4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Used 2010 what should I know

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used 2010 what should I know

Well a new to me truck bug is starting to take hold. Might be a year before I get around to it. I have looked at the interiors on the 2010 and like them. They have more room than my 03.

If I get one it will be deleted but I do live in a emissions county so once I delete, can I just slip the DPF back on so it will pass the visual or will the OBDII scan be able to tell I have loaded an H&S or SMARTY ME and turned it off? Also when you turn it off and put a block off plate on the EGR, do you have to do something with that motor control valve or does turning if off in the ECM shut it down? Is deleting that hard to do? I can turn wrenches fairly well.

Stick or automatic? Are these automatics any better? Will they hold up? I will be looking for something with 75k plus on it as it will mostly just be used to tow. But I want a little a extra power. I have driven them and they just aren't as peppy as my 03. Will these automatic tranny's take any extra power and tow or do they have to have several thousand sunk into them as well? I would rather just get a clutch and row gears if that is the case. How is the stick for towning?

Also anyone got one with over 100k yet that can tell me about it? Are the injectors just as prone to failure on these yet?

Sorry for all the questions but I know can get reliable info from you all.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I made the jump from an '03 a couple of months ago and haven't regretted it. Yes, the extra room, nicer interior, more power, exhaust brake, 6-speed auto, etc. (almost) make it worth having a payment again. Saving up for the deletes.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM

Towed with it yet?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have. Freaking beast compared to all the 5.9's I've had. I call it a 5.9 on steroids.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieselhed
I have. Freaking beast compared to all the 5.9's I've had. I call it a 5.9 on steroids.
Ditto, and way more manageable too on the downhills. The integrated trailer brake, exhaust brake and auto downshifting really makes it pleasant- no more white knuckles. Twice the truck my '03 was for towing- really.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfreak21
Well a new to me truck bug is starting to take hold. Might be a year before I get around to it. I have looked at the interiors on the 2010 and like them. They have more room than my 03.

If I get one it will be deleted but I do live in a emissions county so once I delete, can I just slip the DPF back on so it will pass the visual or will the OBDII scan be able to tell I have loaded an H&S or SMARTY ME and turned it off? Also when you turn it off and put a block off plate on the EGR, do you have to do something with that motor control valve or does turning if off in the ECM shut it down? Is deleting that hard to do? I can turn wrenches fairly well.

Stick or automatic? Are these automatics any better? Will they hold up? I will be looking for something with 75k plus on it as it will mostly just be used to tow. But I want a little a extra power. I have driven them and they just aren't as peppy as my 03. Will these automatic tranny's take any extra power and tow or do they have to have several thousand sunk into them as well? I would rather just get a clutch and row gears if that is the case. How is the stick for towning?

Also anyone got one with over 100k yet that can tell me about it? Are the injectors just as prone to failure on these yet?

Sorry for all the questions but I know can get reliable info from you all.
You can turn off the egr with a H&S but removing it and putting it back on is not a fun job

I have a blown head gausket on my 2010 I miss the 5.9 I ran those motors HARD. I tow heavy with my 2010 but no truck pulls, stacked tunes or any of the other fun stuff. Ya my 2010 would only hit very low 30's for boost.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM

don't they have block off plate you can install on both ends? Didn't want to remove it just disable it.

Anyone know how the auto's are holding up?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:20 PM

I keep leaning towards the automatic but don't really want to buy one with high miles and auto since I have done the maintence. Do we know ift hey hold up with out religious maintence?