4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

new cummins power ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bdewey
Should make customers happy with thier $40,000 trucks and do the upgrade for free, but sounds like they doing the same thing in 04 when they upgraded to the HO half way through the year to catch up to everyone else.
Not gonna happen. Business is business and that is just bad business. When you purchase something you know that upgrades to the product line are immanent.

Go buy a new computer and in 2 months when the next best thing comes out see if they will upgrade it for free.

The new power ratings are nice, but dont apply for me, as I went back to my handshaker and couldnt be happier. Bad thing is, there is still the potential for the truck to catch the blacklung.

Im just an afternoon of deletes and a good clutch away from something really impressive.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree Blake, with a tuner and full deletes my truck passes those numbers anyway. The core of the platform is the same. Plus the TQ converter is still going to be weak. Maybe a slight upgrade but probably not that much better.

I am still happy to see the upgrades though.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Darn, I'm too slow to post...

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...CAGO/110219997
Old 02-10-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone else besides me caught the fact that with a GVWR of more than 26,000, the driver would be required to have at least a class B CDL?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That class of license requirement, according to the DMV rep I spoke to in NC, is not required for a vehicle registered for personal use with the appropriate weighted tag.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by M Penwald
Has anyone else besides me caught the fact that with a GVWR of more than 26,000, the driver would be required to have at least a class B CDL?
I think that the requirment would only exist for commercial hauling. For those of us towing RV's it's not a issue.

It also depends on the state. Here in Illinois, a truck weighing over 8,000 will have to wear a class "D" commercial plate but the driver is not required to have a CLD unless they are a commercial hauler. This is what our state representive just informed me.

I've been concerned about this since I realized my truck will be over 10,000 lbs after the wheelchair conversion is installed. We are working on changing the state regs to make things more friendly to these trucks. Toss a full toolbox (or a tree) in the back of a Laramie Dually, and have lunch at "Famous Daves" (yum-yum), and you are over weight (and some of us start out overweight ).
Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Not gonna happen. Business is business and that is just bad business.
Ford did it with their new 6.7L. Early buyers that got the engine with a lower power rating were offered a free upgrade from Ford to make their engines match the higher power ratings of the new ones.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by randallp84
Ford did it with their new 6.7L. Early buyers that got the engine with a lower power rating were offered a free upgrade from Ford to make their engines match the higher power ratings of the new ones.
Fords upgrade was a flash only.

You honestly think Dodge is gonna change the PCM, torque converter, the new crankshaft damper and a new rear end to achieve the higher tow rating, for the 2010 guys for free....

Not likely.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:14 PM

I was soooooooooooooooooooo ****** when I read this yeasterday and I am still really upset. My truck is due in next week and I don't even care now I asked the dealer if he would sell my truck and let me reorder but got the big NO. I know I will get the power after I delete and H&S it but if you start out with the new one and do the same you will still be ahead + ya get the better trany cooler and converter, the power stearing cooler and the bigger and better rear axle. Man I f ing new this would happen but hoped it would not come out till next year...... Did I say i was ******!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Redlineguy, I don't know all the details about what you have done on your order. I know I have ordered vehicles before and it ain't yours until you've signed all the paper work. Also, I know in TX you have 3 business days after signing the contract where you can change your mind.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:51 PM

At most, you would lose your deposit. Not taking delivery of an ordered truck is not usually a huge issue unless you ordered something goofy or the dealer is super small. One thing is for certain, if you back out of an order, the dealer is not likely to be really receptive to you wanting to order another.

You cannot finance a truck until it is at the dealer and ready for delivery. If you paid cash in-full up-front, that's a whole other thread.

With a significant mid-model year upgrade, I don't believe the dealer would have much luck in keeping your deposit. One more reason to always use a credit card for deposits as you can always dispute the charge. Personally, I wouldn't ever put down a deposit that I was not willing to walk away from.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM

My friend's 92 400ft/lb 160HP seems to pull everything mine can. Takes a little longer to get up the hill but still gets up there. Why the need for all the extra torque? More power is created by burning more fuel
Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redlineguy
I was soooooooooooooooooooo ****** when I read this yeasterday and I am still really upset. My truck is due in next week and I don't even care now I asked the dealer if he would sell my truck and let me reorder but got the big NO. I know I will get the power after I delete and H&S it but if you start out with the new one and do the same you will still be ahead + ya get the better trany cooler and converter, the power stearing cooler and the bigger and better rear axle. Man I f ing new this would happen but hoped it would not come out till next year...... Did I say i was ******!!!
I have been there.

Is the HO option only going to be in 4.10 dual rear wheel trucks?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Is the HO option only going to be in 4.10 dual rear wheel trucks?
No... to clear up any confusion, the HO engine will be an option on all 2500/3500 trucks that come with the AUTO transmission...

the parts dealing with the 4.10 and dual rear wheels is for the Max Tow package that bumps you up to 22,700 and 30,000GCWR
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool!!!! That would be great for towing my big flippen party barge.... Someone want to pay for it...LOL

Quick Reply: new cummins power ratings