4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Gooseneck Hidden Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck Hidden Hitches

Looking to get a hidden fifth wheel gooseneck hitch put in my 2012. So far i've come across two brands of hitches so far (bulldog and B&W turnover). Wondering of you guys that have them if you could tell me what brand is the best since I have no history with a hidden hitch. I've heard the B&W gets corroded easy and makes the ball hard to switch around but don't know if it true or not. Let me know of other brands if you have any knowledge on them.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I have a B&W while I have not had trouble with corrosion being an issue (and if I did I would just keep it lubed up with wd 40, crc or the like to keep the corrosion away. What I have had happen on occasion is haul a bunch of dirt or rock in the bed and have some of the fine particles work their way down into the ball pocket/storage area and not be able to get it out because those particles have built up enough and filled/wedged it enough that I have literally had to take a hammer underneath the truck to pound the ball up out of its storage area once out the dirt etc falls out and is good to go after that. This has only happened a couple times after hauling several loads of rock that had to much dust in it to begin with and then not wash out the back of the truck and not use the ball for a while after where those particles have had a chance to settle deeply in the ball mount. And even that I would not call a b&w problem but mine for not cleaning my stuff up properly.

I would definitely buy another one if I needed one
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 AM

I have the turnover ball in two of my pickups, I try and clean the mechanism every time I clean the truck and I store the ball in the can so if there is material in the box it can't jam up the ball. Also I have a spray lube like Fluid film I use on the lock it's a load bearing grease it stops corrosion and keeps it free.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
The B&W is a very good hitch my son and I both have them he stores his ball in the hitch but keeps it greased up he also keeps a tow hitch in the rear receiver but also keeps that greased up, I like to keep things clean and keep my ball in the tool box and never use any lube, never leave anything in the rear receiver either.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
B&W turnover ball and companion here. love them both
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 PM

thanks guys, i think I've made a decision, now just to find the best deal on one.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
The B&W is a very good hitch my son and I both have them he stores his ball in the hitch but keeps it greased up he also keeps a tow hitch in the rear receiver but also keeps that greased up, I like to keep things clean and keep my ball in the tool box and never use any lube, never leave anything in the rear receiver either.

good job keeping it out of the rear!