4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Timb320
By the Second Cat you mean the NOX filter?
This might explain it a bit for you:

But, yes SOHappy is referring to the NOx, the one right before the DPF.

Do not under any circumstances run a tune with the emissions stuff disabled unless you have removed at the very least the DPF. There is no way around that. If you are worried about warranty, then just get a DPF delete pipe and be done with it, but, in my experience (just from removing my own system), I think it would be easier deleting both the DPF and NOx filters than just the DPF.

No experience with other tuners, but with the Black Maxx or Mini Maxx, it is time consuming reprogramming the truck every time it needs to be updated. With those tuners, there is no way to turn the emissions stuff on and off as you please without having to reprogram with the DPF REMOVED or DPF INSTALLED.

As far as improving your MPG: If you leave the DPF on and run with the emissions disabled, you will tank your MPG and possibly risk other damage (DPF will clog). Before my deletes, there was no predictable pattern when the truck would go into REGEN. Adding a tuner=more power=guaranteed play time=DPF filling up pretty quick. Most of the time I am well behaved and my MPG (max so far as been 22.7 on the highway) has reflected it, but there are days I hate dealing with Vegas traffic and get to work or home as fast as possible.

I'm telling you though, you will NOT REGRET removing the DPF and NOx filter, especially if you don't have to have an emissions check done for 5 years and also reap the benefits of keeping your engine cleaner--I think the 2012's have DEF so that may not factor as much as like the 2010s when the REGEN involved raw diesel, thus contaminating the oil.

Keep the forum posted on what you end up doing and if you like the outcome!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Will Do. I already ordered the DPF Delete Tupe without buns today. The plan is to order the programmer around the 1st of Sept and get it done shortly thereafter.

BTW, nobody answered my question regarding which Smarty Jr. Programmer I should get - "Looking at the MADS site they have both the Smarty j-67 ($495) and the S-67($695)," Which one do I need that will allow me to disable the (BlueTech) Emissions? (for that matter which site should I get it from?) as there are several MADs sites..

Example: http://www.madselectronics.com/Smarty67.html

Need to make sure I order the correct one

THanks guys - Can't wait
Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Well I have no experience with either programmers except when I bought my truck from a dealer in Northern Idaho, the guys recommended that I get the Smarty Jr and a DPF delete pipe--the S-67 has more features but both should give you the option to disable with the CaTCHER software if I remember correctly.

Hopefully someone will chime in soon and provide their thoughts. If you have the money, why not look at the ones from H&S? The only reason I say that is unless you plan on getting analog gauges, you will want something to constantly monitor your EGTs and maybe even your rail pressure, because once you start playing, its hard to stop upgrading.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian suppliers

I'm considering doing a cali delete on my 2012 3500. it has 6000 kms on it. In Ontario a new vehicle doesn't need an 'E' test for the first 5 years.
From what I've read i will be pulling the nox and dpf canisters off and leaving under hood equipment in place and running a tuner.
my questions are; which tuner for stock power? and is there a supplier in Canada for the exhaust pipe and tuner?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Either the Smarty Jr or the H&S XRT Pro will suit you fine if you want no gauges/analog gauges. If you want an all in one gauge/tuner combo, H&S MiniMaxx for sure.

Get a hold of Lary Ellis (Top). Im sure he can ship north of the border for you.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Just ordered the XRT pro and bungless pipe from the online store. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM

Glad to help!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 AM

Just installed DPF delete pipe and XRT PRO. So much better performance and mileage shot up in first thirty minutes of driving. Now to tinker with settings to get the best MPG and settings for towing. Eventually full delete of EPA junk and get the transmission programming. Dang that stuff was not lite to remove!! Thanks for the simple easy to use directions!!

2010 Ram 2500 Crew cab s/b 4x4
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 AM

ctnv

Where can I get this done as I don't want to do it myself. I live in Laughlin NV. I would want it done completely and would want to keep the programmer (tuner) that can change all of the parameters around the change. 2007.5 6.7 automatic sooter.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 PM

Hi guys, Great thread but unfortunately I'm about as confused as a baby in a topless bar after reading what to connect and disconnect.
That said, I just got a 2012 2500 Crew Cab with the 6.7 and 6 speed auto 4X4. Would there be any advantage to just getting the Smarty S-67 and not mess with any of the stock stuff on there as I do not want to void any of my warranty. I haven't gotten to know any of the techs or service manager at the dealer and to be honest I don't really know if I want to. I don't think they have the best techs or reputation either so I'm kind of winging it here.
If just the tuner will give me any mileage and or performance benifits without risking voiding the warranty then I'd like to give it a try but that's a lot of scratch to shell out for little to no benifit if I would risk loosing my warranty.
I live out in the boonies of Southeast New Mexico and there is no emissions testing in my area. All the diesel pickup guys around here seem to have done major stuff as all you see here is black smoke. I haven't really had the truck long enough ( two weeks this coming Saturday ) to get to know anyone who know's what they are doing to ask many questions. I do know that I'd like to see the mileage go up and a little extra play power wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.
I'm a sick puppy once I get started. Just ask any of my Harleys that were once stock. Got one now that's fixin to get some pretty radical improvements.
Now ask me Harley performance mod questions and I'm good to go there. This diesel thing has my mind in a fog. LOL Thanks in advance for any and all input. Jim aka Spidey, Spider, Spiderman or anything else but late for supper.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerJim44
Would there be any advantage to just getting the Smarty S-67 and not mess with any of the stock stuff on there as I do not want to void any of my warranty. ...
If just the tuner will give me any mileage and or performance benifits without risking voiding the warranty then I'd like to give it a try but that's a lot of scratch to shell out for little to no benifit if I would risk loosing my warranty....
It's safe assume that the tuner WILL void your powertrain warranty. Various dealers may work with you, but replacing the major items (e.g. engine, transmission) require approval from Chrysler, and they will know you have had a tune the moment they connect the scanner tool, even if you reload it back to stock.

My opinion is that if you don't have the $$ to be your own warranty station (i.e. you have a monthly payment on the truck) then it's probably better not to risk it. They're great trucks, even stock.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
It's safe assume that the tuner WILL void your powertrain warranty. Various dealers may work with you, but replacing the major items (e.g. engine, transmission) require approval from Chrysler, and they will know you have had a tune the moment they connect the scanner tool, even if you reload it back to stock.

My opinion is that if you don't have the $$ to be your own warranty station (i.e. you have a monthly payment on the truck) then it's probably better not to risk it. They're great trucks, even stock.
I hear you. That's kind of what I was thinking too. Oh yeah, I got lots of them monthly payments. In fact the bank owns this one 100% until the 20th of next month then I'll be a 1/60th owner. LOL
With the quality of the mechainics at the local dealers I don't think I have a whole lot to worry about with warranty but again it's all what Chrysler says as they are the ones calling the shots.
So I have read a little, well quite a bit about the Smarty as well as some others and I don't see where any of them don't leave a footprint on the ECM/U whatever it is today. LOL. If they had one that wouldn't leave a footprint and you could just go back to factory default then it may be a consideration. Since I still have 99,498 miles and 5 years of warranty left on this thing I guess I better just be happy with what I have. My thing that I'm mostly looking for is a little better mileage. I haven't had a chance to get it out for a good long run yet though, just back and forth to work and that's only 27.6 miles each way so she's probably not even warmed up yet by the time I get to work and back home again. Thinking about a run to El Paso in a week or two to see my sis and her family. I'll be able to get it out and stretch it's legs a little and see how she does on a good little run.
Do any of y'all recommend any fuel additives like Lucas or Marvel Mystery Oil or any such thing to help lube the injectors and top end? I've lived, eaten and breathed MMO and always had really good luck with it. Again I don't want to put anything in there that will harm the engine or void the warranty.
Thanks again so much for the help. Jim.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Maybe some of these "oil threads" could be moved by admin, I cringe when I see an otherwise excellent sticky gets hijacked.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Maybe some of these "oil threads" could be moved by admin, I cringe when I see an otherwise excellent sticky gets hijacked.
What oil threads.....

Old 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Sorry folks...i should have did that from the get go. Thank you Blake for moving it, thanks SOhappy for recommending it.:beer: :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Deleting the 6.7: A guide to making it run right! (4th Gen Section) UPDATED 6-6-11