3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Confused about oil . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about oil . . . . .

Took &quot;Smoke&quot; into the dealership this morning for her first oil change (372 miles ). Two hours latter got a bil for $43. Not bad until I looked at the service order and it said they put in 10W30 from the all purpose bulk drum in the back . I said wrong and told them it had to be CI-4 rated 15W40. They said wrong, service manual calls for &quot;normal&quot; 10w30 . After I showed them the owners manual they said they don't even stock 15W40 but they agreed to go to the local auto parts store and get Shell Rottela-T and change it and the filter again but they insisted they had used the other oil in all vehicles (cars, trucks, gas, diesel) for years with no problems. I called DC CS and they gave me a half-harted answer that 10w30 was preferred for non-towing ??? and they would send out an update to the Owners Manual. What is going on ??? Does anyone know what the real story is ??? Did I just screw up my new truck ??? Thanks for any help in setting me straight.<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>
Old 12-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

Re:Confused about oil . . . . .

you where correct ;D that ******* was a joke...even jiffy lube knows what oil to put into a diesel :P

The API (American Petroleum Institute) “donut” rating for both oils is CD. Note the first letter “C” stands for compression engine (a diesel). The “D” is the specification test the oil was tested at and was able to pass. The “D” specification was developed in 1952.
CD, CH, and now the CG-4 oils are set up with each version getting better with the minimizing the ash along with keeping the crankcase film free. With the older versions of oils you would build up with a thin varnish inside the engine. The latest version of CG-4 is the latest and greatest of keeping the engine clean
Old 12-20-2002, 11:59 AM

That dealer needs their head examined. We buy Bulk 15w40 from mopar for all the diesels O,L&amp;F's.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:27 PM

Boss<br><br>You just saw another reason that your dealer has lost his Five Star rating. Go to another dealer<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-20-2002, 01:28 PM

Actually I am going to do this. Bring my own Chevron Delo and Fleetguard filter in to them, let them do the dirty work and wash and vacuum her and I drive away knowing I got the correct product. ;D<br><br>Hunter
Old 12-20-2002, 04:07 PM

Thanks guys ;D After reading the owners manual and the info I have gotten from this forum, I was very sure I was right. I find it hard to believe they have done that to all of their other diesel customers and not one complained ??? <br> Luke, I was hoping you would respond. I feel a lot better now. And Hunter, I definately will be finding a new dealer!<br> BTW, I had the oil changed because Doris and I are driving to Canada to be with her family over the holidays. We are leaving tomorrow morning. I will let you guys know how &quot;Smoke&quot; did when we get back.<br> Thanks again and Merry Christmas to all!!<br><br>Mr. and Mrs Boss Hog (aka Tom and Doris)<br><br>
Old 12-20-2002, 04:15 PM

Well Boss I'd say you could come up here to our dealership for an oil change but you'd need another by the time you got back
Old 12-20-2002, 04:28 PM

Man, Boss, you are going the wrong direction this time of year! Where to in Canada?
Old 12-20-2002, 04:42 PM

Luke, Next time we head to Colorado you can bet we will stop at your place if only just to say Hi <br><br>Dealseaker, we are headed to Montreal and yes, I am anticipating some comments on our Florida license plates ;D <br><br>The Frozen Hog
Old 12-20-2002, 05:03 PM

Boss<br><br>Just remember this! When you get on ice or snow, pull the little lever back that says 4x4.<br><br>These things have so much torque that you will lose it before Doris can say &quot;Tom!&quot;<br><br>Especially if you are not used to driving on ice or snow. We don't get a lot of it here, but everyone that drives on it has the same complaint. Driving along in two wheel drive and touch the throttle and she is gone!<br><br>They all just say &quot;put her in 4x4 and put the petal to the metal&quot; now, no problems!<br><br>Have a great trip and a wonderful Christmas season!<br><br>Hunter