4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, so I just read this entire thread and have come to the conclusion that I need the following items for my new 2012...

- Either the H&S XRT Pro or H&S Black Maxx

- Either the H&S EGR Delete Kit or H&S EGR / Cooler Delete Kit (I don't know what the cooler is or the benefit of deleting it) - But this is optional, right? I can leave the EGR/Cooler in place if I want?

- Downpipe and delete pipe. Any recommendations here? I'm okay with utilizing the factory muffler since it's straight through and since I already have a nice 5" chrome tip on the back courtesy of Mopar, so I'm thinking I can just get a downpipe and delete pipe and save some money.

Questions:

1. All of this will give me more HP, more torque and better fuel mileage. Yes?

2. Since I'm doing this should I also change the air intake?

3. Do the 4th gen turbos have silencer rings that can be removed like my 3rd gen did?

4. How does all of this affect the exhaust brake? I've never had an exhaust brake before this truck and I'm not sure where it's located in the line or how it works.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
Okay, so I just read this entire thread and have come to the conclusion that I need the following items for my new 2012...

- Either the H&S XRT Pro or H&S Black Maxx

The BlackMaxx hasnt been available for some time. I believe they had issues with the screen manufacturer, so a used one is the only option right now. The MiniMaxx has the same tuning options, just a bit smaller screen.

- Either the H&S EGR Delete Kit or H&S EGR / Cooler Delete Kit (I don't know what the cooler is or the benefit of deleting it) - But this is optional, right? I can leave the EGR/Cooler in place if I want?

The cooler delete cleans up a ton of room in the engine bay. It also is a preventative measure for it the cooler would happen to crack, no hydrolocking. Not a common issue, but, the delete is cheap so.......

- Downpipe and delete pipe. Any recommendations here? I'm okay with utilizing the factory muffler since it's straight through and since I already have a nice 5" chrome tip on the back courtesy of Mopar, so I'm thinking I can just get a downpipe and delete pipe and save some money.

4" into the stock muffler would be a nice setup with a decent tone, although rather quiet, and no drone.

Questions:

1. All of this will give me more HP, more torque and better fuel mileage. Yes?

Yes, Yes, and Yes

2. Since I'm doing this should I also change the air intake?

Unless you are looking for a lil more whistle out of the turbo, Id leave it alone. The stock box flows rather well, and will move more than enough air for the mods you have in mind. A good drop in filter would be the way to go.

3. Do the 4th gen turbos have silencer rings that can be removed like my 3rd gen did?

They do have a silencer ring, but, its riveted in and require a little work to remove it. Its also thought that removal is not wise, because it seems as if its integral to airflow into the turbo. No definitive answer for yeah or nah.

4. How does all of this affect the exhaust brake? I've never had an exhaust brake before this truck and I'm not sure where it's located in the line or how it works.

Exhaust brake will be affected. It will function just as good as stock, but not have any issues with sooting up. Run that thing each and every time you get in the truck to keep the slider nozzle working and prevent any sticking issues. The exhaust brake is built right into the turbo and it uses a sliding nozzle system along with actually adjusting the pitch of the vanes for braking functions. More in depth explanation here

Okie Dokie MR Hoss. Hope that helped.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM

That helps a lot! Thanks!!

One more questions...

4" into the stock muffler would be a nice setup with a decent tone, although rather quiet, and no drone.
Any specific recommendations on who the good manufacturers are for a downpipe and delete pipe? I had an MBRP on my 3rd Gen but it appears they now only sale DPF back systems.

You say "rather quiet". With the stock muffler being a straight through design does it really do that much muffling? I don't want it to be crazy loud, but I do want to hear it.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
That helps a lot! Thanks!!

One more questions...

Any specific recommendations on who the good manufacturers are for a downpipe and delete pipe? I had an MBRP on my 3rd Gen but it appears they now only sale DPF back systems.

You say "rather quiet". With the stock muffler being a straight through design does it really do that much muffling? I don't want it to be crazy loud, but I do want to hear it.
FloPro or Diamond Eye make good stuff. Not as good as MBRP, but quality enough for me to run it.

I had my 08 set up that way, down pipe and delete pipe into the factory muffler. You could barely hear it in the cab, and it was just loud enough outside the cab to know it was deleted. The VGT really cuts down on the sound. My truck, with the 2nd gen mani and the S467 is scare small children loud. But sounds soooooooo good I cant bring myself to muffle it.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM

So, since it appears you're the resident expert, I was just browsing the DPR Online Store (which I sort of forgot about) and came across the H&S Turbo Back 5" DPF Delete with No Muffler.

Two questions:

1) How loud do you suppose that would be both inside and outside of the truck? I want it to sound good but I don't want it to be obnoxious.

2) Is the outlet on the turbo a 5" outlet? I assumed it was 4" like my 3rd Gen was. And if it is 4" does it really benefit anything to go a 5" system?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM

The 5" sounds really good, its deeper than the 4" and makes the 6.7 sound, well, mean.

I find even with the 5" its not as loud as a CR 5.9 is with a straight pipe. However, when I had the full 5" on mine, before the 2nd gen mani swap, I had bad drone at around 2200 rpms. Depending on the gear ratio/tires etc setup you have this may not be much of an issue, but with my truck, 70mph on the interstate would make you want to beat your head on the steering wheel and jump out of the window.

The outlet is a 4", general consensus is a 5" exhaust is not NEEDED until you get above 600hp or so. Most do it just for the sound.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 AM

Okay. Thanks for the info. I'll probably start with the economy version and just get a 4" downpipe and delete pipe and keep the factory muffler and tailpipe in place. If that doesn't give me what I'm looking for then I'll look at replacing the entire system.

Do you (or anyone) know if our factory exhaust is stainless or aluminized? I'm assuming it's 4" aluminized. If so I don't want to get a SS delete pipe and have dissimilar metals problems.

Thanks for the help. Didn't realize I'd be so full of questions.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 AM

Pretty sure the factory system is aluminized. You could always start with the setup into the factory muffler, then delete the factory muffler for more. And if that dont get you what your looking for, sell the 4" stuff for 5"

Hang on to the factory stuff though, its ludicrously expensive to replace.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Good point on hanging onto the factory stuff. I intend to do that, but I certainly appreciate the reminder.

Wife: Why do you have a bunch of spare parts from your truck laying in the garage?

Hoss: In case I need to make my truck legal again.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting a 2012. Whats the deal with deletes and blown headgaskets? Seems like alot of guys have that problem once they delete?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ra'am
Thinking of getting a 2012. Whats the deal with deletes and blown headgaskets? Seems like alot of guys have that problem once they delete?
Its easy to get carried away once deleted. A smart sense of judgement and a conservative right foot go a long way.

Mind heat cycles and dont run it like you are trying to kill it, and you would more than likely have no issues.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

Any good vendor recommendations to buy a Flo-Pro downpipe and DPR delete pipe? I'll probably get the H&S XRT and EGR/Cooler deleted kit from the DPR store, but they (we?) don't have Flo-Pro.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:00 PM

What ever it is that Top cant get ya, the 2nd choice, hands down, is Rollin Smoke Diesel.

www.rollinsmokediesel.com

And give top a holler, or PM him, lot of stuff that he has that isnt listed on the store.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I was just looking at their website. They have the downpipe and dpf delete pipe for $170. Seems pretty fair.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

James has great prices, great service, and ships pretty dang quick too.

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11