4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Black Maxx Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Black Maxx Install

Any thoughts about the power wire for the Black Maxx?

I ran mine to the fuse box per the instructions, but I also wasn't about to start cutting the box so the wire sits flush, however, it is pinched with the cover closed and would like your thoughts on an alternative location or what you did with the box.

For those that installed the Black Maxx or Mini Maxx (I'm assuming the power wire is ran the same, not sure about the XRT), where did you run the power wire too if it wasn't to the fuse box?

I have thought about drilling a small hole in fuse box and using a grommet, but still, it goes back to the fact that I really don't want to modify the box if there are better alternatives or maybe a place on the box that I'm not seeing to run the wire through.

Thanks ahead of time for your ideas and suggestions.

Also, for those looking for a place to install their Black Maxx, I located mine centered below the HVAC *****. I found that was the best location for me and allowed a nice clean install. If you pull out the rubber tray (for those that have the same console) there is a notch in the back that the power/data wire fits perfectly through. I removed the kick panel down by the right leg and used a rigid wire to grab the cable and pull it through to plug in at the OBDii port.

I posted a picture on another thread about the deletes I had done. Click the following link to see it or see it in My Photo Gallery https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=296949.

Last edited by 6.7L MegaCab; 11-04-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just took a Dremel and carved a "U" out of the fuse box so that the wire was not getting pinched. Worked like a champ. I also recommend you get a better fuse adapter for the power wire. They sell them at Radio Shack for like a buck. It sits onder the fuse a little better than the one that came with the tuner. Hopefully this helps.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here, small "U" and put calk or grease there to keep out crap.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Sounds like the dremel it is. Thanks for tips!
Old 11-18-2011, 09:29 PM

Lightbulb Power Wire Location

Decided to work the power wire issue tonight. I found a small grommet in my box that would have worked perfected. Right as I was about to get the drill after deciding where to drill at, I noticed a foam barrier just behind the main power wire. Instead of drilling the hole as planned, I used my test light to poke a hole in the foam and put the wire there. Could not have been a better location!

The lid closes perfectly, the wire doesn't get pinched, and most importantly achieved my objective of not drilling any holes!

Last edited by 6.7L MegaCab; 11-18-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Fixed image link
Old 11-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Sweet!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Thank you! Just another idea for those trying to figure out what to do with that power wire.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Looks like a good spot to run the wire through. That will come in handy when I put my black maxx in next week.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by 6speedcowboy
Looks like a good spot to run the wire through. That will come in handy when I put my black maxx in next week.
Are you doing the pyro too? If so, I'm curious on how you will run the comm wire. I ended up putting mine through a grommet near where the drivers door opens up near the fender. I couldn't squeeze it through any other grommet. I forgot about my small stash of grommets until I did this power wire or else I would have just drilled a hole and went that route instead. Oh well!

Better yet, H&S should use a 4 conductor 3.5mm plug for the wire and the jack for the OBDii adapter similar to the custom communication wire I made for my Garmin 76CSx (pictured below). It would make pushing that cable through the grommets already in place on the truck so much easier. Better yet, they could even put the jack on both the PCH board and OBDii adapter and use readily available stereo cables and allow the customer to choose the length they need or buy it at a local store or buy a replacement wire (should theirs get mutilated). Another option is to create a 3 or 4" pigtail to utilize the micro or mini USB jack (can't remember which) already in place and put a 3.5mm jack on the end. (H&S Let's talk)

Old 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Yeah I'm doing the pyro too. Just ordered everything friday so I haven't seen it yet. Should have it here tomorrow hopefully
Old 11-24-2011, 04:17 AM

Got my black maxx installed tonight. Ended up cutting a tiny slit in the main harness boot(s) to run the wires through
Old 11-24-2011, 03:33 PM

Awesome! Didn't even think of doing that. Would have made it much easier.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM

Hi Guys, I know this is an older thread, But I'm a little behind you. I've got the wire into the box and know to use fuse 33 for my 11, but do you just stick the wire in alongside the fuse, use the furnished spade connectors on and plug it in somewhere? Where does it go? Be nice guys, the instructions are really AWOL on this.

BTW, I can't believe how tiny the H&S is. I'm going to have to order gauges just so that I can read them. The eyes are old.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Larry,

Use the included fuse jack and place it on the dead (ground) side of the fuse. Use a multimeter to ensure it is the ground side. Push the fuse and fuse jack back in. Crimp the 90deg connector on the end of the wire and plug her in. That should be all that you need to do.

Please ensure you use the ground side of the fuse. If you need a picture, let me know and I'll take a better picture than what posted above.

--------
Edit:

The fuse jack should sit over the fuse blade. It will be a little tight pushing it in, so be careful since those jacks are a little weak. You may have to slowly rock it in place.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Ahhh...I'm missing the fuse jack.

Won't run from the OBD2 as power either. Hooked directly to the computer the little gem does boot up. So I've either got a bad OBD2 Modual or HDMI cable. Since the power plug won't go all the way into the modual, my money is that it is the issue.

Anybody have an Idea how far I can drive before limp mode starts - no DPF, no EGR?

Quick Reply: Black Maxx Install