4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

RAM 2012 and beyond trucks

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
PCM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAM 2012 and beyond trucks

I have heard that "major modifications" are planned for 2012 trucks. I read this from source www.allpar.com
The Cummins straight-six diesel is still planned for future Rams, and the 2.8-liter VM diesel still has a future in export Jeeps. Fiat diesels will power some Chrysler vehicles, at least in export markets, hooked up to the six-speed Chrysler automatic transmission. The 4.2 liter Cummins V6 (190 hp, over 400 lb-ft) and a 5.0-liter Cummins V8 diesel are believed to still be in progress, but lower priority due to low gas prices.
An eight-speed automatic is been developed within Chrysler for the big Cummins diesels, which are limited in power to avoid powertrain damage. They can reportedly be pumped up 900 lb-ft, given the right powertrain; the eight-speed automatic would allow for over 700 lb-ft of torque but at a fairly hefty price premium.
I'm not planning a new truck until about 5-7 years from now, so it should be interesting to see the future of the RAM/Cummins. pcm
Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Allpar
The rumor mill has been kept buzzing with an expensive, TorqueFlite like eight speed rear wheel drive automatic being for commercial trucks and SRT8 cars, with a torque rating said to be over 800 pound-feet. The transmission uses three planetary gearsets, each of which costs ... a lot. Some sources say it is a ZF design, while others say there has been Chrysler engineering; both could be true. Chrysler will start buying the transmission from ZF in 2012, according to a recent missive, while ITP (Kokomo) tools up to build it starting in 2014. The agreement between ZF and Chrysler is reportedly going to be finalized on May 20 2010 and announced shortly afterwards. The transmission, which will be sold to other automakers such as BMW and Audi as well, should help Dodge to once again be the diesel-power leader and should improve SRT8 competitiveness.

Chrysler is also to use a seven speed version of the Mercedes automatic transmission. The four speed will be dropped and the Chrysler six-speed used more.
Interesting...especially that they mention commercial trucks and the SRT8 cars in the same sentence. I figured there would be nothing in common between these two. Quite a jump from the old 4-speed auto.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM

I thought I read somewhere (and of course I can't find it now...) that the next gen Cummins in the 2500 through 5500 models will be so efficient that most, if not all, of the emission control 'stuff' that's been added to the 6.7 will not be required anymore - i.e. it's going to burn so cleanly and efficiently that other adders like particulate filters and egr's won't be needed.... Does anyone else remember that, or was I dreaming it?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
I thought I read somewhere (and of course I can't find it now...) that the next gen Cummins in the 2500 through 5500 models will be so efficient that most, if not all, of the emission control 'stuff' that's been added to the 6.7 will not be required anymore - i.e. it's going to burn so cleanly and efficiently that other adders like particulate filters and egr's won't be needed.... Does anyone else remember that, or was I dreaming it?
I hope they go this direction! It would be nice to drop all this ancillary smog crap, that will increase reliability and fuel milage. I, like others, could care less on what they plan for overseas markets! I feel life their rubbing my nose it foreign advancement.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckjunkie
That was called "in cylinder". They never achieved it.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:09 AM

The marketing game is a double edged sword. Competition keeps the Dodge engineers making better and better trucks. But just like with many products, the uneducated consumer rules the market. Thats why the diesel market is stuck in a HP/Torque war. These trucks already have plenty of both, but the average Joe blow thats shopping for a truck buys into the more is better line of crap and the war continues. This keeps Dodge's focus on HP/Torque numbers vs other aspects of the truck. The wars in market shares can actually be detrimental, as a professional photographer, I have seen it first hand. The megapixel war between the camera makers for instance. They keep cramming more and more pixels on the sensor but trading less performance in other areas. Real photographers understand this, but the soccer mom buying a camera at BestBuy doesn't........and so the battle continues.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by PCM
I have heard that "major modifications" are planned for 2012 trucks. I read this from source www.allpar.com
The Cummins straight-six diesel is still planned for future Rams, and the 2.8-liter VM diesel still has a future in export Jeeps. Fiat diesels will power some Chrysler vehicles, at least in export markets, hooked up to the six-speed Chrysler automatic transmission. The 4.2 liter Cummins V6 (190 hp, over 400 lb-ft) and a 5.0-liter Cummins V8 diesel are believed to still be in progress, but lower priority due to low gas prices.
An eight-speed automatic is been developed within Chrysler for the big Cummins diesels, which are limited in power to avoid powertrain damage. They can reportedly be pumped up 900 lb-ft, given the right powertrain; the eight-speed automatic would allow for over 700 lb-ft of torque but at a fairly hefty price premium.
I'm not planning a new truck until about 5-7 years from now, so it should be interesting to see the future of the RAM/Cummins. pcm
In 2012 we will also get a Chrysler/ZF made 8-speed auto.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodge man
In 2012 we will also get a Chrysler/ZF made 8-speed auto.
If this does happen, and Cummins does up the output accordingly (750-800 tq) then Hello 4th gen here I come.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:24 PM

That 2.8 I4 is already standard in European Dodge Nitro and in several Jeep vehicles. Does a good job. But could be a little bit more civil, less rough. Built by VM Motori in Italy. The ZF 8 speed is currently in the new Touareg/Cayenne SUV´s. If it withstands 900 lb ft of torque (I don´t think so) then it would be a perfect match for the RAM. Duramax already puts down 765 lb ft of torque so that new transmission....if it´s an 8 speed auto....should be able to hold at least 800 lb feet of torque. Bumping the Cummins to 400 hp should be easy but the torque would be insane, at least 800 lb ft. They better build that new transmission tough.

4.2 l V6 should see a hp bump, 190 hp is not enough. The 5.0, from what I´ve read, will be a 5.6 (modular to the 4.2) and should offer at least 300 hp and I hope it will be close to 350 hp.

Now the big question would be reliability, but I believe Cummins has sorted that one out...

Kris
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 PM
PCM

I'd really like Dodge to change and/or add to their truck cab configurations. I would like to see and extended cab with a 6.5' bed. The "other two" do offer extended cabs. Also, how about a 19.5 inch wheel package which would not only look better but would allow for a much broader choice of load range in tire choices. pcm
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by PCM
I'd really like Dodge to change and/or add to their truck cab configurations. I would like to see and extended cab with a 6.5' bed. The "other two" do offer extended cabs. Also, how about a 19.5 inch wheel package which would not only look better but would allow for a much broader choice of load range in tire choices. pcm
I agree with this and will expand.

With there current frame setup they could allow for special order situation like the 10ft bed on the BFT Ram.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:28 AM
DJM

I would love to see the extended cab return, with any bed. What is a BFT Ram?

Dan
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DJM
I would love to see the extended cab return, with any bed. What is a BFT Ram?
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/23/s...dodge-ram-bft/
Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM
DJM

Thank you !
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Does anyone know if this applies to MY 2012 or calendar year 2012? These plans are virtually always know by the UAW boys & girls, especially if the transmission plant is to be located in the states...

Quick Reply: RAM 2012 and beyond trucks