4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Exhaust and keeping warranty, how'd you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust and keeping warranty, how'd you do it?

I was under my truck the other day installing step bars and noticed that they tack welded the nuts to the studs on the exhaust joints. I don't want to grind them off to do the deletes in case there is a reason I need to take it in for warranty, so how'd you guys do it? Also is the H&S easy to install and uninstall in case i need to take the truck in for warranty? I really want to do a programmer and deletes but don't want to have to loose an expensive warranty claim.

Brent
Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
My 08 wasnt tacked up. Didnt notice if my '11 was or not.

Ill have to check.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My 11' Did Not Have tack welds! OBTW, the retard mechanic that works on everything from grandmas Plymouth Breeze to a Dodge Caravan will have no idea.

No offense professional mechanics but lets keep it REAL. There is absolutely no requirement to verify "Tack Welds" prior to honoring emissions related warranty work.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 AM

The bottom line is when you put on a chip or programmer and delete the emissions stuff they can and will sometimes void your entire warranty. It has been done many times over the years. It all depends on your local service department.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wshamby01
The bottom line is when you put on a chip or programmer and delete the emissions stuff they can and will sometimes void your entire warranty. It has been done many times over the years. It all depends on your local service department.
Perfect explanation. Its a crap shoot.

Just went and looked at my '11

The filter bolts are definitely NOT tacked. Not sure who did yours, but that is not stock. Someone messed with it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought that if you wanted to play, one needs to be prepared to pay. At least that's the honest approach.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ssandlin
I always thought that if you wanted to play, one needs to be prepared to pay. At least that's the honest approach.
I would agree if you fry a tranny or motor from running on max power all the time. That is about all your stressing over stock but they tried to deny my leaking stearing box and failing power steering pump on my chip that had been on all of 3 weeks and about 1000 miles. Truck only had 19k on it. . The big 3 opperate on such thin margins they will do anything to deny a claim since they don't build quality any more.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Figures I had to get the only one that they welded the nuts onto the studs haha. I'll have to take some pics to prove it. the filter and the cat nuts are tacked. will the whole cat and filter unit come down if I just do a turbo back exhaust?

Brent
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fanged03
Figures I had to get the only one that they welded the nuts onto the studs haha. I'll have to take some pics to prove it. the filter and the cat nuts are tacked. will the whole cat and filter unit come down if I just do a turbo back exhaust?

Brent
Yes, the entire unit will come off together, that's how I did mine, remove the tail pipe, muffler and the trans crossmember, and the exhaust band on the turbo and unplug all the sensors and both filters and cats come down as 1 unit. But you might need help, they are pretty heavy!!
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfreak21
I would agree if you fry a tranny or motor from running on max power all the time. That is about all your stressing over stock but they tried to deny my leaking stearing box and failing power steering pump on my chip that had been on all of 3 weeks and about 1000 miles. Truck only had 19k on it. . The big 3 opperate on such thin margins they will do anything to deny a claim since they don't build quality any more.
That ain't right either.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
My 11' Did Not Have tack welds! OBTW, the retard mechanic that works on everything from grandmas Plymouth Breeze to a Dodge Caravan will have no idea.

No offense professional mechanics but lets keep it REAL. There is absolutely no requirement to verify "Tack Welds" prior to honoring emissions related warranty work.
HAHAHAHAHA