4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Having to restore the emissions

Old 06-02-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Having to restore the emissions

Hello all,

Please forgive me if this has been discussed. I've been looking for a few days and haven't been able to find the answers. I'm also not one to post often for help as I feel if I have the problem, others had too. I just need to search for the solution. As such, this is my first post.

I need some council. I bought a used 2014 Mega 2500 6.7L back in September. The previous owner did an exhaust delete before I bought it. I have the CPS switch for an EFI Live tune but none of the wiring behind it. I have no idea who or where it was done. It also did not come with anything like an AutoCal.

I'm still trying to figure out what has been done to it, but it looks like just a exhaust delete. The EGR system is all there, just unplugged. Also currently has a check engine light. Reader indicates EGR issues (no duh, it's unplugged) indicating it wasn't tunned right. Was gonna spend the money to get a local shop to fix the tune. Not even sure if the unlock cable is still there (or if you can even remove it after a new tune is installed) or what method to unlock was even done.

Now, this is where it gets bad. When I bought it, my county wasn't an emission county, but now my wonderful governor has decided to sign a bill requiring emissions on diesel pickups (not cars) in my county. Meaning, I need to find everything and put it back on.

In looking for the parts to do it (I have till Sept 2019), I found a full exhaust from the turbo back including the DPF, SCR, sensors and it even looks like some EGR parts on eBay for a 2015 for $900 including shipping with 3200 miles on them. (Here's an image of all included, https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w~gAA...PP/s-l1600.jpg )

1. Will this work on a 2014?
2. Once installed, can I drive it the 5 miles or so to the steelership to have it reflashed without harm to the newly installed MPG killers? Can the local tuner restore it to factory? (I need to go through my mechanic to get to the tuner, so he doesn't quite know.)
3. I think the one on the ebay listing is for a crew cab where mine is a mega. I assume it's just the tailpipe or maybe a mid-pipe that is the only difference for hanger locations and length? If so, I can get a dpf back to make up the difference.
4. This maybe more of a question for the local tuner, but is it possible to use the CPS switch to select an emission tune and non-emission tune meaning I can remove all the junk after I pass and just turn a switch?
5. Is there an online tuner that can send me an AutoCal that has both a factory tune and non-emission tune?

Thanks for the help. I've been around diesels quite some time as a CDL, but most of them have been pre emissions. This is my first personal diesel truck and therefore adventures into the joys of mods and laws. Any help and council would be appreciated and won't fall on deaf ears.

-TLSail
Old 06-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My advice for what it's worth: I'd drive it until 2019, sell it and get another one that will meet the emissions. There will be plenty of out-of-area (emissions free) buyers willing to take it off your hands. These trucks sure hold their value, and you won't be adding any value by neutering it.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
The owner sold you an illegally deleted truck.
That's a federal offense. At the very least he should foot the bill for the equipment.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd drive it until 2019, sell it and get another one that will meet the emissions

X2

I think you'll end up paying more than it's wort to get it back. I doubt you'll ever get a copy of the original "before delete" software.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 AM

Thank you all.

Thanks for the input. I knew what I was buying at the time and I did so from a used dealer. It was 6 months later the law here changed. An since it was a dealer I bought it from, I had to sign that no warranty sheet absolving them of all issues relating to it. And they bought it from an auction in Texas. (It doesn't even have the block heater cord.) So the history is really unknown to me.

I've never considered the possibility of selling it prior to the inspection date. My last truck I've owned (and still do, though am selling it) for 15 years. It's something I'll have to think about as I know I got a really good deal on it and I doubt I'll lose much if anything on the sale of it.

As far as getting the original software, the *********** said they'd reflash it for me based on the vin if I decide to restore it (of course at the shop rate.) (I asked them today since I had to bring it for recalls.)

Thanks again for the input. You've given me some thought.

-TLSail.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by tlsail
. . . An since it was a dealer I bought it from, I had to sign that no warranty sheet absolving them of all issues relating to it. . .
I hate to say it, but its probably time to consult an attorney or Utah Division of Consumer Protection. They will tell you (towards the bottom) you are responsible for everything that goes wrong after you bought it, but your truck was 'wrong' before you bought it.

Its probably illegal for them to sell you a vehicle that has been altered from federal requirements. If so, the attorney could write them a letter demanding they bring your truck up to the legal requirements or refund your purchase. At the very least, contact the state and see what they say.
Just a thought. Back to morning brew . . .
Old 06-06-2018, 12:20 PM

I was going to talk to my attorney to see what my options are, just haven't had the time yet.

Thanks again for the advice.

-TLSail
Old 06-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, I didn't notice you're in Utah. Own any acreage? If you register it as a farm vehicle I'm pretty sure it's exempt from emissions (at least in Cache County).