4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
My record so far is 7 kills on automatics and 3 kills on manuals
You have to put oil in them or they don't last at all.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a manual. If you ever read the "List your regrets" threads the number one most often mentioned regret is ordering an auto instead of a manual...it certainly is mine.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:24 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by skydiver41
Get a manual. If you ever read the "List your regrets" threads the number one most often mentioned regret is ordering an auto instead of a manual...it certainly is mine.
Three regrets I made on my 08 that ultimately led to my 2011 purchase.

1. Short bed, if your pulling somethin, a longbed is where its at
2. Dually. If that something your pulling is heavy, 4 rear tires > 2 rear tires
3. 68RE.... HANDSHAKER FTW! There is nothing, I mean nothing, like rowing em yourself with a Cummins rumblin under the hood.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:43 PM

my 2012 auto does not downshift from 6th when towing with tow haul, or any time unless it is supposed to, it holds 6th no prob. 4:10 gears duel rear wheels 4x4
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM

and as far as the Super duties, MAYBE the trans are ok, but the are attached to a ticking time bomb, that freakin 6.7, 6.4, 6.0 International diesel. And you are going to say Ford builds the 6.7, and you are correct, but they learned how to build it from Nav star, international. Same old crap.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Timothy Jewell
and as far as the Super duties, MAYBE the trans are ok, but the are attached to a ticking time bomb, that freakin 6.7, 6.4, 6.0 International diesel. And you are going to say Ford builds the 6.7, and you are correct, but they learned how to build it from Nav star, international. Same old crap.
I don't understand why some people insist on badmouthing another brand when there is plenty of evidence that no one manufacturer is much better or worse than the next.

You think Dodges are without problems?

As far as the Ford 6.7L, we will see how it performs over time but so far it seems to be doing quite well overall. The 6.4L suffers from the same choking effect that the Cummins 6.7L does. Open them up and both will perform very well. The 6.0L, if left stock, appears to be a decent engine, too.

And then there's the 7.3L like I have. It isn't flashy but it gets the job done and keeps going and going and going.

Now that I have my '94 Dodge/Cummins my Powerstroke seems boring but that doesn't mean it's any less a truck.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Wobblin-Goblin
I don't understand why some people insist on badmouthing another brand when there is plenty of evidence that no one manufacturer is much better or worse than the next.

You think Dodges are without problems?

As far as the Ford 6.7L, we will see how it performs over time but so far it seems to be doing quite well overall. The 6.4L suffers from the same choking effect that the Cummins 6.7L does. Open them up and both will perform very well. The 6.0L, if left stock, appears to be a decent engine, too.

And then there's the 7.3L like I have. It isn't flashy but it gets the job done and keeps going and going and going.

Now that I have my '94 Dodge/Cummins my Powerstroke seems boring but that doesn't mean it's any less a truck.
Well put, and the 7.3 was a good engine. My FIL is working on 300k on his 96 and has only put a set of glowplugs in it.

Worms brother Tony had a 6.0 he put 150k trouble free miles on it. Knock on wood.

Two friends of mine, local farmers, have two 08 6.4's. The Dads truck has been perfect. The sons truck is in like new condition, from spending countless hours inside the safety and security of the local dealers repair bay......

I have yet to ride in a 6.7 PS. Heard that they are impressive though.

But,

Ill keep my lil ole 6 cylinder
Old 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM

I had a 08 F450 and that 6.4 was the worse on Fuel, try 10mpg , I kept it 7 months and got rid of it, I was never a Ford Guy to begin with, I tried it anyway and found out for myself. I wish I could have kept the truck and put a Cummins in it, that would have been the perfect truck.. I also had a Duramax and that truck was good to me, nothing bad to say about it. I am not bad mouthing any of them, just speaking from experience, that is why I am back to a Cummins Diesel,
Because of Reputation and Longevity!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:17 AM

When i wear out this truck.... I'll rebuild it.. Best thing i ever did was buy a hand shaker.. I miss my 01 and really miss my 04.. but the long box and stick make up for it.. It's a dream to drive.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello gentlemen, A few weeks late to add to this thread, but hopefully not too late. I had an hour long talk with a dealer today. I am looking at two diff trucks. A 12' 2500 crew, 4X4 with 6manual. And a 12' 3500 chassis cab crew 6manual. Both trucks in SLT, cummins, 3.42 anit-slip diff, with various options will run me 43K. I read a few replies back that there is an HO motor out there. Also something called a delete. Is this referencing taking out the DPF? I want the standard as there aren't many out there. I tow occasionally and will most likely get the 2500 SLT. If I am to understand, would it be better to get the HO motor and manual combo? Or just get the standard motor and manual and do the DPF and hope it wont kill my warranty? T-minus 3 weeks and counting before I order my truck.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Pretty sure you can't get the HO with a manual trans and even then the motor is "de-rated" below the auto because of the clutch. Knowing what I know now there are so many things to consider when buying a Cummins diesel now and unfortunately I didn't know enough when I purchased. If I had it to do over even though a dually is ridiculous in the city, that's what I should have bought as the payload is too low because of the weight of the engine. I should also have bought a manual but broke down and bought an auto because I couldn't find one. I should have known I would have to replace the clutch with a double disc and also have to do the deletes. I should also have bought in the US as I was bound to lose the warranty anyway and could have saved a bundle of cash. In other words I totally blew it.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Soooo I bought an auto and got rid of the dually manual. I would be lying if I said I didnt have some remorse. I put 600 miles in the new truck this weekend and all I can really say is its OK. being able to lock in the gears with this auto helps a little as I can shift it where I want, I felt it was shifting a little to soon on the hills for my liking. I sure did love the dually but with only a fiver on the weekends to pull i dont need one and was thinking i might save a little in rubber and fuel, and my wife is way more cozy behind the auto. So i guess we'll see.......change is good right?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Having nightmares about buying a 50K truck and losing warranty to save motor..........
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by thegoat86
Having nightmares about buying a 50K truck and losing warranty to save motor..........

I hate to say it.. Some trucks will need the warranty.. My fathers 11 keeps tossing codes, he is under 8000 km. I have 52000 km on my 11 and it has tossed one code.. dirty Mass air flow.. I'm ready to toss the epa junk out.. He wouldnt dare.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by redneck1
After I sold my 03 2500 I decided to get an SUV as I didn`t really need a truck, still don`t. I bought an auto, first auto in my life. I figured I`m getting older and my joints ain`t what they used to be so it would be nice if someone else changed my gears for me. In the 7 months I owned the thing it spent 3 months at the dealership. The apparently bulletproof Aisin transmission granaded and the ATF that spilled out shorted out the circutry taking out 4 out of the 6 computers and numerous sensors. The entire repair came to just over $26,000. Thank God for extended warranties as I didn`t have to pay anything. As soon as I got it back I called Orleans Chrysler and ordered something with out spark plugs up front backed up by a handshaker.

I am not at all saying that auto trannys are bad, but in my experience 100% of mine failed. Keep your manual and do the deletes.
What transmission you have? The aisin is only available in chassis cab trucks. My RFE68 (dodge transmission) has been up to the duty, way better than my 02 RE47 ever was.

Hate to say, but the G56 has its issues as well.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto