4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Change Question

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Change Question

I'm sure this has been beat to death but I'm too lazy to search right now.

I'm coming up on my first oil change with the new truck. If I recall, my old 5.9L took exactly three gallons to bring it up to the full line. What do the 6.7L engines take?

Also, what oil is everyone running right now? Is it still 15W-40? I used to use something in a blue bottle, which I think was Delo. Still good?

Thanks for supporting my lazy habits by responding with meaningful answers.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
It takes 12 USqt or 3 US gallons, I use Amsoil Full synthetic oil, depending on the temp range you plan to operate in it says you MUST use 5W40 oil or engine damage will occur, I don't remember the temp but it was not THAT low so I just run the 5W40 synthetic year round. OK I went and looked up the temp range it's 0 F or -18C below that you can't use the 15W40.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Where I will it will never get anywhere close to 0 F. It rarely breaks into the lower 30's.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Everything is the same as your old truck as with the 5.9. Even the filter, filter wrench, pre-filling the filter with new oil, 5 gallon bucket fits the same under the oil pan. You'll never know the difference.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Where I will it will never get anywhere close to 0 F. It rarely breaks into the lower 30's.
While it may never get close to those temps where you live don't you ever drive anywhere cold like a skiing holiday, visit relatives, ice fishing?
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While it may never get close to those temps where you live don't you ever drive anywhere cold like a skiing holiday, visit relatives, ice fishing?
What are these "cold" things you speak of, a skiing holiday is spent at the lake and the only ice fishing I know about is at the local fish market.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate
What are these "cold" things you speak of, a skiing holiday is spent at the lake and the only ice fishing I know about is at the local fish market.
I was beginning to wonder who actually bought the 15W40 oil.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by Busboy
Well, in 36 years of living I never have but I suppose it's always possible.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 AM

I used 15-40 rotella in my 04.5 all the time all year and never had a problem. We used it in our big trucks and heavy equipment too along with farm machinery. I used Blackstone for oil reporting and always had an excellent report. I don't have a clue what the dealer has been using in my new truck. I know its rotella but not sure if they use the 5w-40 or not. I got lazy with this truck and I let them do it. But, I trust them as they aren't a typical dealer.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Well, in 36 years of living I never have but I suppose it's always possible.
I'm up in MD and I remember in the late 70's they were talking mini-Ice Age. I was young than, but I don't remember any 0F temps.. Single digits, yes and we still get them from time to time, but I never remember seeing a negative number...

As for memory, that's a funny thing because I remember, back in the late 70's, walking 10 miles, thru 2 feet of snow, with rags around my feet, to get to school...
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM

I was born in the late 70's. it's possible I walked through 2 feet snow for 10 miles but I certainly don't remember it.

Back to the oil change, I'm actually looking forward to it on this truck. My '03 was a 2WD and it was pretty low in the front. I certainly couldn't have fit a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan. I had to drive it up on ramps just to slide my big ole' self under there. The new one should be easier. To make it even easier I ordered an EZ Drain Valve and tube from Geno's. No more messy hot oil running down my arm when I loosen that plug.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was born in the late 70's. it's possible I walked through 2 feet snow for 10 miles but I certainly don't remember it.

Back to the oil change, I'm actually looking forward to it on this truck. My '03 was a 2WD and it was pretty low in the front. I certainly couldn't have fit a 5 gallon bucket under the oil pan. I had to drive it up on ramps just to slide my big ole' self under there. The new one should be easier. To make it even easier I ordered an EZ Drain Valve and tube from Geno's. No more messy hot oil running down my arm when I loosen that plug.
Come on kid's you don't remember the great Chicago Blizzard of 1967 where Chicago received 23 inches of snow in a 29 hour period. This shut down the entire city and suburbs with 53 mile an hour winds and 10 ft snow drifts.

I would go to Wal-Mart and buy the large oil pan catcher. This will hold over three gallons of oil and will slide under the truck without raising the truck. I cut out the center so the oil will fill the pan faster and not pool on top. I slide under the truck and open up the Fumoto Drain Valve and then go inside and have lunch after a 1/2 hour or so the engine oil is drained from the truck. Refill with 3 gallons of Shell 15W-40 Rotella T oil and a new Fleetgaurd Stratapore filter. I also will grease the front drive shaft at that time along with any grease zerks on the front steering components.

Jim W.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 PM

I got my truck new in oct has 3100 miles on it and oil change due light came on today is this early?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by dragtruck1965
I got my truck new in oct has 3100 miles on it and oil change due light came on today is this early?
Nope, not at all.... Remember, oil change interval is UP TO 7500 miles. It's going to depend on your driving habits.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by dragtruck1965
I guess I drive too much. I got mine around the same time and I'm almost at the 7500 mark. No oil change light, but I'm deleted so that probably makes a difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change Question