4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Added a fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Added a fuel filter

installed in about 30 minutes. No cutting of fuel lines
I have a 2018 Ram Cummins 2500 and purchased a diesel fuel filter kit from Diesel Fule Filter Kits.
My main reason for getting this is added protection if I got some bad fuel. Here is my thought...IF I got some fuel with some water in it my rear (racor) Mopar water separator filter should alert me rather quickly. Fuel flow is from the tank, to the Racor, To the CAT filter (this is the one I installed), to the Mopar engine filter. I am thinking turn off the engine quickly when the water light comes on. At this point I have the CAT filter in between the two ram factory filters. This is a 2 micron filter with water separation. Water should not pass through this filter and should give me more reaction time. My thoughts. This kit went on super easy. There are several YouTube videos of people installing this kit. It is plug and play. No lines to cut. The BEST Cummins/Duramax CAT Fuel Filter Kit Available NO DROP IN FUEL PRESSURE!!!

Update on my Cat filter addition 6/11/2019, After messing with this addition for a few days I removed the Diesel Fuel Filter Kit from my 2018 Ram. While in theory it may be OK I removed it because 1. It really is not needed, 2. Another point that could cause issues in the future, 3. the cat filter calls for hand tight + 1 full turn. This was extreme on the setup. Everything flexed including the mount. I can see why now on some of the blogs that galling issues surfaced. I do not feel comfortable putting anti-seize on the filter threads. One of the post in this thread said if you ever have the water light come on, pull over, shut the engine down, open the filter pet, and cycle the fuel pump a few time until all water is purged. That will work for me. After purchasing this, installing this, using this for a few days and removing the filter I can neither recommend it or not recommend it. You are going to have to decide for yourself. Thanks for all the feedback. The greater majority of post say it is not necessary with the late model filtering of the ram cummins trucks. I do agree with this.

Last edited by John Jones; 06-09-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you get the water in fuel alert you can just pull over, open the drain valve on the water separator, key on and drain the water separator... But, that's just me...

I could see the installation of the CAT filter permitting removal of the under hood filter...

G&R Diesel sells a similar kit.

Last edited by RD TRCTR; 06-11-2019 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling