4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Should I trade up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I trade up?

Hey folks,
Looking to trade in my '05 2500 qc for a '14 3500 cc. Reason is to up payload rating and be legit with pin weight of our 5th wheel. 05 has around 2300# payload which is inadequate.

Drove a manual trans '14 last night and liked it - rear seat room is really great. Electronic screens are a it overwhelming but nice features. Current truck is auto but just don't trust it now that I've got 114k miles. Plus truck is starting to need other repairs, etc.

Any regrets w the manual for those who tow? I know the newer stuff has emissions equipment and more complexity but this is the way the world is headed. Do you all think the newer gens tow or ride better? I noticed the new heavy three link front suspension too which makes the old version look a little inadequate - does it solve the death wobble?

Btw there appears to be very little in the way of mounts for 5th wheels hitches. I want to move my pull rite superglide hitch over and they have no mounting brackets. Curt makes a bracket kit to mount standard rails and pull rite has an adapter to mount to standard rails so there is a path forward there

Anyway, interested in your opinions and impressions on new truck.

Thanks for your help!
Greg
Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 AM

My 2012 tows head and shoulders above my 04.5. The ride and comfort alone are worth doing the trade. The integrated exhaust brake working in unison with the auto is absolutely awesome. My trailers don't even seem like they're behind me anymore even in crosswinds. The rear seat and the auto trans are two of the big reasons I upgraded. I have three boys and the back seat on the quadcab was pretty small for them. I was also tired of shifting the 6 speed with such a heavy clutch. The new auto transmissions are nothing like the 47 and 48RE days of old. The loss in mileage will be a concern at first but once you learn how to drive it that will come back a little and they won't be too far apart honestly. Especially once you consider apples to apples. The new trucks breathe fire stock and haul the mail or at least the autos do. Overall I've been extremely pleased with the decision to upgrade. I wish I would have waited for a 2014 but that's the way it goes. I've been eyeing one on my dealers lot. Who knows lol
Old 01-14-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
For sure you won't regret it except for the fuel economy and the traction control also get the high mount camera and auto Aisin trans, more torque and HP with a transmission that can handle it.. Do NOT order the factory goose/5ver hitch without first seeing one, I recommend the B&W goose hitch then if you want to use your original 5ver hitch get this to stick in the B&W hitch or get the B&W companion.http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Curt/16310.html
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Hey guys thanks a lot for the input. Pulled the trigger and brought truck home tonight. After some time behind the wheel I can see this is much more refined than the'05.

I got a little emotional unloading my personal stuff from the old truck since we made so many great memories on vacation with it. Still like the old one a lot …
Anyway getting used to rowing gears again. First is almost useless on level ground and second gets things going much faster. The screens are really well done too.

Next on to getting the hitch installed. B&W stuff looks solid but for about $500 in mounting brackets I can get my pullrite installed. B&W will be an option if the above doesn't work out.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Good luck with the new truck. You'll forget all about the old one after your first pull. I know I haven't looked back.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the above testimonials make me consider trading up..

the only thing that holds me back is the payment...I don't want it... but im certain a tradesman six speed manual will tow circles around my 05.. just I cannot stomach almost 50K for one... im gonna pay more for my truck than my mortgage? I think not...
Old 01-15-2014, 05:16 PM

Not much of a consolation but around here the ST crewcab standard trans are going for $37k with 4wd and remote doors. I know it's still quite a bit of money but best prices of all three in my opinion and a better truck.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
Not much of a consolation but around here the ST crewcab standard trans are going for $37k with 4wd and remote doors. I know it's still quite a bit of money but best prices of all three in my opinion and a better truck.
now that's a price..

that I may consider paying.... But, I do like the appearance mods, IE nicer wheels, and chrome grill and badges etc... I got about 12K in aftermarket stuff in mine already, and well.. it kinda stinks starting over on a new one... specially when I know mine gets way better fuel economy than a new one, and most of all.. ITS PAID FOR....
Old 01-16-2014, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by GJTJ
Hey guys thanks a lot for the input. Pulled the trigger and brought truck home tonight. After some time behind the wheel I can see this is much more refined than the'05.

I got a little emotional unloading my personal stuff from the old truck since we made so many great memories on vacation with it. Still like the old one a lot …
Anyway getting used to rowing gears again. First is almost useless on level ground and second gets things going much faster. The screens are really well done too.

Next on to getting the hitch installed. B&W stuff looks solid but for about $500 in mounting brackets I can get my pullrite installed. B&W will be an option if the above doesn't work out.

I just traded my 2010 in for a new 2014 Mega cab which has the 5th wheel goose neck tow package prep kit installed. I also had a Pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch installed in my 2010 which I had removed and would like to have it installed into my 2014. My question is, how would I do this with the prep kit already installed in my new 2014. Not sure how this is going to go and do not want to spend the extra money on a new hitch. Any advise would be great appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by AttilaTheHun
I just traded my 2010 in for a new 2014 Mega cab which has the 5th wheel goose neck tow package prep kit installed. I also had a Pullrite superglide 5th wheel hitch installed in my 2010 which I had removed and would like to have it installed into my 2014. My question is, how would I do this with the prep kit already installed in my new 2014. Not sure how this is going to go and do not want to spend the extra money on a new hitch. Any advise would be great appreciated. Thank you in advance.
I spoke with both Pullrite and Curt mfg. Monday before buying the truck just to make sure. I initially panicked when Pullrite said they didn't have a solution but then found one through Curt. I don't have the prep kit installed on mine so I'll have to use the Curt mounts and mount the ISR (industry standard rails) in my bed. Pull rite sells an adapter to go from the rails to the superglide.

I seem to remember that the Pullrite customer service rep said there's a way to adapt a superglide to the prep kit. Sorry I can't remember what she described since it didn't apply to me. Your best bet is to call them and discuss. They were very helpful. Curt mfg was also very helpful.
I did find the best prices on kits through amazon. Doing this is the project after installing running boards.
Good luck.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM

I spoke with both Pullrite and Curt mfg. Monday before buying the truck just to make sure. I initially panicked when Pullrite said they didn't have a solution but then found one through Curt. I don't have the prep kit installed on mine so I'll have to use the Curt mounts and mount the ISR (industry standard rails) in my bed. Pull rite sells an adapter to go from the rails to the superglide.

I seem to remember that the Pullrite customer service rep said there's a way to adapt a superglide to the prep kit. Sorry I can't remember what she described since it didn't apply to me. Your best bet is to call them and discuss. They were very helpful. Curt mfg was also very helpful.
I did find the best prices on kits through amazon. Doing this is the project after installing running boards.
Good luck.
Thank you for the information. I will definitely give them a call. Greatly appreciated . I love my new truck.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Nostrovia Comrade