4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2010 First Impression

Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 First Impression

Picked up the 3500 SRW SLT trim. After a 100 miles saddled up and let'er buck. Sorry for the long post.

While I'm not a cheerleader on its looks the Dodge engineers, as far as the interior design and running gear improvements, made a very good truck even better. Here's what I noticed day one.

The new truck is more refined in every way. Having just stepped out my 08' what strikes you is how many subtle interior design details and aerodynamics have been incorporated into the new truck.

At interstate speeds the truck is dead quiet, hardly any wind or engine noise and runs on rails compared to my 08'. No wander or steering wheel vibration whatsoever. Feels more billet solid. I think the improved geometry and stouter front end engineering must be a big factor.

The front and rear seats are finally worth sitting in. The rear seating extra leg room, fold down arm rest/cup holder, three headrests and overall layout is much better than the Quad Cab. Sure the Mega Cab is better but I couldn't justify that kind of money with this truck already costing as much as four good heel horses.

For someone who spends a lot of time in the back country like I do the hydraulic cab supports substantially improve rough road travel. I didn't think they would but they do. What really would be helpfull is engineering the cab dampners to be electronically adjustable for my really rough stuff. That, with the running gear improvements sure makes the truck a pleasure to drive on long hauls.

There is redundancy between gauges and read outs which is okay. The biggest safety improvement is the truck's trip and key diagnostic read outs are now located as an LED cluster in the center of the dash. No more running over the orange cones while you're trying to read the overhead. You can monitor your tranny temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel status, trip logs, compass, sirrius/HDD/CD track all by using the right steering wheel selectors looking straight ahead

The Cruise control arm and control is now attached to the steering wheel. When it turns they turn.

While I like the integrated brake controller, you can't see it down there by your left leg. But, the LED cluster allows you to also monitor the controller's braking force so it doesn't really matter unless you're in a panic. Of course, I couldn't see my aftermarket brake controller very well either.

The SLT climate control system and its controls have been improved and the new rear A/C Heat vent should have been incorporated back there long ago. The 4x4 on command control **** is lost somewhere behind the auto gear shift lever. I use it several times a day so I know where it is.

The double glove box is a big help. With the technology group (Alpine Speaker System) you lose one side of the rear underseat storage because there is subwoofer under there.

I'm still trying to figure out the REN HDD/DVD Sirrus radio. They give you a CD Rom instead of a manual with the truck so I assume it's playable in the REN radio.

The new alloy wheels are okay. I liked the other ones better. I know some people complain about the 17" wheels but when you replace tires as often as I do it saves a little money. I remember the good ol' days when truck wheels and lug patterns were interchangeable with trailer wheels. Sure made life easier.

I haven't seen the Laramie which is probably fancier but the SLT Big Horn (Regional Package) is more than sufficient for my working uses. Frankly, I'm gizmoed out and want to see better fuel economy and prices under $40k for a fully optioned truck.

I think the truck should earn truck of the year award. It really has come into its own now. I've owned the competition but this Dodge is a winner.

Long Live Cowboys!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new ride! Sounds great. NOW you have to post some pics!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:05 AM

goood write up. i am salivating just waiting on mine to be in .
Old 12-11-2009, 08:00 AM

Thanks DJ.

You'll be very happy with the truck.

If you can figure out how to download one song (instead of the entire CD)from a CD to the RENN hard drive please post. I gave up.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Truck Pic.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 First Impression-side.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Apache1

I think the truck should earn truck of the year award.
Funny you should mention that....

Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck
Dodge Pickup Beats Out Contenders From Ford, Toyota
DAN STRUMPF, AP Auto Writer

UPDATED: 8:39 am MST December 11, 2009
[BUZZ: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [DELICIOUS: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [DIGG: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [FACEBOOK: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [REDDIT: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [RSS] [PRINT: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck] [EMAIL: Motor Trend Tabs Ram Heavy Duty As Top Truck]
NEW YORK -- The 2010 Ram Heavy Duty was named Motor Trend magazine's truck of the year on Thursday, beating out contenders from Ford and Toyota in the closely watched competition.

The award is a welcome piece of good news for Chrysler Group LLC, which has seen its sales continue to lag even as competitors rebound. The Ram Heavy Duty beat out three other competitors: The Ford F-150 SVT Raptor, the Ford Transit Connect van and the Toyota Tundra 4.6-liter work truck.

The vehicle of the year designation is important to automakers, who often use Motor Trend's endorsement in their advertising. Chrysler last won truck of the year in 2003 with the Ram Heavy Duty. Last year, Ford Motor Co.'s F-150 truck took the prize, while in November the 2010 Ford Fusion was named car of the year.

Motor Trend praised the Ram Heavy duty for its powerful yet clean engine and its quiet comfortable ride. The magazine also said the truck's 17,500-pound towing capacity beats out rivals, while the platform received significant upgrades that improve ride, handling and noise compared with the previous model.

"The 2010 Ram Heavy Duty absolutely nailed the award in terms of our criteria, from the attractive exterior styling, to the plush and quiet cabins, to the tough and capable powertrains," said Angus MacKenzie, editor in chief of Motor Trend, in a statement.

The 2010 Ram Heavy Duty is available in five trim models and sports suspension and brake improvements that are designed to help in carrying heavy loads. The truck starts at $28,165 for a regular cab model, $36,865 for crew cab models and $36,865 for Mega Cab models. It is slated to arrive in dealerships before the end of the year.

Motor Trend said it has refocused the prize this year to reward trucks with greater utility, as leisure truck buyers have largely deserted the market. The magazine said the new focus is reflected in the choice of finalists, like the Ford Transit Connect, a cargo van.

The accolade comes at a time when Auburn Hills, Mich.-based Chrysler continues to suffer from poor sales as the broader industry is recovering. Sales at Chrysler, which merged with Italy's Fiat Group SPA earlier this year, fell 25 percent in November. Industrywide sales were flat during the same month.

The Ram truck is the best-selling vehicle in Chrysler's lineup, though sales fell 37 percent to 9,787 in November.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, looking forward to getting one in the spring. Sounds like you use your truck like...er...a truck.

One question, does the backseat heater/AC vent run on top of the driveline tunnel like in the MegaCab, thus limiting the frontseat middle passenger's foot room? (as if there was much anyway, especially with a 4X4 manual lever there.)

Just wondering if this is still a "6 passenger" vehicle like the QuadCab was.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM

Yes, the adjustable vent is built into the driveline tunnel and is located floor level between the rear of the front seats. Actually front center seating floor seems little higher but about the same legroom compared to my Quad Cab. By the way you have to really hike your left foot to set the parking brake.

No problem fitting in six which is why I prefer the premium split bench over bucket seats. I like to be able to carry driver plus two in front if I have to. While I grew up with manual TC cases, I haven't had one in 8 years. The auto TC have never failed me using it continuously, every day.

I use the truck like an ox in some of the roughest desert mountain country in the U.S. These HD Rams love it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Good looking truck and great write up, may I ask why you went with a shortbed, seems that most people that "work" their rigs buy longbeds.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 PM

thanks for the write up hopeing to get mine soon ANYONE WANT A SWEET LIFTED TRUCK
Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM

I prefer short beds because in tight off road 4x4 canyon country they're easier to manuver with. For my uses the long bed's added length with a trailer can be a negative.

Second, since I use trailers 90% of the time to haul livestock, machines, feed, materials etc, I really don't need a long bed. When I have to without the trailer, I drop the tailgate.

Never had a problem manuvering with a B/W on a short bed Ram. But, for all of us using goosenecks there is always that rear window and tailgate no matter what bed length. . .
Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Very good write up. I work out of a pickup everyday too so I enjoyed your "review" on the newer one.Have you had it long enough to check millage? I was wondering if dodge has done anything to improve mileage now that the 6.7 has been out a few years.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Thanks Banyon and everyone. This is really a nice truck.

Looks I am getting about 16.5 mpg at higher interstate speeds out of the box. Same as my 08' when I picked it up. The 08' was almost pushing 20 at 35K.

I suspect this truck will eventually mellow out in the 18 -20 mpg range.

The 6.7 auto 4x4 has more than enough torque and HP for my needs. I hope they now concentrate on reliability, durability, fuel economy and getting control of their costs.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Last night had a chance to run the truck out of the canyon on a tight paved switch back mountain road.

Wow! You're gonna have a lot of fun.

Another nice detail is the small concealed LED light integrated into and under the driver tow mirror. When you unlock the truck at night it illuminates the handle. Helpful.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Drove a fairly well loaded 3500 SLT Crew long bed Auto yesterday for a little test drive. Little stop and go and little hwy. Bench type cloth seat front. Noticed the slotted cut out in the carpet on top of the Tranny Hump? What is the primary purpose? Also, did your '08 have a "scheduled maintance requirement for emissions " turbo cleaning, egr cooler cleaning, cvc cleaning/replacement??? I thought I read this in the owner's service manual of the '10 but do not not know at what intervals or at what cost to expect. Do you have any ideas about this?

I thought the truck was very quiet inside at idle and driving. It was also pretty quiet outside the vehicle as well. I think the wide open front above the license plate holder will be an open invitation for rocks or road debris to cause damage. I didn't think the quality of the switches were an improvement and thought most of the interior "plastic" was quite cheaply done, I hope it will hold up and fuction well for the duration. (Maybe a laramie is nicer or a little different?) I like the instrument cluster as well as the Information display. Radio was a big improvement for a factory system. The cloth bench type seats were more comfortable then my leather laramie seats.
The mirrors were a better improvement as far as visibility was concerned. But still look like a "cheap" improvement for the turn signals and puddle lamps vs a new engineered mirror in both materials used and design. The truck I drove had the black plastic material used in previous years also look subject to fading /dulling easy scratching etc. The door seals (wind noise) were leaps and bounds improvement over my '07 as well as the ride and comfort. (3500 did not feel nearly as harsh over the same hwy bumps/holes or side roads)

The onscreen instrument cluster MPG Estimator (had read 22MPG) before I started.. I had reset it just for grins while out driving it. When I was finished it had read. 17.4MPG I do realize this is not hand calculated or a long enough drive but was just trying to compare how my '07 computer mpg reacted on similiar type/duration driving. I like the larger steering wheel grip/feel then the '07. Again, I have to wonder how well the "switches" will hold up especially the steering wheel switches which will get used quite a bit.

Whether just an illustion or not...the over all body sheet metal seemed to be lighter material. Tailgate assisted or Is it just a lighter bumper? This vehicle stickered over $52,000. I think they could of did a better job for that kind of money or have a MUCH lower MSRP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 First Impression