Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck hitches

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooseneck hitches

I'm looking into getting a gooseneck hitch for my truck and wanted to know where, which manufacturer, and price of the hitch, that you guys are using/recommend.

I was looking at getting a pop up type but read about some issues with them breaking?

-CM
Old 11-04-2003, 02:09 PM

Re:Gooseneck hitches

B&W Turn over ball. It was about $400 installed. I've used it about 5 times at about 12k trailer weight so far no problems.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said.....B&W.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:28 PM

Do you have a welder and torch? If so I can show/tell you how to build your own a lot cheaper! If not there are several kinds,the fold down and drop in with pin's are nice,as you have flat bed space available,I pull goose on equipment trailers and my fith wheel,have not heard of any problems,Also there are hitch companys around here that sell kits you can put in yourself without welders or torches. Good luck Rick
Old 11-04-2003, 04:11 PM

Just installed a B&W in my pickup a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. Easiest install ever. Easily installed in an hour and a half. Tonight we are going to put one on my dad's new pickup. He helped with the first one and was very impressed with the quality and how they are installed.

On my short box we did have to cut off two tabs on the box but other than the 4" whole everything else just bolts into existing holes. I will know for sure after tonight, but I don't think you have to cut the tabs off of the long box pickups.

If you look around you can get them shipped to you for under 300.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM

I have a B&W turnover ball and it wont break, trust me! You can also bye the fifth wheel comapanion and go either way like HOSS!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

:

[quote author=packfan25 link=board=11;threadid=21995;start=0#msg205610 date=1067983915]If you look around you can get them shipped to you for under 300.
[/quote]

I'd be VERY interested in knowing who you got them from for under $300. I've been wanting one, but the lowest I've seen was $425. PM me....
Old 11-04-2003, 05:42 PM

Around here there is a place that sells it for $300 installed.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Banned

What ever you do, don't go with the guy and his tourch.... I have a B&W turnover Ball, there is nothing to break??? I don't know who you talked to , but I have had zero trouble and don't know anyone else that has. From what I have seen, It is one of if not the best hitch on the market.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 PM

Another vote for B&W. Do a search on Ebay. That is where I found mine.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 PM

Ok so I think B&W is a good brand from what you guys said.

Y-knot here is what I read on another board:

"Most every one of those with disappearing ***** have expereinced breaking, slack and other problems with them. There have been at least two recalls on the fold over type and there is currently a warning out concerning breaking when under load. Naturally, this is after some amount of use. The question is are you willing to take the risk of losing your trailer over the abilty to hide the ball."

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...msg/413791.cfm

So where in Dallas can you get a good deal on this setup? The less expensive the better for myself.

Thanks for all the input.

-CM
Old 11-04-2003, 10:38 PM

What is up ynot?? The goose hitch I have has seen so much use it has had 4 different ***** wear out in it!!! Who are you to say what one guy can do and use, I could duplicate your B&W with my torch and welder if need be!! Let the one asking the question sort out the advice unless it is so damaging or dangerous,then speak up, Thanks Rick
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 AM

My truck came with a honkin channel welded across the frameand a approx. 2.5" hole in the sheetmetal with a ball threaded into a nut welded on the backside of the channel. Unscrew the ball = flat bed. It's hella stout, but I'm sure the bed had to come off to do it.

So yes...there are options. This one prolly took a day including beers and under $100 including the ball.

I've never used it...just unscrewed the ball to mount my camper.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:34 AM

Whats the opinion on goosenecks with exended pin boxes??

I have a 5'er with an extended pin box, would like a goose neck, just not sure if the two can work together? About 1000 lb pin weight, 6000 lb pull weight. Thanks, Kevin
Old 11-05-2003, 08:48 AM

Hey kd,I changed my fithwheel to a goose set up,There is actually a adapter to bolt to your fith wheel that is available but it is pricey,if memory serves it was around 450$,I went to local trailer mfg. and bought a new goose hitch that is adjustable and cut it down and made my own,My wilderness 28ft has the extended pin and it was not problem. My neighbor has had his converted for over 10 yrs. mine just 2 yrs,and no problems yet.If you want the mfg of the adapter I was talking about I can get it to you,But again it was high, Goodluck Rick

Quick Reply: Gooseneck hitches