1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Restore?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Restore?

Has anyone else ever heard of Restore fluids? The manufacturers claim this fluid "restores" compression to old motors, as well as mend mildly abused cylinder walls. Has anyone ever used this?...just curious

thanks,

BigWhite
Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Yup. I talked about it in another thread awhile back. Never used it on a diesel but I've seen results with it on small block chevy's and on a 58 Chevy straight 6. I was very surprised. Make sure you shake well
Old 09-19-2007, 10:53 AM

I dumped some in a seriously tired ranger pick-up once. I have to say it helped alot, but that engine was already to the 'miracle cure' stage and nothing was going to hurt it. I don't know if I would use it in an engine that didn't already have problems.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used it once on a SBC that had a rod knock and was trying to prolong its life just a little bit longer until I could find a place where I could fix it and it did make a difference but I think the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer made the most difference that stuff really sticks to the bearings and helps a bit.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:42 PM

I have used it on several vehicles that smoked. All but one were completely smoke free after using just one can. The worst one was reduced to a light haze. The vehicles I used it on were all gassers. If your engine is to that point, it can only help. It did help a knock on one Ford I had also.

I have used ATF and Seafoam to clean cylinders of carbon and other junk. Your exhaust will look like a mosquito fogger for a few minutes using either.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM

thanks for the info...i was considering using it as preventative maintenance...the container for this stuff doesn'tlook real "shakeable"....fluid feels kinda thick...i don't think my motor's compression is suffering, but i was thinking that maybe this would keep it that way..any thoughts?

thanks,

BigWhite
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM

I definately don't think it would hurt anything. But I also don't think it would prevent any wear on the engine. It's just made to seal and fill in gaps respectively. Try a can and see if you notice any increase in anything: less smoke etc....

The cans are pretty full but they do stir up if shaken. Watched my uncle pour a can in one time that he didnt shake and at the bottom was a thick layer of bluish greenish goo. Just turn it upside down and shake for a minute or so.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Chapter President

I have never used the stuff, but I have heard horror stories over the counter down at the local parts and gab, I personaly wouldn't use it unless I had nothing to loose, or on a Ford. Ive used the Lucas oil stabilizer in all my vehicles and have been really happy. Restore may have a money back gaurentee, but they dont have an engine back gaurentee thats my two cents. ( a Cummins is a horrible thing to waste)
Old 09-19-2007, 11:30 PM

What do they say about it?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Chapter President

Ive heard guys say that it can clogg your filter, gum up the oil pump, plug oil ports on the bearings, it can accelerate wear, and I believe the magic ingredient is suspended lead, besides the poisonous asspects, it is soft therfore only a temporary fix, But thats just what I've heard. I have never used or known anyone whose used it so I geuss its just heresay. I still wouldn't put any in my Cummins unless it was burning a gallon of rotella every 500 miles or there was more smoke in the pan than oil thats just my opinion
Old 09-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is unless you have engine trouble with your cummins then I would just put that extra dough into upgrading to synthetic oil if you haven't already and run it til the end of time.