4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Wife is steaming mad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife is steaming mad...

Thankfully not at me. She just had the fun of experiencing Death Wobble.. She is ready to drive my dully up the service departments rear.. I was all set to buy the smarty to do deletes.. Now i might have to spend cash on this truck fixing this wonderful wobble.. I'm so tempted to get the service manager to go for a drive with me..
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Death wobble in a truck? I've experienced this on a motorcycle or two but not in a truck or car. Are you talking about a front end shimmey so bad it want's to rip the steering wheel outta your hands?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Kidrod.. search deathwobble dodge truck on you tube .. Sadly i'm getting used to it. i'm waiting for the front end to blow up so the csa and a few other "organizations" can go after dodge for selling some that is so horrific to drive. I'll get flack for this comment.. I wish ford had the cummins in their truck.. Or i wish i had bought a 04 dually long bed stick..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Geek
Kidrod.. search deathwobble dodge truck on you tube .. Sadly i'm getting used to it. i'm waiting for the front end to blow up so the csa and a few other "organizations" can go after dodge for selling some that is so horrific to drive. I'll get flack for this comment.. I wish ford had the cummins in their truck.. Or i wish i had bought a 04 dually long bed stick..
Might be time to invest in a GoPro and film it. Mine did it twice do to poor tire balancing. Tire shop kid had them up to 4 ozs. off. It must have been his last day.

Once you've experienced it,driving these things is never the same. My backend still puckers up when I hit a transition on the freeway.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought Dodge fixed this problem on the 4th gen....I guess not....Are the Ford and Chevy guys having the same death wobble problem??
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Originally Posted by Kidrod
Death wobble in a truck? I've experienced this on a motorcycle or two but not in a truck or car. Are you talking about a front end shimmey so bad it want's to rip the steering wheel outta your hands?
You would not believe how out of control the truck gets...I got it 4 times on my 2nd gen...So far with the T-steering its ok....I hope..
Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

I had it numerous times, and after getting in a bad wreck, it scared the heck out of me. What helped, was I regreased the tie rods. Haven't had an issue since. For added security, I added a steering box stabilizer.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
I thought Dodge fixed this problem on the 4th gen....I guess not....Are the Ford and Chevy guys having the same death wobble problem??
No fixee.. My truck is (other then the B&W turn over) 100 percent stock... Maybe this thing will implode and i can go back to driving jeeps.. pay folks to haul for me..
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Might be time to invest in a GoPro and film it. Mine did it twice do to poor tire balancing. Tire shop kid had them up to 4 ozs. off. It must have been his last day.

Once you've experienced it,driving these things is never the same. My backend still puckers up when I hit a transition on the freeway.
what part did you want on vid?? the driving it up the rear end of the service manager???
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 PM

I had a 2010 dually do the same thing, dealer replaced the steering stabalizer and I never had the problem again.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM

This problem is just not unique to Dodge it will happen on any 4X4 straight axle truck. I had the dreaded death wobble occur to both of my Jeeps built in 1974 and 1979. These were the old full size Cherokees and the steering stabilizer just wore out and needed to be replaced.
Over size tires and lift kits will enhance the death wobble experience on any straight axle 4X4 truck.
Ford trucks will have the same experience, Chevy and GMC will not since they do not have a straight front axle under them.
Jim W.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Had it happen on my 75 CJ5 with 35" swampers. HOLY CHIT!
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 AM

Actually the problem is not the straight axle it is the axle and the coil springs. As the track bar wears, it allows the axle more movement side to side.
I have had it a few times on gen two trucks and new track bars always took care of it.
You can buy a MOOG track bar for less than $200 and it has a lifetime warranty. Takes less than 1 hr to install.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Geek
Holy Cow! I watched the videos, nasty. I assume this is only a 4x4 issue?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 AM

Is this on certain year models? My truck is a 2005 4x4 Dually long bed. I have 282,000 miles and haven't replaced anything on the front end. Still drives straight and not chewing tires. Guess I am lucky!

Quick Reply: Wife is steaming mad...