4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

I recently bought a 2010 Laramie Crew Cab SRW 3500 which has the optional brake controller. I discovered after the purchase that the brake controller will not work if your trailer is equipped with electric over hydraulic brakes. Does anyone know if there is a fix to get the controller to work with electric over hydraulic trailer brakes? If not, does anyone know how to install an after market controller? This truck did not come with a wiring harness for installing another brake controller. If it did I can't find it. Also, I can't find a plug under the dash to attach a brake controller wiring harness. We were planning a trip using the camper next week so I need a solution to this problem. If I do have to purchase a brake controller, I was planning to buy the recently released Prodigy P2. Any suggestions on how to use the Dodge controller with electric over hydraulic brakes or how to install a new controller would be very much appreciated.
Bob
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a Maxbrake or a BrakeSmart. I would go with the Maxbrake, I here the customer service is much better than BrakeSmart. As far as wiring it up, You will have to get with Dodge on that one.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 for the MaxBrake. Amazing controller, pricey, but worth it. The customer service is phenomenal.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses but you never answered my questions. I am very aware of the advantages of both BrakeSmart and MaxBrake. I am hoping for a response from an auto technician or an owner of a 2010 who have already investigated this problem. I can't seem to find any information by searching this forum or using Google.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is this plug still under the dash? It is next to the parking brake..Maybe the OEM controller is plugged into it?

Name:  plug.jpg
Views: 12385
Size:  17.4 KB

What brand of Elec/hyd actuator does your trailer have?
Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Thanks Colo River Ram for the picture. The wiring on my truck is somewhat different but there are enough similarities that I think I located the brake connector. You are right, if what I am looking at is the brake connector, it is being used for the oem brake plug. My camper has an Actibrake hydraulic system and Kodiak disk brakes. I have read where some of the other hydraulic brake manufacturers (Carlisle for one) have developed a module making it possible to use the oem electric brake controller on Fords and GM trucks. I was hoping that something similar was available for my setup given that the Dodge trailer brake controller is probably made by the same company that makes them for Ford and GM. Thanks again.
Bob
Old 05-31-2010, 10:11 PM
With age comes the cage

Bob,

Here is a cable that should plug into the harness and into your prodigy P-2.. I would call and ask them if it works on the 2010 models as the printed says through 2009.. (there is some additional pics on the link) Check prices on your P-2 as well. if you need an in-bed harness the number is in my 05 sig..

http://www.etrailer.com/p-3020-P.html

Here is a link to the Actibrake give them a call and see if they offer a module for your set-up..

http://www.activetech1.com/index.htm
Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM

I talked to my dodge dealer and told them about the problem I was having with the oem brake controller and that I was trying to determine how to install an aftermarket controller. About the only thing I got from the dodge dealer was a blank stare. I asked them to call a chrysler technician who said there was no place to plug in a new controller and that I would have to run wires to the battery, and ground. I now have the prodigy installed and it works great. I tried to call Actibrake but did not get an answer. I am pretty sure they went out of business. Depending on price, I may replace the Actibrake system with another brand. I really appreciate your help Colo.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
With age comes the cage

Bob,

Here is a pic from the link does your connector look like this (Blue)one? If so it should be a simple unplug and plug in an aftermarket controller..

Not all new trucks are shipped with the brake controller as it is an option, I don't think they would have a different truck harness for each set-up..

Name:  2009Ram1500BCPort2.jpg
Views: 8934
Size:  26.5 KB

Here is some more links for you:

Tekonsha (Prodigy P-2 MFR):

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/support.asp

And the dodge bodybuilders site:

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/year.pdf

Give them a call (especially the dodge engineers-they should be up on this new technology) they should be able to help you out..

keep us updated..
Old 06-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Anyone else noticing the integrated trailer brake isn't "aggressive" enough??

Seems like I have to STAND on the brakes to get the trailer to do anything...if it weren't for the exhaust brake, I would rather tow with my old 95...crappy truck brakes, but at least the trailer did some of the work...

Dealer says it's maxed out the way I have it set, and functioning correctly...
Chris
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM

I feel the same way. Even when the brake is manually applied to full it seems to have a delay and then it doesn't seem to fully apply the brakes. I can't get my brakes to lock on the trailer like I used to be able to unless I pull the brake away switch pin.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM

it works differently than other aftermarket BC's. No it wont lock up the brakes but i dont think it is designed to do that. I have about 5k miles pulling so far with 15k and never had a problem stopping. Ill admit, it feels differnt than the old prodigy, but gets the job done
Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM

I would just rather not wear out my truck brakes and let the trailer do it's fair share of the work...I always feel safer when the trailer starts slowing down before the truck does.

JMHO,
Chris
Old 06-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Exactly I am used to something a bit more aggressive or progressive while this seems to be a bit on the weak side but I am also curious how many axles I can brake. I know my old controller would do upto 2 axles. I have not been able to find out if this will do upto 3-4 axles or not. I don't want to find out the hard way the first time I try to pull a tripple.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:47 AM

I pulled a triple with mine...guess I didn't even think about it being capable of doing it...

Chris

Quick Reply: Integrated Trailer Brake Controller