4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

new cummins power ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M Penwald
Has anyone else besides me caught the fact that with a GVWR of more than 26,000, the driver would be required to have at least a class B CDL?
The GVWR is NOT more than 26,000.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted another link to the announcement in the General Diesel section from the RV Business News yesterday. Did not see this one.

Dave
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by redlineguy
The vid I saw said "Standard" . Hmmmmmmmmm
They will be standard on the Auto trucks but that most certainly won't be offered on the manual transmission trucks until the clutch/trans combination is addressed to hold 800lb-ft and be warrantied.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 PM

I just got this PDF file from my Dodge guy, it's from the Chrysler Academy learning center Product information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Internet20110212161153.pdf (318.6 KB, 381 views)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Has anyone else besides me caught the fact that with a GVWR of more than 26,000, the driver would be required to have at least a class B CDL?
This would only exist for commercial hauling. At 26,001 lbs you need a Class A CDL and IFTA sticker.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 PM

With all due respect, the rules requiring a CDL are very explicit. With the exception of certain operations listed under CFR 390.3(f)3, a driver of a vehicle which meets certain criteria MUST have a CDL Class A or B (depending on trailer size) regardless of the vehicle being used for hire or as a private vehicle. Notable exemptions include vehicles registered as "RV", "Historic" or "Farm" under 48K#.

The principle triggers are:

A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more requires a Class B CDL.

Any vehicle towing a trailer with a trailer GVWR of 10,001# or more, regardless of the GVWR of the towing vehicle. In this case, pulling a trailer above 10,001# GVW requires a Class A CDL. You can get a Class A CDL with a "no air brake" restriction for vehicles with juice brakes.

The rules regarding IFTA fuel permits vary from state to state, although this size of truck is certainly qualifying in most states.

Numerous states (like Missouri and California) specifically check for CDL's with these types of vehicles. My point is that while prior configurations were often operated well above manufacturer's advertised GVWR's, with Rams now being touted as such, I believe there will be some people who are caught by surprise roadside.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM

What is the difference between GCWR AND GVWR in that statement, they are saying that it is rated for a GCWR of 30k, the GVWR is still I would imagine in the 11k region.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
So you mean to tell me that just hauling hay on my gooseneck trailer that is rated for 15k pounds I need a CDL.

I cant say what I want to say about that right now, this is a family site.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Driving the truck around by itself you would be fine. They are touting a trailer towing of 22,700# which would put anyone who uses that rating well over CDL A territory (12,699# to be exact). The other issue is that the "creeper cops" are not all shining stars and when you start mixing GVWR and GCWR, they don't always understand the difference. Sure, Ford and GM have been pushing the envelope for some time (especially Ford with the F450), but this is the first time I think any of the big 3 have touted 30k. It's just a much bigger number that is going to catch attention.

Straight from the FMCSA website (among other places):

Classes of License:
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
So you mean to tell me that just hauling hay on my gooseneck trailer that is rated for 15k pounds I need a CDL.

I cant say what I want to say about that right now, this is a family site.
Blake,

If your truck is plated "Farm" and your state offers the exemption for Farm under 48K licensed weight, you'd be okay. Any of the gooseneck trailers would really cause a need for a CDL, but until recently, there was some ambiguity if the manufacturer's GCWR did not exceed 26,000#. With a 30K# GCWR from the factory, that argument goes out the window.

The gooseneck trailers are what are specifically being targeted in Missouri, especially those being used by contractors or non-farming operations. Farm lobby is pretty strong here so they leave them alone for the most part, but then again, most all farmers all know about plating the truck as "Farm" and getting the exemption anyway.

There's volumes to be said on this. Those of us in the antique big rig hobby fight this battle ALL OF THE TIME.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more requires a Class B CDL.
Again, the Ram does NOT have a GVWR over 26k

Any vehicle towing a trailer with a trailer GVWR of 10,001# or more, regardless of the GVWR of the towing vehicle. In this case, pulling a trailer above 10,001# GVW requires a Class A CDL.
This is true for CA residents but not anybody else.

CDL requirements have not changed one bit with these new trucks. They are EXACTLY the same as they have always been.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You guys see that goofy torque curve. Peak 800 ft*lbs torque curve at 1500 but drops back to the stock 6.7Lll rating at 2700 rpm. Its just a new computer programer. You'll get the same thing from H&S or the smarty, just for less money. Diesels typically have a flat torque curve.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...r-ratings.html
Yea, but its turning 750ft lbs at 2000 rpm. Thats a good towing number. My 5.9 with the Juice is advertised at 730 ftlbs in the tow mode. Its a beast running at real close to 23,000 combined.

Dave
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

With all due respect, the rules requiring a CDL are very explicit. With the exception of certain operations listed under CFR 390.3(f)3, a driver of a vehicle which meets certain criteria MUST have a CDL Class A or B (depending on trailer size) regardless of the vehicle being used for hire or as a private vehicle. Notable exemptions include vehicles registered as "RV", "Historic" or "Farm" under 48K#.
They are but CFR 390 is not the rules concerning CDL.

There is no weight limit on the Farm exemption.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Blake,

If your truck is plated "Farm" and your state offers the exemption for Farm under 48K licensed weight, you'd be okay. Any of the gooseneck trailers would really cause a need for a CDL, but until recently, there was some ambiguity if the manufacturer's GCWR did not exceed 26,000#. With a 30K# GCWR from the factory, that argument goes out the window.

The gooseneck trailers are what are specifically being targeted in Missouri, especially those being used by contractors or non-farming operations. Farm lobby is pretty strong here so they leave them alone for the most part, but then again, most all farmers all know about plating the truck as "Farm" and getting the exemption anyway.

There's volumes to be said on this. Those of us in the antique big rig hobby fight this battle ALL OF THE TIME.
Im not farm exempt. Just part time playin with cows.

Originally Posted by Spudder
They are but CFR 390 is not the rules concerning CDL.

There is no weight limit on the Farm exemption.
These Federal regs are so confusing. So at one point does an individual who is not hauling for hire need, if at all, a CDL.

My lil trailer is 15k rated. My 40ft im rebuilding is 30k rated. My truck is 12200 rated. Where does that leave me legally.

I aint never had a CDL and dont plan on getting one, just curious here.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Im not farm exempt. Just part time playin with cows.

These Federal regs are so confusing. So at one point does an individual who is not hauling for hire need, if at all, a CDL.

My lil trailer is 15k rated. My 40ft im rebuilding is 30k rated. My truck is 12200 rated. Where does that leave me legally.

I aint never had a CDL and dont plan on getting one, just curious here.
Basically a straight truck over 26k GVWR or a combination over 26k combined GVWR if the trailer is over 10k GVWR. RV is exempt. Farm is exempt up to 150 miles. I am not aware of any "Historic" exemption.

If your truck has a GVWR of 12,200 and your trailer has a GVWR of 15,000 you need a CDL (when not hauling hay) you must also have USDOT registration, log books and safety equipment (either way).

12,200 + 15,000 = 27,200. 1200 over the 26k cutoff.

I don't have to be plated "Farm" to fall under the exemption so when you are hauling hay for yourself you may be alright without the CDL.

Quick Reply: new cummins power ratings