1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Timing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing??

I keep seeing people mentioning doing something to there pump timing or something in different threads and in their signatures, I was just curious what all is invovled in this, and can I do it myself, what are the gains/drawbacks ect... and if it is easy to do where can I get a step-by-step on how to do it, preferably with pics???

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
On a mostly stock truck the 1/8" bump works well. To do this, you just loosen the pump and rotate it towards the head until the stock timing marks are 1/8" apart. You have to loosen 5 things to get it to move easily. There are three 13 mm nuts that hold the pump to the timing case, one is easy to see and get. The bottom one requires an "S" wrench or similar tool (Harbor Freight sells an "S" wrench set for $10 that is perfect). The top one can be gotten with stacked extensions from back by the fuel filter, a 1/4" drive is easier if you have a 13 mm 1/4" drive socket. Then there is a 10 mm bolt down by the power steering reservior that holds the pump to the rear support bracket, a 10 mm box wrench works fine. Last is the AFC banjo bolt at the top of the pump, it's 12 mm.

Then it's time to move the pump. Dodge 92 had us all slapping our foreheads and saying "Why didn't I think of that?" when he posted a pic of how he used a ratchet strap to pull the pump over, the pic is in his gallery. Just crank down on the strap until the pump is where you want it. If the pump hasn't been moved recently, rapping on it with a rubber mallet helps knock it loose so it will move. Once the timing marks are 1/8" apart, snug the easy nut down and remove the ratcht strap. Tighten everything down and you are good to go. Be careful with the AFC banjo bolt, and route the ratchet strap so it is not putting any strain on any injection lines.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, the pic in dodge 92's gallery helped, but I am still not sure if I want to try it, I am a little afraid I might break something, I might just have the guy do it when he puts my 3200 spring on at the diesel shop. Is the whole pump what moves when I crank on it with the ratchet strap? Are there any drawbacks to messing with the timing?

Chris
Old 12-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep, you move the whole pump.

Just pay attention to where you are running the ratchet strap and nothing will break.

If you still have the stock turbine housing, advancing the timing will make the truck feel even soggier on the bottom end. It's not an issue with the 16 cm and smaller housings though.

Most guys pull the pump as far to the retarded side as possible while doing the 3200 RPM spring install, as this gives more room to work. It wouldn't be a big deal for whoever does the install to put 'er back 1/8" farther advanced than he found it.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its really easy dont worry you wont break nothing wanna explained it all and wanna thanks for the compliments and oh yea if your as cheap as me bend your own key as shown in my galery pics
Old 12-25-2005, 06:51 PM

If they are probably gonna move the pump when they put the spring in I'll probably just wait till then to get the timing changed then. Where's a good place to get the 16cm housing cheap, and how difficult is that to do myself?

Chris