4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

2010 First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
Those are crew cabs you're seeing on the '09 1500, not quad cabs.
Nope, the 09 1500 is a quad and crew.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Swayse
Yep.. The 1500's come in a Quad Cab and a CREW Cab......... The HD's only come in regular cab, crew, and MEGA!

Boost
Old 12-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Love the look of the new HD.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Swayse
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
Yep.. The 1500's come in a Quad Cab and a CREW Cab......... The HD's only come in regular cab, crew, and MEGA!

Boost
Well I'll be dipped.
http://www.dodge.com/en/2009/ram_1500/cabs_and_trims/

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet.

Seems odd they'd offer both quad and crew though... there's not that much difference. Maybe the the 9" of bed space makes a difference to some people, I dunno.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM

A couple more items.

Under the fuel & mpg display in the center dash console there is a progressive led bar which monitors fuel consumption rate if you want to try and drive the rate down. Not sure how really useful or accurate that gizmo is. Mercifully, they didn't put another audible alarm on it!

The rear tailgate is lighter that the 08'. No noticebale disadvantage sizewise but it's much easier to open and close.

Under the rear carpet set there are two floor compartments (with hinged lids) for drop in storage in addition to the understeat storage sharing the subwoofer space (technology option).

In our very dark country you get a good feel for headlight illumination. I noticed the new headlights are an improvement particuarly side illumination.

Lumbar support is now electric.

Drove a certain asphalt road where I used to always get a little vibration in the steering wheel from the uneven road surface. Gone now. Again, pretty sure it's the new improved front end.

The Mig radio has lots of features but the REN version won't let you do much programming. Maybe the next RBZ iteration will.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:47 PM

Apache,

How long from the time the dealer built your truck (build from inventory sheet then put your order in to Ram), did you pickup your truck. Could you walk me through your process? Did dealer call you from time to time? or did Ram call you with a VIN etc.?? Thanks for your time.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:51 PM

Mega,

Mid October, I told dealer to order me a SRW 3500 Crew 4x4 with the Big Horn Regional Package, Protection Group and Technology Groups. Asked them for the VON number, accepted order status sheet and to call me when it was gatelined (production ready).

Mid November they called with the gateline date and VIN Number. Dealer said it would be shipped in about one to two weeks from then. Verified that with Ram Customer Assistance. The delay between order and gateline was attributable to new model production scheduling. Orders should be moving faster now.

I asked the Dealer to "red tag" the truck by the freight yard which prioritizes dealer delivery.

Picked up the truck December 11th.

Through the process the dealer was pretty good about letting me know if we were on schedule. My understanding is customer orders carry more weight than stock inventories when it comes to getting the truck to the dealer post production. I wouldn't be afraid to call them weekly. I called Ram Customer Assistance a couple of times for status too. Hope this helps you.

You'll like the truck.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM

About the Media Center 430 Radio REN option. The Radio touch screen rotates up revealing the DVD/CD slot. In addition to loading a CD, you can load DVDs' into the head unit and watch them when not driving the truck.

When driving you lose the video but can still hear the audio part of the program. Pretty nice feature.

You can copy CDs' to the head unit as playlists but not DVDs'.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:44 AM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Apache1
About the Mig Radio REN option. The Radio touch screen rotates up revealing the DVD/CD slot. In addition to loading a CD, you can load DVDs' into the head unit and watch them when not driving the truck.

When driving you lose the video but can still hear the audio part of the program. Pretty nice feature.

You can copy CDs' to the head unit as playlists but not DVDs'.
You can get the mygig lockpick and actually have the DVD video play while moving. I wouldn't suggest watching while driving but it would be great for passengers. Plus it allows address input while in motion. Again not for the driver but your copilot can punch in the info for you so you don't have to stop.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:46 PM

Mega,

Mid October, I told dealer to order me a SRW 3500 Crew 4x4 with the Big Horn Regional Package, Protection Group and Technology Groups. Asked them for the VON number, accepted order status sheet and to call me when it was gatelined (production ready).

Mid November they called with the gateline date and VIN Number. Dealer said it would be shipped in about one to two weeks from then. Verified that with Ram Customer Assistance. The delay between order and gateline was attributable to new model production scheduling. Orders should be moving faster now.

I asked the Dealer to "red tag" the truck by the freight yard which prioritizes dealer delivery.

Picked up the truck December 11th.

Through the process the dealer was pretty good about letting me know if we were on schedule. My understanding is customer orders carry more weight than stock inventories when it comes to getting the truck to the dealer post production. I wouldn't be afraid to call them weekly. I called Ram Customer Assistance a couple of times for status too. Hope this helps you.

You'll like the truck.

Thanks Apache for all your help.

My order was placed Mid Dec. Fully Loaded (I am told, I like bells whistles ) 3500 Mega Laramie 4X4 SRW snow plow prep (was Red Tagged Requested) I just want a QUALITY BUILT vehicle...not a rush job I have had enough bad luck.. The build sheet/order sheet copy is quite different than the BUILD YOUR DODGE online site. Wasn't quite sure if the 3.73 gears on the 3500 Mega was the Limited slip/Anti-slip type or not. I don't want open diff. (I tried to get lockers for front/back was told not available for my order and back are standard) I wanted heated front/back seats/along steering. I ordered Leather buckets (option) I was told only fronts and steering wheel would be heated not the back seats. I thought I read it was available. (this dealer does not do a lot of diesel special truck orders but was willing (with a deposit of course) to help me with this and I do appreciate their time. The Ram customer service number??? (Same number with dodge.com Build Ram/ Chat???)

As long as I don't have problems with the EMISSIONS Garbage and get close to fuel milage I'll probably be happy with it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM

You should see your truck about 6 weeks from the order date.

I work my 6.7s' very hard. Never had any problems with the 06' or, the 08'. But, I don't spend much time in town idling and sitting in traffic either. That's another matter.

I'm in 4x4 Hi and Lo every day hauling heavy off road (all weather) and never have had the auto TC miss a beat. My auto TCs' have been bullet proof in 4x4 off road. Few people run their trucks in the kind of country I do. With the new Ram never felt any need for lockers or, a manual TC and, I grew up with them.

The SRWs' come with 3.73 gears unless you specify otherwise. They now offer one gear set below and one above the 3.73s'. I believe the 4x4s' come with limited slip but you should check with your dealer. When I ordered my SLT Big Horn, I didn't see L/S as an option on the order sheet whereas, I believe the 08' you had to option it. Mine has L/S so not sure if it's a 4x4 or Big Horn component.

IMO the new 2010 is a quality product. The engine room has been cleaned up and under the hood the layout sparkles. I'd hate to work on one though. But then, it's a Cummins.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:24 AM

The integrated brake controller is really an excellent unit. Smoothly progressive and handles big loads well, especially tricky steep grade descends. My Prodigy unit tended to stutter the trailer a little at slower speeds off pavement.

I would have mounted the controller in the left pillar but the unit is so good you don't need to watch it anyway. Easy enough to find with your left hand.

I'm convinced the reworked front end contributes to the more surefooted feeling when towing. Steering feels more solid and accurate overall. Towing has been incrementally improved. Running gear guys will have a better explanation than mine.

The climate control system works better too. Larger vents and more air volume getting into the truck faster is a big help.

Unlike the 08', if you turn on the exhaust brake and shut the truck off, when you restart the truck the exhaust brake is still engaged.

Someone may correct me but like the 08s' the 10' 3500 1 tons don't have the tire air pressure sensor monitors.

The space in the newly designed bumper exposes a little of the lower radiator. I'm sure they've done testing on that but a rock in the right place wouldn't be good and I'm in a lot of rocks. A mesh grid behind there would have been good insurance.

I'm no too excited about the two tone interior. The charcoal inserts and mats show the dirt badly. Grey was better. Looks like the 1930s' in spats but then I'm not a person of fashion.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:44 AM

Just finished a quick 2,000 mile western interstate trip (without trailer) which I don't do very often.

I guesss the way I'd sum it up is the Ram guys polished this truck to the point of why own more than one vehicle as expensve as they all are. This one does it all.

The beefed up front end, better aerodynamics, interior comfort and so on made the trip really a pleasure. The truck just ran on rails, quiet and with a high level of comfort. An incremental improvement over the 08' with emphasis on comfort.

You'd never know you where in a one ton 4 x 4. The display showed an average trip highway/town 17.7 mpg. The RollnLock cover probably helped the mpg a little.

Looks like I'll be roping a little further out than I planned.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM

The display showed an average trip highway/town 17.7 mpg. The RollnLock cover probably helped the mpg a little.
That means you get about 15.5 mpg, hand computed? Mine always reads a couple mpg high. I think Dodge does that purposely. Hows it doing on real bumpy roads? Is it soaking it all up while remaining planted? Thanks for the write-ups, for the benefit of us all.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Report, Apache!
You answered most of my questions..... and a few I did not know to ask.

RJ

Quick Reply: 2010 First Impression