4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What is wrong with Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
edc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What is wrong with Dodge?

I am trying to buy a Dodge truck because I want a diesel -- and after doing some research I want a Cummins (prior to the research and looking under a few hoods I was after a Duramax as I have had excellent results from a 2001 gas Yukon Denali). I have been using the Dodge website to configure and price various models, trim levels etc. I will probably have to order the truck to get what I want which is OK as I will likely keep it for 10 years at least assuming it meets expectations. I have been comparing wheelbase, overall length, turning radius etc. as I really don't want a large hard to park pickup truck but have to go that route to get the diesel. Finally my complaint: the website specs are incorrect, if you go check right now you will find the same overall length, wheelbase, turning radius for all models of the 2010 HD's regardless of box length, cab, etc. I started telling Dodge customer support about this months ago via emails and phone calls -- in summary, they tell me they only use the information they don't generate it and I should find a contact in Dodge engineering to get it corrected (which I am trying, so far no luck). Why as Dodge employees are they not motivated to have accurate specs when someone is trying to make a $50K purchase decision? I expect them to contact engineering and get the correct specs to me asap, thank me for pointing out the error, and then tell me it will be corrected by tomorrow. Web data is easy to correct, it is not like reprinting a manual. I think this type of attitude is why our US auto companies are struggling. I have worked closely with lots of Japanese companies (different industry) and they would treat incorrect information like this as a quality issue and fix it instantly with sincere apologies. I guess I am just venting, but this and other Dodge quality issues (e.g. the leather seat fiasco) have delayed them having a new customer. Ed
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Here's a link to some specs: http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/2010/ram/drmo.pdf
Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM
edc

Smile good contact at Dodge

I had called the engineering team at Dodge (commercial truck area I think) and got a return call with some good info -- thks. I got the spec info I wanted, plus some good news for me and possibly for some of you. I was looking at a comparison of the wheelbase, overall length, and turning diameter (curb to curb) between a 2010 crew cab short bed and a 2009 quad cab short bed. Here is the data (2010/2009) wheelbase = 149.5"/140.5"; overall length = 237.4"/227.9"; turning diameter = 43.9"/47.5". In summary, while the crew cab 2010 has a longer wheelbase and overall length, it has a significantly smaller turning diameter. This is a big plus to me as I want the 2010 crew cab but I am concerned about moving to a truck and getting the larger turning diameter issues when parking etc. It looks like (if this data is correct) Dodge did some good work on the steering capability of the new 2010 HD trucks. Ed
Old 01-07-2010, 02:39 PM

I found some "inconsistencies" on the dodge web site a couple years back regarding tow capacities. My buddy at work was ribbing me that his toyota could pull as much as the mega I had at the time, according to the dodge site. After several emails and a phone call or two the person on the other end finally realized the mistake and had it corrected. Dodge sent me a key chain with a little hand written note thanking me for identifying the issue. I keep the keychain in the center console of my little f-150...dang I miss the RAM but hopefully 2010 brings me a reunion with another cummins!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 PM

I would guess your numbers are off as I can not see the longer wheelbase truck as having a smaller turning diameter. The front axle of both models should turn the wheels the same amount of degrees. The turning radius is computed as the Ackerman steering angle. You should be able to find diagrams to help explain this simple model. Go drive test the different truck models to see what you can and can't handle.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM
edc

I do understand the physics involved and I did repeatidly question the Dodge engineer about the numbers and he assured me that the 2010 turning diameter (curb to curb) was as stated. I agree he could be wrong. I also believe that by modifying the steering design and wheel clearance/travel they could improve the turning diameter even with the longer wheelbase. When Dodge first came out with their new design pickup (90's ?) they trumped Chevy and Ford in turning diameter. This is an easy spec to give to customers. I shouldn't have to go drive both pickups and determine which one suites my needs --- I want to know what the turning diameter is, if Dodge can't provide that, I will spend my $50K elsewhere. Ed
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM

I didn't notice you were comparing 2010 to a 2009 model until I had read the posts a few more times. You sound like you made your decision already. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Don't do it

What caught my eye was your quote of having it 10 years. I thought the same thing when bought my 08 2500 laramie Diesel. Since October I have had use of that truck 6 days total. It has been in the shop the whole time. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. It has 19K on it Tried trading it in on an 10 thinking dodge and dealer would have pity on me ---yeah right. My truck and 21K and I get the same thing I have now but in a 10 model. Never again will I buy a Chyrsler product. BTW Chysler wouldn't fix it (Fire job) insurance picked up the tab and is suing Chyrsler.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TripleD
What caught my eye was your quote of having it 10 years. I thought the same thing when bought my 08 2500 laramie Diesel. Since October I have had use of that truck 6 days total. It has been in the shop the whole time. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. It has 19K on it Tried trading it in on an 10 thinking dodge and dealer would have pity on me ---yeah right. My truck and 21K and I get the same thing I have now but in a 10 model. Never again will I buy a Chyrsler product. BTW Chysler wouldn't fix it (Fire job) insurance picked up the tab and is suing Chyrsler.
Did you know lemons can happen with any truck?

My Ram truck has been the best out of the chevy and ford I have tried.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I think I can... I think...

Since October I have had use of that truck 6 days total. It has been in the shop the whole time. Biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. Never again will I buy a Chyrsler product. BTW Chysler wouldn't fix it (Fire job) insurance picked up the tab and is suing Chyrsler.
So what exactly is wrong with the truck? Did it catch on fire????
Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Dodge man and Capt. DM what you state is true but when a product causes this much trouble the maker of said product should do everything reasonable to make the customer happy! Below is part of a letter I sent to my senators and congreeswoman it pretty much sums things up.Since I sent this letter I have gotten the truck back. Damage, the driveshaft caused, was fixed under warranty however damage to the front was not. Dealer had it for 2 1/2 weeks. Not only has this POS cost me financially it has also disrupted my business.
The reason I’m working on this old truck is that my new 08 Dodge truck with 18,000 miles ($42,000 on the road) is sitting at a Dodge dealer being repaired ( I hope). Since the third week of October 09 I’ve had the Dodge, in working order, a total of three days.

Bought the truck, new April 02 2008. In May of that year with, 7000 miles on it, on a trip to Baltimore, a hose broke in Garrett County MD. Had to spend a night in a Motel($50). Dealer in Accident MD wasn’t real helpful so purchasing dealer said have it towed to them. ($225). Rental car ($35). Truck out of service 6 days.

Went to get WV inspection sticker, truck would not pass (steering) Chyrsler. Response “That is the way it was designed.”

August- The tires which where a $200 factory option actually came apart in chucks ($800) 16,000 miles

October another trip to Baltimore this time with large enclosed trailer. Truck catches on fire (I extinguish it BIG MISTAKE ) Chyrsler states my fault, (because I installed a trailer brake control, even though Chyrsler. installed hook-ups and the brake control still works) won’t cover under warranty ($5000) Dealer had truck for 7 weeks. Big trailer still in Baltimore.

Christmas time. Had truck for 3 days driving slowly on a typical WV back road covered with snow in 4 WD . Front drive shaft breaks severing the hydraulic lines and breaking the transmission case. I slid over in a ditch doing $4000 damage to front of truck. Towed to nearest Chyrsler dealer in Parkersburg. They state damage all my fault, warranty won’t cover $12,000. Hesitantly called Chyrsler Consumer Service (did in the past with disastrous results) was told if I could get another Dodge mechanic to approve work they would fix it under warranty. Towed it 90 miles to a dealer in Caldwell OH. Which now has it, towing this time has cost me $400.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Dodge man and Capt. DM what you state is true but when a product causes this much trouble the maker of said product should do everything reasonable to make the customer happy! Below is part of a letter I sent to my senators and congreeswoman it pretty much sums things up.Since I sent this letter I have gotten the truck back. Damage, the driveshaft caused, was fixed under warranty however damage to the front was not. Dealer had it for 2 1/2 weeks. Not only has this POS cost me financially it has also disrupted my business.
The reason I’m working on this old truck is that my new 08 Dodge truck with 18,000 miles ($42,000 on the road) is sitting at a Dodge dealer being repaired ( I hope). Since the third week of October 09 I’ve had the Dodge, in working order, a total of three days.

Bought the truck, new April 02 2008. In May of that year with, 7000 miles on it, on a trip to Baltimore, a hose broke in Garrett County MD. Had to spend a night in a Motel($50). Dealer in Accident MD wasn’t real helpful so purchasing dealer said have it towed to them. ($225). Rental car ($35). Truck out of service 6 days.

Went to get WV inspection sticker, truck would not pass (steering) Chyrsler. Response “That is the way it was designed.”

August- The tires which where a $200 factory option actually came apart in chucks ($800) 16,000 miles

October another trip to Baltimore this time with large enclosed trailer. Truck catches on fire (I extinguish it BIG MISTAKE ) Chyrsler states my fault, (because I installed a trailer brake control, even though Chyrsler. installed hook-ups and the brake control still works) won’t cover under warranty ($5000) Dealer had truck for 7 weeks. Big trailer still in Baltimore.

Christmas time. Had truck for 3 days driving slowly on a typical WV back road covered with snow in 4 WD . Front drive shaft breaks severing the hydraulic lines and breaking the transmission case. I slid over in a ditch doing $4000 damage to front of truck. Towed to nearest Chyrsler dealer in Parkersburg. They state damage all my fault, warranty won’t cover $12,000. Hesitantly called Chyrsler Consumer Service (did in the past with disastrous results) was told if I could get another Dodge mechanic to approve work they would fix it under warranty. Towed it 90 miles to a dealer in Caldwell OH. Which now has it, towing this time has cost me $400.
WOW,sure someone doesn't have an axe to grind with you?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
I think I can... I think...

Dodge man and Capt. DM what you state is true but when a product causes this much trouble the maker of said product should do everything reasonable to make the customer happy!
I never actually stated anything.........just wondering what the problem was.
Good luck with your problems.