4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dodge automatic transmissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge automatic transmissions

I am looking at the new 2010 3500 series with an automatic when they come out. I know that Dodge had some trouble with their old automatic transmissions, but what about the new ones (6-Speed Automatic 68RFE). I have always been a GM person, and love the allison, but the 2010 duramax that has the urea tank does not sit well with me. I may go to dodge. My wife has a durango, and I love driving it. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the DTR web Site!
I think earlier Dodge trannys get a bad rap!
Most problems with previous autos were due to adding HP or towing very heavy. With some reinforcing, the earlier Dodge tranny can handle a lot of both!
But, the new six speed 68FRE auto tranny appears to be a real winner!

Read HERE for some good feedback! FYI - previous 4 speed auto trans were 48RE (2003-07) and the 47RE (96-02)
Hit 'Search' button and try "68FRE" for additional info.

RJ
Old 11-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't call the old autos "troublesome". They could handle stock hp (+ a little) just fine. The only real drawback is that they are 4-speeds. That said, the gobs of Cummins torque almost makes up for that deficiency.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Talking Trans

Dodge trans are not that bad, Its the TQ's thats the real problem!
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM

from what this old man has seen most of the problems around here were from overloading. sometimes over double what the truck was rated for. increase of power by just a little made the torgue converter a slush pump and caused overheating
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM

so which one would be better...the automatic or the manual? I am not a big fan of shifting, but I do not want the lesser of the two? Also, I have heard that they have trouble keeping a front end in a dodge truck. Have they increased this issue to a more heavy duty front end (ball joints etc.)?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jwolfe3
so which one would be better...the automatic or the manual? I am not a big fan of shifting, but I do not want the lesser of the two? Also, I have heard that they have trouble keeping a front end in a dodge truck. Have they increased this issue to a more heavy duty front end (ball joints etc.)?
Buy what you like. Some folks have had issues with the front ball joints but that is just about the same for any make 4x4. Not much to complain about in my book. You won't be sitting on the side of the road like others. That's the main thing, to get from A to B with no layovers on the side of the road LOL...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jwolfe3
so which one would be better...the automatic or the manual?.......Also, I have heard that they have trouble keeping a front end in a dodge truck. ?
If you tow over 10,000 lbs often... get the manual, preferably a 6 speed. If not, your choice.
(But with the new automatics, this may not be true). I like shifting, but I love my Cummins/Automatic combo!
Only real weakness in the front end, IMO, is the lack of support for the steering box. Several good and not expensive support brackets available to correct that problem. My Ball Joints are still factory at 190,000 miles.... just starting to show wear.

Many problems you hear about can be traced back to oversized tires, after market wheels, poor maintainence or abusive driving.... expecting the frame/body to handle as much as the Cummins will. JMO.
Also, on sites like this, you hear mostly from those having problems.... not the thousands that are more than satisfied.
As mentioned ^, with 4x4's, it depends on how hard you work them. Front end on the 2x4's appear to be fairly trouble free.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM

I'm very happy with my 68RFE. Its great for towing.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:14 AM

auto

I havn't towed anything with mine yet but from the 4 speed that I had in my 06 to this 6 Speed its night and day difference IMHO I did tow my 7x20 enclosed cargo trailer that weighs about 3500lbs and on tow haul and the exhaust break its really amazing!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 PM

I tow 4 x 4 heavy with the 68 RFE. It's more than enough for the truck's warranty limits. Never had a problem.

Wouldn't go back to a manual after owning and hauling with two 68 RFEs'.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 PM

I havent done alot of towing with my 68RFE, but when I have it was excellent, I have hauled the work trailer (about 5k) didnt even notice it was there. I had to go pick up my bro and his now sold 3/4 ton chevy that was loaded to the max, had all his stuff, his truck and gear on the car hauler,set the cruise @ 65mph and drove 3 straight hours passed cars with no problems, tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake are excellent and got 14 mpgs as well.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:20 PM

I hauled heavy with my auto 80% of the time and had no probs loved it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM

I put about 60K per year on a truck and have had 4 Dodges and had an 07 Chevy. The Chevy was nice, but it did not feel like a truck. I bought it expecting a smoother ride than the Dodge and it did not deliver on that point. If I could have the Allison or the 68RFE, I would choose the 68RFE. It seems to be more intuitive than the Allison.

What I miss on my Chevy
The gizmos were nicer than my 08. Auto headlights, count down to oil change and other electrical gizmos. 16 inch tires (more choices)

What I hated about the Chevy

24 Gallon fuel tank, the tail pipe, the 24 gallon fuel tank, about 1 less MPG than the dodge, 24 gallon fuel tank (200 mile range towing)
Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 AM

I went from a 2000 with a 4 speed auto to the 6 speed 68RFE and man, what a transmission. Always in the right gear, no hunting, and the engine brake, what a marvelous thing to put on a truck at no extra charge. It stops the truck hard and is very impressive. I've towed heavy with it and it works great. First and second are lower gears than first gear in the 48RE to get the load moving and 5th and 6th are a double overdrive. I'm pretty picky about things and this tranny is awesome.

Now if there was some easy way to get rid of that stupid regeneration, it would all be good.

Quick Reply: Dodge automatic transmissions