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

03 is a little sick

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 is a little sick

Anybody out there have an idea of what might it be.Sometimes when I first start the truck(unplugged )with the remote start it acts like a (pardon the expression ,a v8 running on to two cylinders).It also did the same thing with the key start but only once.I have changed the ff since it first started,but it still happens,and sometimes it will run so rough that it will actually stall out.It has had the pump replaced to the tank about a year ago.
My knowledgeable parts guy suggested either the grid heater may not be working properly or maybe a injector.But my thoughts were if it was an injector wouldn`t it do this whether it is plugged in out not.
Anyhow it is going into the dealer here to get checked out.I `m just under the 160 mileage so time to get it looked at.
Any info given is good.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:14 AM

Sounds like injector time to me.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Originally Posted by Kids Toy
Anybody out there have an idea of what might it be.Sometimes when I first start the truck(unplugged )with the remote start it acts like a (pardon the expression ,a v8 running on to two cylinders).It also did the same thing with the key start but only once.I have changed the ff since it first started,but it still happens,and sometimes it will run so rough that it will actually stall out.It has had the pump replaced to the tank about a year ago.
My knowledgeable parts guy suggested either the grid heater may not be working properly or maybe a injector.But my thoughts were if it was an injector wouldn`t it do this whether it is plugged in out not.
Anyhow it is going into the dealer here to get checked out.I `m just under the 160 mileage so time to get it looked at.
Any info given is good.
I'm new to 3rd gens. It sounds to me from what I've been reading that there are 2 things to watch. lift pump; injectors.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
DDP

when you start with the key it wont run rough?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM

It actually has done it both with the key and the remote start.But I have not noticed it if the truck has been plugged in.
Anyways the truck was in the shop today (all day) and they an injector test and it came back fine.But they did find that the "Pressure Limiting Valve " failed.I was ask if the truck was chipped and said yup.He said that if Dodge requested the computer info that they had to give it to them and if they felt that the chip was the cause of the parts malfunction then they could or would void the warranty.These guys here seemed very good about it though and put it though on warranty.
The question that I put out to all or any 3rd gen techies is would the 70 hp edge cause this part to malfunction after being installed for 2-3 yrs.Or could `ve naturelly failed.If it was caused by the chip is there a better replacement for it.Or would installing some larger injectors bring down the pressure so as not to harm the pressure limiting valve.Thanks for the help.....Kev
Old 03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pressure limiting valves have been a fairly common failure. Especially with the 03-04.5 engines for whatever reason. There were many injector sets swapped out pre-maturely when this little valve was the culprit. Good to hear you got it under warranty anyway.

I believe the EZ is a pressure only box. You could try a Smarty or similar for more enhancements to pulse width/timing etc.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:11 PM

They said that it would have been an $800.00 touch.Ouch .Good thing for warranties.So if this valve fails it can ruin injectors,or I`m I reading this wrong?I don`t want to get to wild with this truck maybe it 400hp,but definitly have to do the tranny to handle that (47r).
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM

They loaned me a vehicle while mine was in the shop(pt crusher) I drove it a total of 30 mins.Man I missed my truck.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shouldn't do any damage to the injectors. It was just sticking open probably and bleeding the rail pressure down to below usable pressure. I would think in this day and age with the CR engine, 400hp should be a breeze..
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 AM

My 04.5 seems to be giving me some grief now too. Sounds almost as you are describing Kevin. The last 2 days just after I start my truck it would sound like a bad knock and long crank time. This was while the truck was warm. Real touchy fuel pedal and surging. Shut it down and restart it a few times and everything was back to normal. I had 8 or 9 different codes that I have written down in my truck. Will get them in the morning........
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM
The Guru

You got fuel at the injection pump? How much pressure you got at the injector connector tubes? I would crack connector tubes open and see how much fuel you got. If it sprays lots, you got an injector problem, if its weak stream see how much fuel pressure you got at your injection pump. I do this stuff with my VP so hopefully this help you. A decent diesel shop could do the pop off test to see how the injector flows.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Swampy, I've got an '03 manual if you need to decipher the codes.....

Jason
Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 PM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Originally Posted by JHansen
Swampy, I've got an '03 manual if you need to decipher the codes.....

Jason
Not to butt-in or anything but I may have to take you up on that sometime in the DISTANT future Jason. Hope not but you never know.
Andy
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Well,so much for it being fixed.I have yet to plug the Edge back in and today my truck sat at work for 8 hrs and I went and started it to leave and it happened again same issue(run like a v8 but on 2 cylinders,wants to still out).If you keep working the throttle I can keep it running.Tuesday it is back in the shop.More advise on what it may be....
Thx Kev.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM

I still say injectors.

Quick Reply: 03 is a little sick