4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HID Conversion for High, Low & Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HID Conversion for High, Low & Fog Lights

Is there an easy way to convert my headlights and fog lights to HID? Does anyone make a kit for that? Or is it just a matter of changing bulbs. I don't really know much about HID lighting, but I'm looking into adding LED or HID off road lights to my front bumper and I want the color of my headlights to match. On that note, I want the lights as white as possible. I don't really want the blue look that I see on a lot of vehicles.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Yes, there are multiple kits to do this. The color of the light is selectable. There are charts that show what bulb provides what color.
Not sure about the 4th gens, but they are probably the same as the 3rd gens in that the stooopid computer controls the lights, so if you switch to HIDS you will need to add a ballast resistor or else the computer will read the wrong current draw and may show a light out condition. Some kits come with the resistor and others it is extra. In my truck I just installed a relay so that the computer reads the light current by adding extra driving lights in the bumper. (The holes were already there) In other words, I have 4 lights that come on with my low beams. Just focused them to provide more low level light.

Do a search on this site and you will find LOTS of HID info. It's not HIDden.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID kits

I have them on my 2008 Megacab and they work awesome but are a pain in the A$$ because of all the wiring etc and finding mounting spots for the relays etc. Once you have them you will NEVER want to drive without them. Its sad that there are no good MADE IN THE USA kits. Once you get yours you will see how low quality the connections and wires are. I'm sooo sick of made in China garbage. I would gladly pay more for quality.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 AM

I ordered the Digital kits from Retro Solutions after seeing a lot of great reviews on them. For $500 I expect them to be high quality, so if they're not then ill send them righ back.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Kits received. I installed the high and low beam HID's last night. Everything worked perfect except that I think the passenger side low beam bulb is bad. Or perhaps just the wrong color. I've contacted the vendor to try and resolve the issue but they're in CA so they're not open yet.

Overall I'm very happy and highly recommend the Digital brand kits from Retro Solutions. I had a lot of questions before purchasing and they answered each of them in great detail as they helped me figure out exactly what I needed. Time will tell for sure, but the quality of the ballasts and harnesses and bulbs seems to be top notch. Each kit even came in a very nice aluminum case.

Here's a pic showing my different colored lights. As soon as I get this resolved and get the fog lights done I'll take a pic of everything and post it here.

Driver Side:

Passenger Side:
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update? i know HIDs can look different colors from different angles. I wonder if they could be tweaked since the lights are not pointed exactly the same (tolerances as well as left light lower to avoid blinding oncoming traffic). Look at the lights from higher and lower than normal. Does anything change?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Yeah, they're sending me two new bulbs for the low beams. I ordered everything in 5000K. The high beams and fog lights look bright white just like I wanted. The driver side low beam was a little cooler and the passenger side low beam was warmer and pinkish. The folks at Retro Solutions believed they somehow sent me two different colors for the low beams. So, they're sending me two replacements that I should receive on Monday.

Overall I'm very happy with everything. Just ready to get the low beams matching everything else.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoss -- I think you are going to cause me to spend much money. Hmm...

I've been complaining about the headlights on my Ram for the 18 months I've had it. My wife bought her Durango the same day (yeah, we made that salesman's day...two vehicles in less than 2 hours!). The headlights on that (HID) make the Ram's look like a Model T's lantern "headlights".

Oh, well...a little over a month until my birthday, so happy birthday to me!

When you get the new bulbs installed and snag some pics, can you get a couple pics of the electrical install (where you managed to find room to mount it, etc)?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM

I didn't take pics, but for the high and low beams I tucked the ballasts and as much of the wiring as possible into the space behind the headlight housings. There are two ballasts for each side, so I bolted them together using the little mounting bolts that came with them and then zip tied the assembly in place behind the headlights. So, you can't see my ballasts at all.

For the fog lights I simply used some self tapping screws and screwed the ballasts to the underside of my Ranch Hand right above the light. The fog
Lights were a piece of cake compared to the rest of it.