4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Limited slip axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgeChallenger
I am going to try and have the last say here (ha ha) . A few years ago the first snow came to Western Canada in the form of 8" in 2 hours. The TransCanada highway turned into a parking lot for everyone. I was 30 miles back in the mountains with every one else parked because THE HEAVY 4X4's would slide sideways towards the ditches on the banked corners. Along comes Barry in the Subaru driving around all the obstacles - semis, buses and the heavy 4x4s. Think I sold a few subarus that day. Yes! It is only good on the slippery highways though. That I concede.
Sorry but you don't get the last word! (LOL) I've driven those "HEAVY 4X4's" on roads recently covered with two feet of snow in the Sierras, and the little (translate: low clearance) vehicles would get high centered after enough of the new snow built up underneath them. And I wasn't slipping sideways into ditches...
That being said, I do think it has a lot to do with the roads, the snow, a little luck or lack thereof, and perhaps most importantly, the driver. I had the pleasure of driving in MN during one winter, and noticed that the entrance clovers to the freeways didn't seem to be banked very much (irritating when the roads are clear and you can't take them too fast because you'll roll over to the outside). When the snow got crusty I found out why - any more banking and while going slow you WOULD slide to the inside. But, my HEAVY 4X4 did just fine - because I knew how to drive it. And yet there were plenty of small Subaru-like 4X's who would slide off the road because the driver did NOT know how to drive.
We can probably "argue" the merits of what works best in what type of snow when and where, forever, but I do think ultimately, it's the driver that really determines the success (or failure) of the drive. I used to cruise down from Truckee to So Lake in the eves to do some gaming, and back then I would be going all out, passing people over and over, and all I had was a 2WD with some radical snows on it. But I knew how to drive in the stuff. My suspicion is that you would have done just fine on the Trans Canadian in one of the HEAVY 4X4's also...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
DJM

Ok now I have a question. Does anyone make a combination limited slip/locker for the dodge 2500 similar to the one Chrysler uses in the Jeep Rubicon. It has an automatically activated, as needed, limited slip rear with a switch activated locker all in one.

Any ideas, I have not been able to find one.

Thanks in advance for any information or assistance.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJM
Ok now I have a question. Does anyone make a combination limited slip/locker for the dodge 2500 similar to the one Chrysler uses in the Jeep Rubicon. It has an automatically activated, as needed, limited slip rear with a switch activated locker all in one.

Any ideas, I have not been able to find one.

Thanks in advance for any information or assistance.
I think the Jeep is open diff until locked. Could be wrong.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:00 PM
DJM

I have 2004 Jeep Rubicon, the rear axle has a limited slip that activates as needed, and a switch on the dash that locks the axle.

I was hoping to find a similar unit for my dodge 2500. The front axle of the jeep is open unless I lock it by activating the switch.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJM
I have 2004 Jeep Rubicon, the rear axle has a limited slip that activates as needed, and a switch on the dash that locks the axle.

I was hoping to find a similar unit for my dodge 2500. The front axle of the jeep is open unless I lock it by activating the switch.
Maybe Power Wagon parts for front locker. Can also check ARB.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM
DJM

Thanks, I have no problem finding lockers for front and/or the rear diff.

What I would like to find is a combination locker & limited slip diff for the rear just like I have in my Rubicon.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:13 AM

I usually don't pay much attention to what salesmen tell me, but when one tells me NOT to buy something, there may be something to it.
The Dodge salesman told me not to order limited slip on my new truck because it had a traction control system that automatically applied the brake on the wheel that was spinning. When he said that, it reminded me that in the days before limited slip, applying the brakes lightly used to be a common trick. The theory was that if both rear wheels had some resistance, they'd both turn together. As I recall, it wasn't as good as limited slip, but it sort of worked.
Any comments on whether the new system really does eliminate the need for linited slip?