4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
I don't have a 5ver...I have a 35' 9500lb empty GN flatbed, and a 21' 4000lb bumper hitch trailer. Neither works very good until I'm almost stopped, then it locks up my trailer brakes.

Watching the meter in the dash, it MIGHT go to 3, until it locks up at 9

Chris
I thought about the goose factor after I had posted but interesting to note it is the same goose or tag whereas mine seems to be just the 5ver. I have another tag trailer but I busted a rear light on it and haven't fixed it yet. I will try that before going to the dealer.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hope for weak controllers...maybe

It looks like there might be some hope for the brake controllers. It looks like the 2012 models are now approved for electric over hydraulic and there's now a setting in the evic that allows you to select between light and heavy. I think this is new for 2012, I don't recall seeing this on the 2011's.

I don't know much about the setting differences, yet. I was reading over the owners manual for the '12 (downloaded) and in there they talk about the settings on the EVIC, but don't tell you much else. I'm hoping to go check a '12 next week, maybe I'll know more then.

Anyway, maybe Dodge/Ram/Fiat have finally figured something out on the controllers, hopefully just a programming update for you guys with the older ones.

Jeff.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM

My controller has been working fine but that would be a welcome upgrade if we could get a reflash. Please keep us posted on this if you learn something.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:53 AM

well I'm a little confused about the electric over hydraulic, now. The bodybuilders guide says elec. over hyd. is ok, but the owners manual still says electric only.

Jeff.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What brand of el/hyd actuator do you run? go to that website and see if they have a module you can install on the actuator itself
Old 09-23-2011, 02:47 PM

I don't have elec over hydro. I was just giving out what I thought was some new info for the others on here. My trailer is just electric. I don't even have a newer truck with the integrated controller, yet.

Right now I'm just watching for issues I need to be aware of on my next truck while I shop around.

Hopefully by this time next week I'll be done shopping.

Jeff.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I first thought it was a problem with the total power delivered to the brakes. Now I don't think so. If I apply the brakes manually on max power there is plenty of brake. The problem with mine has to do with how much of the power is applied. Even under hard braking I only get 50 - 60 % of available power. I don't know if this is a mechanical problem or software related.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 AM

I had my trailer checked at Camping World and the trailer is OK.This truck is the best I have ever owned but the brakes are not safe!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, dealer replaced the truck-side plug (said it was bad). Hooked on to the camper and pulled it over 6,000 miles round-trip, still listening to that d**n chime. Always had trailer brakes (even when the EVIC said they were disconnected). I'm sick of this. Any ideas where to mount an aftermarket controller? Things are pretty tight around the lower driver's side dash....

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 PM

I have to do something. We are going to Yellowstone and the brakes were not good for Florida's trip we just did.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by BobTipton
Well, dealer replaced the truck-side plug (said it was bad). Hooked on to the camper and pulled it over 6,000 miles round-trip, still listening to that d**n chime. Always had trailer brakes (even when the EVIC said they were disconnected). I'm sick of this. Any ideas where to mount an aftermarket controller? Things are pretty tight around the lower driver's side dash....

Thanks,

Bob
There's a thread over on dodgetalk.com where someone installed an aftermarket controller in the factory spot. I think it was in the 4th gen towing section.

jeff s.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff-kc9ftp
There's a thread over on dodgetalk.com where someone installed an aftermarket controller in the factory spot. I think it was in the 4th gen towing section.

jeff s.
Thanks! I just registered over there...

Bob
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Just an update.. I visited the dealer today to log a complaint about the brake controller which by all appearances was working fine but just not aggressive enough even on 10. They performed diagnostics and checked for C10C5-92 found an internal failure with the accelerometer and replaced the controller while I waited. I haven't tried it with a trailer yet but hoping it's a fix.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Just got back from a weekend trip to the foothills. I had the controller set to 7.0 and it seemed better than the last trip. I had to come to a pretty quick stop when the lite turned red and I grabbed the manual lever and it was adequate. Im just going to keep an eye on it. Maybe it was just me coming out of a prodigy vs this one.

Vinnie
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM

I was out today with my tandem dump trailer and the new brake controller is way better. Set on 7 it was really pulling so reduced to 6.5. I will try my 5ver next week. This has me thinking that there is a problem with a whole bunch of them and Dodge is not recalling them because a lot of people will never use them enough to notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Integrated Trailer Brake Controller