4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Black Maxx Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you flip the little switch on the OBD2 adapter? That module is a little sub-par. As long as the HDMI cable is making a connection, the OBD2 adapter was designed to allow the programmer to power up and upload the data to the ECM for those that only want to do a temporary install. It really isn't clear which way to flip the switch though.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep. I tried both directions.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, that isn't good. Have you called H&S yet? They should still be open. Just a couple hours from me.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:54 PM

I called my dealer and explained what was happening, but he's now closed. I missed UPS with H&S so now I'm down until Wed.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Ahhh...I'm missing the fuse jack.

Won't run from the OBD2 as power either. Hooked directly to the computer the little gem does boot up. So I've either got a bad OBD2 Modual or HDMI cable. Since the power plug won't go all the way into the modual, my money is that it is the issue.

Anybody have an Idea how far I can drive before limp mode starts - no DPF, no EGR?
That's too bad you are missing the part, I haven't seen them before but they must exist at auto parts stores. H&S instructions say not to drive more than 25 miles with DPF removed. The gauges are hard to read in bright sunlight but there is a white background with black numbers that works better for daylight and my son says he uses red for night that automatically changes with lights on or off. I seem to remember the power cord plug doesn't go all the way into the adapter, sicks out about 1/8 inch.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks Busboy. I did find a fuse doubler I had in my "odds and ends" dawer - I have no idea where it came from, but Iguess its the advantage of being a hardware packrat.

The OBD2 modual is a different issue, not a "off the shelf" item. At least not around here.

I was using a Smarty Jr for a few days. I should have held off on selling it a few days. I could have just slipped it back in, but I shipped it out as soon as I got the H&S in UPS.

A couple hours sooner and H&S would have gotten it out to me overnight. Nice thought, I should have called them sooner I guess.

Now I've got to decide if I should keep on working on the deletes or wait until the parts get here. I hate to sit around all weekend when I could be having fun wrenching. All the EGR stuff is unplugged already so I'm not sure if working on will really matter.

BTW, I'm planning to drill and tap the EGR block off plate (on the intake) for a boost gauge tap. Is this a good place to get good readings?

Where do you all mount the little box that the pyro probe attaches to? There's not a lot of "firewall" to use under there.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
On the second truck I tapped the rear egr cooler block off plate. I drilled and tapped it on the bench before installing the plate. It was much easier to do it there and it keeps the turbo clean. It does however only read #6 cylinder where the first truck I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold just before the turbo but it was very difficult for access. I used Velcro to attach the EGT box to the little bit of white firewall over on the drivers side and the braided wires fit nicely tucked up into the wire loom over to the rear block off plate.

I just had a thought about your mini maxx, I believe it says not to hook the head to the computer only the card in the USB card holder. I wonder if it down loaded to your computer and is now locked to it. You might try hooking back up to your computer and "returning to stock", just a thought.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 PM

I'm using the sinister EGR kit and it has the blockoff for the manifold (right over #6) tapped and drilled for the pyro. So I'm good on that on. I thought about buying a second thermocouple and tapping the blockoff over #1 - just to get a contrasting read out.

Since I havn't decided to take the leap with a new intake horn, I'll just plate over the opening left by the EGR. The kit came with a nice plate for it. Kind of a shame to drill it for a gauge but I don't think theres any other choice that I see.

I don't know about the head downloading to the computer, there were no promts on the head or the computer. It was just pluged in long enought to verify that it lit up. That was a lot ore than its doing on my truck - its just black.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:34 AM

Sorry about the hijack guys, it really did'nt start that way.