3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID high/low beam lights with daylight running option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID high/low beam lights with daylight running option?

Have searched the forums and found lots of folks who have HID's, fogs, etc. but haven't seen anyone who indicates that they have HID's operating with the mandatory daylight running lights as we do here 'up north.
I can't find a set-up that would work 'plug and play' into the existing wiring harness without burning out a switch or triggering the 'lamp out' on an '05 - any links and advice from folks who have HID's appreciated.
Looking for a good quality setup. Am running PIA's now, but would like to upgrade further. thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my .02 cents:
the DRL runs reduced voltage to the bulb.

the HID is either off, or on. and it is connected to the truck via a module (think of a ballast for a flourescent light)

i would wire the DRL reduced voltage to the Fog Lights, some how if you had to,

you have to run HID's as "always on" , so they have to be the low beam.

it can take a few seconds for them to "strike" and come on.
sometimes my left one would take a while, sometimes the right one.

my recommendation would be to put HID's in the foglights, and aim them up where they light up the road (that's if you are in the boonies)

HID's don't work in stock headlight housings, because the filament in the HID is not where it should be, so the light is diffused ALL OVER and doesn't point where it needs to be. i think they would do OK in fogs
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks -HID in the fog's is one option I'm considering.

Next twist is that when we run our high beams, we cannot do so with fog lights + high beams on at the same time. I know the Fogster exists, but not sure if it's compatable with DRL yet (I heard that Geno's supplier was working on it but not sure if it's there yet). Ideal scenario with HID fog's would be to run the high beams with HID fogs ... I have my PIA landing lights to light up the distance, but close range needs help.

Other ideas ? I read a post about putting a projection bulb aka BMW light into the housing but not sure if that requires cutting or not.