4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins V8 diesel on the move

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RamPB331
My 09 Challenger R/T will do 5600 RPMs RELIABLY!!! Don't see your point about anything waiting to explode.
Nope, they already make a beautiful GASSER for 1/2 tons.

All some of us ask is they make the same thing in Diesel. Making a V8 Hotrod Diesel is wonderful, but not terribly practical. A 5.0 V8 Diesel for a 1/2 ton is roughly akin to stuffing a V10 in there, sure you can, but WHY?

Ever drive an I5 Sprinter? Plenty fast, plenty torquey. Huge Vans getting 26-27 MPG, delivering goods......... The same formula will be a hit with a 1/2 ton truck.

But you are right, Chrysler will continue to market trucks to people who believe they need the baddest HP/Torque, and nothing will change, at least until Toyota figures it out.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Nope, they already make a beautiful GASSER for 1/2 tons.

All some of us ask is they make the same thing in Diesel. Making a V8 Hotrod Diesel is wonderful, but not terribly practical. A 5.0 V8 Diesel for a 1/2 ton is roughly akin to stuffing a V10 in there, sure you can, but WHY?

Ever drive an I5 Sprinter? Plenty fast, plenty torquey. Huge Vans getting 26-27 MPG, delivering goods......... The same formula will be a hit with a 1/2 ton truck.

But you are right, Chrysler will continue to market trucks to people who believe they need the baddest HP/Torque, and nothing will change, at least until Toyota figures it out.
It's actually 5.6 L. I don't know where the 5.0 figure you guys come up with comes from. They could put the 4.2 L diesel in there for an economy model, and still be an acceptable puller in a 1/2 ton at roughly the same HP and TQ as the original Cummins Rams, albeit a different TQ curve. As for V versus I, it's a form factor decision, driven by aerodynamics that aren't an issue in a Sprinter or a 3/4 T and up pickup or medium and up truck. We use V motors in military armored vehicles (Cummins 903 for example) and have done so successfully for decades.

Besides, with all the money these companies put into market research, if they thought putting an I4 B motor in a 1/2 ton pickup would sell, it would be on the street by now. Do you know of any in the U.S. market?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by RamPB331
Besides, with all the money these companies put into market research, if they thought putting an I4 B motor in a 1/2 ton pickup would sell, it would be on the street by now. Do you know of any in the U.S. market?
No, believe it or not, someone has to have the foresight to produce it.

That being said, across the world, small 4 cyl. diesels are running, producing fantastic mileage, and not all of them are slow pigs either. You can look at the plethora of 4 cyl conversions, from Isuzu to Cummins to see the validity. Many people live in either locations where Emissions prevents such a swap, or they physically do not posses the skills or a place to do the swap.

You actually think market research in the big 3 Auto companies is valid?

C'mon, if that were the case they would not be giving cars away and going Bankrupt.

As for the form factor, I don't know of a single 1/2 ton truck that doesn't have plenty of height to stuff a 4ISB in there.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:35 PM

No, believe it or not, someone has to have the foresight to produce it.

That being said, across the world, small 4 cyl. diesels are running, producing fantastic mileage, and not all of them are slow pigs either. You can look at the plethora of 4 cyl conversions, from Isuzu to Cummins to see the validity. Many people live in either locations where Emissions prevents such a swap, or they physically do not posses the skills or a place to do the swap.

You actually think market research in the big 3 Auto companies is valid?
More valid than a handful of guys setting on computers thinking they know at any rate.

C'mon, if that were the case they would not be giving cars away and going Bankrupt.
Actually, in case you haven't noticed, it's a WHOLE LOT MORE COMPLICATED than that, between labor contracts and all. Nobody wanted light duty diesel pickups when the fuel costs were low. Nobody wanted light duty diesel pickups when diesel prices went thru the roof. Now that diesel fuel is roughly on parity with gas, and in the mid-high 2s, gasoline engine fuel economy is getting close to B motor range. My dad's 07 1500 gets 18 on the highway.

As for the form factor, I don't know of a single 1/2 ton truck that doesn't have plenty of height to stuff a 4ISB in there.
Even if it did, so what. The 5.6 (or maybe it is 5.0, as allpar is showing) liter V8 has an additional (half) liter over a 4.5, and (1) 1.7 liters over a 3.9, at roughly the same weight, owing to it's engine block composition. Who is going to buy a 1/2 ton truck with a 4 cylinder engine in it in the US. I'll tell you: NOBODY, point blank and period. I wouldn't buy it. Now, if they made a small I6, like a scaled down 6B, I'd be in like Flynn, and so would you, I'm sure. But WE aren't the general buying public. They can't justify it on a cost-benefit basis I4 or small I6 truck engine that's not designed yet. The V6 and V8 Cummins is production ready.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Sigh, I give up.

Guess I will just stick with my 4ISB in the truck I have.

At least until Toyota puts one in a factory truck.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:12 PM

Sigh, I give up.

Guess I will just stick with my 4ISB in the truck I have.

At least until Toyota puts one in a factory truck.
You may have to wait awhile. Me? I'm not buying a Toyota, and I have friends that assembled them, until they built the SATX plant. Good truck, don't get me wrong, but they're not any better than a Dodge, in reality. Certainly not better than an 09+ version.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 AM

The two trucks I am waiting for to come out with a half ton diesel is dodge and toyota! who ever gets a diesel out first I would buy in a heartbeat.