4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Guess I need a long slender funnel for adding anti-gel

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Guess I need a long slender funnel for adding anti-gel

-33° here this morning (I realize that's down-right balmy for some of you folks). Was merrily driving to work when I passed one, then two, then three(!) diesel trucks/pickups broke down on the side of the road*. Suddenly occurred to me I hadn't put any anti-gel in the tank. Stopped by a fleet service dealer that is conveniently along the way and grabbed a bottle of powerservice. Went to dump it in and WTHeck? Yeah, that capless system isn't compatible with the bottle. I pushed the "cap" (flapper door) inward with my leatherman tool, went to dump it in and it immediately overflowed all over the side of the truck, WTHeck X2!! There's ANOTHER flapper door below the first one! Ok, you guys probably knew this already, but it was news to me. Rummaged around in my truck and found a longer "L" shaped tool I use for something else to push both flapper doors open and empty whatever was left of my $6.50 bottle of powerservice into the tank. Got the tool stuck trying to get it out, but eventually pulled/twisted it free.

Guess I need to carry a funnel now.

*BTW, seeing a Toyota Tacoma towing a 1-ton Dually Furd pulling a trailer (probably gelled up, but you never know...) down the highway made my day! I should have taken a picture.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, wait: This Tacoma was pulling a 1-ton dually pickup, which was also towing trailer?

This comes to mind.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ColeRollington
So, wait: This Tacoma was pulling a 1-ton dually pickup, which was also towing trailer?
YES!! But only 25mph (in a 60 zone). Probably had it in 4-low to get enough torque (trailer was empty, just a flat bed).

I really should've stopped and got a picture or tried to take a video as I passed them...
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sure am glad that I buy good fuel. I have yet to ever had fuel gell on me even at -40. knock on wood.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
Guess I need to carry a funnel now.
Actually.......you have a funnel attached to your jack w/tools which is stored under the passenger front seat. It's intended use is for adding fuel into the tank when one encounters an out-of-fuel situation, and fuel must be added from a five-gallon jug or similar. It's not much....but it does trip the 2nd flapper.

This is the funnel I use whenever I add additives in the winter months. I keep it clean and wrapped up in a garbage bag inside my toolbox.

The following users liked this post:
SOhappy (01-09-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
I sure am glad that I buy good fuel. I have yet to ever had fuel gell on me even at -40. knock on wood.
About 5 years ago I pulled into Shell station to refuel, it was December time and -30c ish. It had been mild until recently then gotten cold so I thought I would just ask inside if they had "winter" fuel in the tanks. The person inside didn't have a clue what winter fuel was so I was just going to go outside and fill up anyway. Someone came running out from inside saying don't use the fuel, they had someone just freeze up. My point is you really don't know what fuel you are filling your tank with, you just have to rely on the fuel station.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gsbrockman
Actually.......you have a funnel attached to your jack w/tools which is stored under the passenger front seat. It's intended use is for adding fuel into the tank when one encounters an out-of-fuel situation, and fuel must be added from a five-gallon jug or similar. It's not much....but it does trip the 2nd flapper.
Oh wow, they thought of everything! (Almost). Haven't even looked under the passenger seat yet. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsbrockman

This is the funnel I use whenever I add additives in the winter months. I keep it clean and wrapped up in a garbage bag inside my toolbox.

This is the same thing that I use, I do have the emergency funnel, but I don't want that smell in my cab. so, I don't use it. this one works great, and likewise I keep it on a zipped lock bag to keep it clean