4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual or Auto

For you guys that have a new truck or you guys looking to buy one, Do you prefer the Manual or Auto Tranny?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM

I prefer to row the boat. I almost ended up with an automatic, I ordered mine and told the dealer that I wanted the 6-speed. Didn't realize at the time that the auto was now a 6-speed as well. Caught the mistake before it was too late.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Just remember the HO motor is only available with the automatic.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 AM

I want to go and test drive one, my dad had an 11 with the auto and the truck was awesome and rode great, I want to try a manual and see. I may look to get one later in the year.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HL649
Just remember the HO motor is only available with the automatic.
HA!

Mine is a G56 HO^2 version....

Row row row your boat.....
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with 4.10's with a auto on my 2012 My next truck will be a manual!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I went with 4.10's with a auto on my 2012 My next truck will be a manual!!
If they still make one and you can find one.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Manual will save you a couple of grand if I remember correctly.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM

If you are going to delete it then you will like the manual. . . If not, get the auto!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by RunningM
If you are going to delete it then you will like the manual. . . If not, get the auto!
Ditto that.

It is easy to boost the HP and torque on a non-HO motor. Very easy.

It is hard to make an auto into a manual.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:12 PM

I am thinking about an auto to but cant seem to make up my mind. I have a 10 3500 dually manual, great truck but I dont need the dually any longer because I got ride of the slide in camper I used it for. I will be pulling a 10k fiver with a boat now though. Drove a 12 auto today and it sure is nice, but I have never owned an auto in my life and not sure I should start now. I thought the mileage was pretty crappy to, only averaged 13mpg very short test drive but my dually gets 15.5 in the same 15 mile stretch of HWY. and I'm not betting it will increase much as my dually has not gotten any better since the day i bought it. I also dont plan on the deletes until my warranty would be up and maybe then. Maybe i should just keep what I have tell me what ya think. what are some pros and cons
Old 03-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by local601
I am thinking about an auto to but cant seem to make up my mind. I have a 10 3500 dually manual, great truck but I dont need the dually any longer because I got ride of the slide in camper I used it for. I will be pulling a 10k fiver with a boat now though. Drove a 12 auto today and it sure is nice, but I have never owned an auto in my life and not sure I should start now. I thought the mileage was pretty crappy to, only averaged 13mpg very short test drive but my dually gets 15.5 in the same 15 mile stretch of HWY. and I'm not betting it will increase much as my dually has not gotten any better since the day i bought it. I also dont plan on the deletes until my warranty would be up and maybe then. Maybe i should just keep what I have tell me what ya think. what are some pros and cons
Keep what you have, toss in a good clutch, multiply that by deletes....

BAM!

Instant Happiness!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by local601
After I sold my 03 2500 I decided to get an SUV as I didn`t really need a truck, still don`t. I bought an auto, first auto in my life. I figured I`m getting older and my joints ain`t what they used to be so it would be nice if someone else changed my gears for me. In the 7 months I owned the thing it spent 3 months at the dealership. The apparently bulletproof Aisin transmission granaded and the ATF that spilled out shorted out the circutry taking out 4 out of the 6 computers and numerous sensors. The entire repair came to just over $26,000. Thank God for extended warranties as I didn`t have to pay anything. As soon as I got it back I called Orleans Chrysler and ordered something with out spark plugs up front backed up by a handshaker.

I am not at all saying that auto trannys are bad, but in my experience 100% of mine failed. Keep your manual and do the deletes.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Transmissions 101. " the only way to guarantee you will never have an automatic transmission problem... is to buy a manual"
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
Transmissions 101. " the only way to guarantee you will never have an automatic transmission problem... is to buy a manual"
My record so far is 7 kills on automatics and 3 kills on manuals

Only thing that ticks me off on the auto on my dodge is it wont hold 6th gear, you would atleast think the truck could slow down before downshifting. tow/haul manual mode it doesn't matter.

Now the auto in the super duties with the 6.7 now that is a kick *** transmission!! It shifts when you hit the button and it holds it gear

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto