4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Which would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
My kid with his 2013 routinely tows a triple goose 21k and often a 24k dually goose although mostly a cargo trailer with 2 7k axles, he told me he was moving hay at the shop with 27k loaded. I know these aren't real heavy but he sent me a pic of him dragging a generator shack on a skid who knows how heavy I guess the Aisin equipped trucks have that little bit more torque and HP. My kid did have a mini maxx deleted 2011 so he's almost comparing apples to apples and apart from the "delay" and traction control issue he says the 2013 is better and maybe a tuner will cure the delay and traction control problems, besides the 2015's are almost here and he's talking of trading for a mega cab.
I drove a 14 mega cab dually with the Aisin with 3.73 gears yesterday. I really don't know what to think power was ok, it was definetly more agressive in downshifting with the exhaust brake on compared to my 12.
What I didn't like is there was a lot of vibration in the cab of the truck, more then any other new truck I have been in. I assume it is coming from the transmission. Normal or not I don't know but It made me like my 12 better.
I called Bully Dog Today, they do have a program for the 14's now
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I drove a 14 mega cab dually with the Aisin with 3.73 gears yesterday. I really don't know what to think power was ok, it was definetly more agressive in downshifting with the exhaust brake on compared to my 12.
What I didn't like is there was a lot of vibration in the cab of the truck, more then any other new truck I have been in. I assume it is coming from the transmission. Normal or not I don't know but It made me like my 12 better.
I called Bully Dog Today, they do have a program for the 14's now
Thanks for the info on the Bully Dog but I think we'll wait for the H&S because of the defuel limits that can be set. As for the vibration perhaps because the Mega cab has a longer chassis for 2013/14 it must have a longer or split rear drive shaft, my kid says his 2013 aisin crew cab drives the same as my deleted 2011 crewcab. However after the recent very cold spell where he had left it running for 7 days straight he feels it has partially plugged the intake with carbon and although after a good burn out it improved we are going to pull the intake off for a looksee, if we find lots of carbon then the truck is useless in stock form and the only answer is to delete. I thought I was sold on the DEF but that might not be the case.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM

I have a 12 and love it. Never had a problem starting in the cold and here it is minus 40 ad not always plugged in. I will be deleting it hopefully but so far it is an awesome truck. Lots of power and comfort.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
Thanks for the info on the Bully Dog but I think we'll wait for the H&S because of the defuel limits that can be set. As for the vibration perhaps because the Mega cab has a longer chassis for 2013/14 it must have a longer or split rear drive shaft, my kid says his 2013 aisin crew cab drives the same as my deleted 2011 crewcab. However after the recent very cold spell where he had left it running for 7 days straight he feels it has partially plugged the intake with carbon and although after a good burn out it improved we are going to pull the intake off for a looksee, if we find lots of carbon then the truck is useless in stock form and the only answer is to delete. I thought I was sold on the DEF but that might not be the case.
I thought that on the new 6.7 was getting the egr gas from behind the DPF then bringing it back to the motor.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I thought that on the new 6.7 was getting the egr gas from behind the DPF then bringing it back to the motor.
To be honest I've hardly seen the truck but it's due back as soon as the backwoods bumpers arrive, they are stuck in customs at the border. When we install the bumpers and LED lights I'll take the intake manifold off and also check out what you say to see where it's getting the recirc gas from. A 2014 3500 Laramie 4X4 Aisin crew cab with "free" diesel engine is 84k+ plus tax up here and that's a lot of money to have no warranty if the truck won't idle in the cold without throwing codes like our 2011's.