4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confused

morning guys,

i am looking at buying either a new crew cab or slightly used 2011.
i have been reading lots on here about all the deletes and programmers,
and the more i read the more confused i get.
i am not very mechanically inclined. so a few questions.
is there a programmer/tuner out there where you do not have to
do any engine/exhaust mods?
if engine/exhaust mods are unavoidable what is the best tuner/programmer available? and do you need delete kits with them?
i know there will be differing opinions on this,
just would like feedback on a few pros/cons

i do not know very much about the diesel engine
what the difference between dpf delete and egr delete kits?

so much to learn so little time;lol
thanks for your help guys

another open ended opinion question, what would be the best
cold air intake system to put on? pros/cons of each?

Last edited by rigstar; 04-17-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: forgot a question
Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by rigstar
morning guys,

i am looking at buying either a new crew cab or slightly used 2011.
i have been reading lots on here about all the deletes and programmers,
and the more i read the more confused i get.
i am not very mechanically inclined. so a few questions.
if engine/exhaust mods are unavoidable what is the best tuner/programmer available? and do you need delete kits with them?
i know there will be differing opinions on this,
just would like feedback on a few pros/cons

i do not know very much about the diesel engine

so much to learn so little time;lol
thanks for your help guys

1) Is there a programmer/tuner out there where you do not have to do any engine/exhaust mods? Yes H&S Bully Dog Smarty on early modles
2) If engine/exhaust mods are unavoidable what is the best tuner/programmer available? I would go with the H&S Mini-Max and do the deletes; It will make your Cummins a lot more happy.
3) DPF is your Exhaust You have a Down pipe and DPF and Cat,
4) EGR your intake horn can be removed or caped off
5) I like S&B Intakes are they needed NO unless you are going for big power or just want to have one
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Would adding a cold air intake and the H&S tuner without the removal of the DPF and EGR provide any upgrades in power and fuel economy?

If the addition of the tuner and intake could be justified, would that combination cause any unforeseen problems to the engine?

thanks
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM

I have a 12 that's about a month old. I was going to wait for my warranty to expire or at least wait for my drivetrain to get broken in, but the BS with H&S and EPA bumped up my time line.

Based on advice from this forum I went with the Mini Maxx and MBRP DPF/NOX delete pipe. The only hardware I removd from my truck was DPF and NOX filters.

The job was plug-and-play, no issues at all. The truck runs like it should now. I have the Mini Maxx set on 2 for timing running the factory Hot tune with defuel at 34psi. Overhead MM mount on the way.

I got the kit on eBay for $1,000.

FYI, I've read the intake will support 450hp in its stock form so I don't think there is any benifit to an aftermarket right now.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:10 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take the bottom portion of your factory intake out from your truck. Take a dremel tool and carve the entire bottom out of it.

It is good for 550hp!!! I know for a fact, HAHAHA.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rigstar
morning guys,

if engine/exhaust mods are unavoidable what is the best tuner/programmer available?

and do you need delete kits with them?

1) If you can still find them, the H&S XRT Pro and Mini Maxx will let you upgrade without doing exhaust mods. You don't get the same gains, but I suppose it's better than nothing. I suspect others are similar.

2) Hard to say what the "best" is. That's really a matter of opinion. And with a lot of them currently out of production due to the EPA it may be hard to find one.

3) There are basically three different "levels" of deleting the DPF. The simplest and cheapest is a DPF delete pipe. It replaces the middle section of your exhaust where the NOX and DPF filter are located. It's a simple bolt in installation, but you have to have a tuner like the XRT Pro or something similar to avoid codes. A slightly more expensive and better option is to get a 4" DPF delete pipe and downpipe. This gets rid of your DPF as well as the cat but keeps the stock muffler and tail pipe. Again, you must have a programmer (any exhaust mod will require a programmer). The third and most expensive option is a complete exhaust system. Personally, since the factory muffler offers little restriction at all, I think this is wasted money unless you decide you want a 5" turbo back system (which hardly anyone has enough horsepower to actually need).

4) The EGR delete is under the hood and, at least with the H&S tuners, is optional. I bought and EGR/cooler delete kit when I bought my H&S XRT and deleted my cat and DPF, but I don't intend to actually do the delete until I'm out of my warranty period. My warranty may already be void anyway with the mods I've done, but one way to void it for sure is to start pulling factory parts off of the engine. With the H&S tuners you don't really gain anything from doing the EGR/cooler delete. Those systems are bypassed anyway. Removing them is pretty much just for aesthetics.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
1) If you can still find them, the H&S XRT Pro and Mini Maxx will let you upgrade without doing exhaust mods. You don't get the same gains, but I suppose it's better than nothing. I suspect others are similar.
Thanks Hoss, the reason I was wondering about the tuner without the delete of the dpf is like many, I still have a warranty I would like to keep in tact for the time being (that may change soon). I would like to see an upgrade to my mpg and was thinking an aftermarket cold air intake and a tuner could help without having to remove the dpf at the time being. If anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM

I can't speak for everyone else, but I didn't see significant mpg gains when I did mine. I was getting 11-12 mpg and now get 13-14 mpg, so there was some but I still get lousy mileage compared to my 03 that averages 20-21 mpg. My truck doesn't even have 2000 miles on it yet though, so I suppose it could still get a little better.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM

To be fair though, I changed to 35's the same day I installed the XRT so that undoubtedly took away some of the mileage gain I would have seen.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jagsfan811
Would adding a cold air intake and the H&S tuner without the removal of the DPF and EGR provide any upgrades in power and fuel economy?

If the addition of the tuner and intake could be justified, would that combination cause any unforeseen problems to the engine?

thanks
Once you put a tuner on it your in the same spot warranty wise as people who dump the dpf. If you're going to use a tuner then definately remove the dpf and nox!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by dmurdock
Once you put a tuner on it your in the same spot warranty wise as people who dump the dpf. If you're going to use a tuner then definately remove the dpf and nox!
Good to know! thank you. I guess the only hesitations I have are whether I would pass emissions, I am from CT and the likelihood I need a repair that would normally be covered by the warranty.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:40 PM

i'm from ct too...and i am considering buying a 12 dually. i think if the truck is over 10,000 GVW..its emissions excempt...correct?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by gsxr-rider137
i'm from ct too...and i am considering buying a 12 dually. i think if the truck is over 10,000 GVW..its emissions excempt...correct?
Yes, I believe that is correct.