4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

So is no one tuning their gen 4's anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is no one tuning their gen 4's anymore?

There is essentially zero current tune information available. Apparently no tuner manufacturers are even willing to hint that they support any kind of non-EPA compliance. Maybe that's a product of the last 8 years and will change in the future? Who knows. Some speak to custom programming but finding that programming is near impossible. Maybe I'm just incapable of typing the right thing into the google machine. A thread on "another Cummins diesel site" that is barely two years old has several links to custom tunes for the Bully Dog but they are all dead now. H&S is apparently TU now although there are a **** ton of Mini Max's still out there new for sale. RaceMe stuff costs well over a grand. Smarty also says that they don't support non-EPA tuning but that custom tunes are available for the Touch.

I'm not looking for race tunes or even 10 tunes. I just want something that I can hook up, monitor (instead of putting in more gauges) and help with hauling and towing. Maybe I'd like to EGR delete. Maybe when I need a new DPF or something I'll opt for a delete there too.

And does anyone know where CBrahs went? I read thru his great sticky thread on deleting a 4th gen for the first time in years. But I noticed that he hasn't posted here since sometime in 2015?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I debated Mini-Maxx vs RaceMe. I was finding new Mini-Max units for $899. The tranny tuning was another $250. I opted for RaceMe because (1) they're still in business overseas (Austria, I think) and can provide support, and (2) tranny tuning is included.

So, it was a few hundred more, but my situation was that I was consistently getting the 'DPF 80% Full' message on the EVIC. After pricing those things at various parts houses, deletes were the way to go. I could've gotten by cheaper with an $1800 DPF with a 1 year warranty and run the risk of having to do it again in a year or two, get a $2500 DPF with a five year warranty and still maybe have to do it again at a later date (I figure I'm lucky that I got seven years on the factory DPF). So, I figured that I had a $2500-$3000 budget to work with. My outlay for the RaceMe, Sinister EGR/Cooler delete kit, pillar mount for the tuner, and Flo-Pro 4" turbo to factory muffler was $2175. Paid a shop $485 to install. So for the cost of a DPF plus the cost to install, I'm deleted and never have to worry about the DPF again. For me personally it was money well-spent.

Good luck in whatever you decide,

Bob
Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You need to do a Google search. There is a lot more out there then you realize. Do a search for EFILive and go through the diesel performance parts websites that show up. There are quite a few options to choose from.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Bob, what was the mileage when you started getting the DPF msgs?

mine started at 88,000 miles and so did two others I confirmed.
I found it odd that three trucks of different years with different uses had this issue all at 88,000 miles.

My truck was less than a year old. Towing all the time.

I considered EFI live and went with the UltraME.
The following users liked this post:
weiweihey (11-01-2023)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Truck had just over 91k. I really can't complain too much, I guess. Got 7 years out of it. I was mostly at fault as it spent a lot of time idling around wildlife refuges where we volunteer. But it's gone now - never have to worry about it again...

Regards,

Bob
Old 06-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Top's Younger Twin

All seem to be in the same mileage range. I racked my 88K on my 16 in 9 months. I suppose a filter is a filter and they clog around the same time. I vowed the moment I had issues I would address this how I did.

I run my UltraME on the tow version, set it and forget.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM

I'm running stock power for now. When I get used to how it tows stock, I may try the 30hp tune.

Regards,

Bob
Old 06-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EFILive in an Autotune is available from companies like Motorops.ca out of Canada if you want to delete. They also have transmission tuning available.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally, I don't see a need to mod the 2013+ (DEF) trucks unless you're making a sled puller. I think Dodge + Cummins really nailed it. Plenty of HP & torque to tow anything you're inclined to safely tow, descent fuel economy, emissions system seems to work. What's not to love? Until your warranty is up anyway....then delete away if so inclined.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Shortly after my warranty expired, I started getting all sorts of emissions codes. The dealer said the retail cost to fix my emissions issues would be $10,300.00.
my wholesalers price was $8800.00 plus tax and plus labor.
I agree intact and functional warranteed the truck would stay stock.
After warranty is over and issues occur, delete at 1/4 the cost.

I'm running the ME ultra on the tow level and have been for 60k miles

Another parameter I considered with putting all new emissions stuff on would be I'd probably be doing it again every 88-100k miles. Consider depreciation and these added costs and I would be driving a truck more upside down financially then any other.
lets guess 20k hit for depreciation and mileage and 10k for new emissions, im close to 1/2 value in just over a year. I know I'll take a whoopin with the miles I put on but I can slow the bleeding my deleting.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I went ahead and bought a Smarty Touch. Installed and so far, I like what I see. I've run it on the 60hp and 120hp settings and have added some timing advance to it and the difference is as expected, incredible. The throttle response is awesome, power is awesomer. No hard launches as I still need my trans; I'm thinking of having it built next year for added durability. But rolling on the throttle is just as much fun! The configurable gauges are nice, I wish the analog dials had larger numbers (I'm 51 for pete's sake...) but the digital gauges, set to the slowest update are passable. Hoping there is a way to get right of the 10ths reading so that it updates in whole numbers only.

Also have just ordered the pyro kit. Should have done it beforehand. The ECM reads 4 EGT sensors but no one seems to know where they are save for post-turbo. I assume that there are two pre- and post-cat and two pre- and post-DPF. Anyhow, each one reads something different depending on what's going on so, useless. So I'll be drilling and tapping my manifold. Having boost pressure is nice. Rail pressure is nice, I assume that that is the IP pressure. I have not seen where there is a low pressure fuel pump reading tho. That's too bad.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:33 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EFI Live works flawless in every way on my highly modified 18.