3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

anti-gel

Old 11-08-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti-gel

Where can I buy a good anti-gel fuel additive and what brand? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:24 PM

Re:anti-gel

The one I've used for years with terrific results and no gelling problems even to -61 below is Stanadyne. I know you can also get Power Service and Shell but for me it's Stanadyne. My dad used it years and years ago, and I've just picked it up from him. If it's good enough for the big rigs hauling to the North Slope in -70 below conditions, it's good enough anywhere IMO.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:42 PM

[quote author=XTOAK link=board=17;threadid=22170;start=0#msg207455 date=1068333863]
The one I've used for years with terrific results and no gelling problems even to -61 below is Stanadyne. I know you can also get Power Service and Shell but for me it's Stanadyne. My dad used it years and years ago, and I've just picked it up from him. If it's good enough for the big rigs hauling to the North Slope in -70 below conditions, it's good enough anywhere IMO.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. At what temperature should I start using the anti-gel?
Old 11-08-2003, 08:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You can buy Power-Service at Walmart.
When temps get near freezing is a good time to start.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:11 PM

I start using it when it gets to dipping below 20 degrees at night. Most of the stations up here start using blended diesel early in the fall so I don't worry about it until it starts to get really cold. We've had an very warm, late fall this year so haven't used it until I fill up tomorrow as forecast is for teens by Tuesday night and highs of 30.

For anyone in Anchorage or southcentral Alaska, the Shell station at the corner of Minnesota and Northern Lights is currently selling out all of their Stanadyne stock for $39.99 for a case of twelve (12) 16 ounce bottles - a steal!!
Old 11-13-2003, 10:08 PM

I thought the blend of 2 and 1 went far below 20 degrees. The local Cummins shop told me not to even add anything unless I am going to be in sustained temps well below freezing.

By the way, does adding the additive boost your lost mileage back up?
Old 11-14-2003, 12:36 AM

I've never seen a noticeable difference in my mileage when I use it. Regardless of the possible mileage increase, I use it on nights like tonight - the thermometer currently reads 6 degrees farenheit at 9:20 p.m. thus it's going to be very cold tonight. (And even colder for the next several nights per the weather service.)

I wouldn't be caught dead without Stanadyne (or something) in my tank no matter what the Dodge or Cummins mechanics told me. I've wrestled with too many gelled fuel filters at -20 degrees and it's no picnic. To each their own but I like my fingers with a little feeling in them...not extremely tingly or numb. ;D
Old 11-14-2003, 09:55 AM

I think the Cummins guys were correct in thier advise and the real test would be to ask the fuel makers as they would have all the specs. My father in law worked to make fuel for 30+ years with Union Oil (probably still the best). He never ran additives in his diesel MB but then again he didnt live in Alaska.

I think you are at one extreme end of the scale. Down here in Oregon I dont think we get even close to those temps.

I probably will add something when it gets consistently in the freezing range but only due to paranoia not facts probably

I sure loved my flyfishing down the Kenai. ;D
Old 11-14-2003, 12:06 PM

I couldn't agree more in that most folks in the lower 49 wouldn't have a need to use an additive unless your in North Dakota or one of the northern tier states that catches some very cold weather. For the most part, if you've got #1 or a blend in the tank, you'll be fine but if it's well below 10 degrees for a while, then it's a good idea to use it.

I too work for an oil company and am very familar with diesel properties. Biggest reason I'd use it when it gets near freezing is if a station still was pumping #2 and hadn't received their shipment of blend or #1.

Last nights forecast was for 8 degrees, but the thermometer this morning when I went to work was -4 degrees...wouldn't be caught dead without antigel. To each their own.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:54 PM

If you have ever messed with a gelled fuel filter you would not even question the need for anti-gel. The only problem with blended diesel or un blended is you can't tell by looking. I was once forced to buy at an unfamiliar station during the holidays, the clerk told me their fuel was blended but I was fighting with a gelled filter abou 80 miles down the road. It does not get real cold here in Indiana, but anti-gel is cheap insurance. Many additives do contain cetane boost which will help recover some of the lost power with blended fuel.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's already been down to 12 degrees here in the Adirondack Mtns of New York, and last year it was -35 here. I use Power Service at (NAPA) 8 oz per 25 gal or close as you can get to it.
Some dealers that don't sell much fuel may still have unblended fuel in thier tanks when cold weather arrives.
I am not taking any chances, for I to have froze my fingers changing filters in freezing weather.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:26 PM

Yesterday morning I was on my way back from Anchorage and when I went through Sterling, it was -21 degrees! Antigel is insurance to help you from having to get out of that warm cab, crawl up there and change a filter, and then explain to the family when you crawl back into the truck why you can't feel your fingers anymore...plus you won't have to face your wife giving you that "I told you so" look.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 AM

found power service on sale for $3 for the size that treats 100 gallons. at that price, what can it hurt? never heard of anyone having problems attributed to power service.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At The local NAPA store it is on sale for $7.99 for the large bottle treats 300 gal. What a deal!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:10 PM

;D I buy my power servoce through one of our distributors at work for $2.08 a 100gal bottle. I do have to buy at least a case but it doesn't spoil. Check with any bulk oil distibuters in your area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anti-gel